Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strazdas wrote: »
    For sure, but that would mean a very big split. Probably half the party membership are of the looney, reactionary variety.

Come on now thats not fair. No way the number is as low as 50% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Come on now thats not fair. No way the number is as low as 50% :D

Would it not be looney half left and looney half right. Doesn't seem like any other option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Blanco100 wrote: »
    At the same time I don't see Donaldson as a front for paramilitaries either, lad is a blow in from UUP, he's church of Ireland too which is distinct from more loony free Presbyterian Church that many DUP members seem to inhabit.

Just on RTÉ that Donaldson, although not a free Presbyterian, is on the evangelical wing of the Presbyterian church, so he is not CoI; I thought they would all be CoI up there given that the queen is leader of the church......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jizique wrote: »
    Just on RTÉ that Donaldson, although not a free Presbyterian, is on the evangelical wing of the Presbyterian church, so he is not CoI; I thought they would all be CoI up there given that the queen is leader of the church......
    Arlene is CoI, a woman and from west of the Bann and didn't leave the UUP until the DUP overtook them after six years. So not a true believer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Poots was a very strange choice as leader. He's a poor speaker, doesn't inspire confidence and doesn't even seem the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Sir Jeffrey may be promising a wee bit more than he can deliver, even if he could control all the MP's that Arlene couldn't.
    "If elected, I will ensure that the government doesn't just listen, but recognises the need to take decisive action to deal quickly with the protocol.

Boris doesn't need the DUP who took a wad of cash and undermined the previous Tory PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

batman75 wrote: »
    It seems odd that Poots ousted Foster without a proper plan to govern once his coup had succeeded. Doubly odd he nominated someone else to be FM.
    History won’t record Foster’s time as FM as being successful. Poots will be a footnote in history.
    Donaldson needs to unite the party. That may entail keeping Poots as agri minister. Apparently Poots lack of acknowledgement of Donaldson in his victory speech was the start of the end for Poots. Poots was felt to have lacked grace.
    If the Union with the UK is the raisin d’etre for the party can it function with a purpose in a UI?
    Unionists will still have their UK identity in a united Ireland so I don't see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Jizique wrote: »

The queen is the head of the Church of England, but not of the Church of Ireland. Both are members of the worldwide Anglican Communion. CoI is completely autonomous

CoI is only the third largest Christian demonisation in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Terry.. wrote: »
    Unionists will still have their UK identity in a united Ireland so I don't see why not

But they wouldn't be living in the UK. That's the point no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jeffery crowned leader without opposition,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

In the DUP they install a leader first and then start the opposition to the leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭josip

Heavy is the head...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    You do realise that the DUP have said they will collapse the executive if they don't get of the ILA, sounds like blocking to me. Same as the other Unionist Parties. Never give an inch to nationalists, but hey they'll be burning tricolours in a few weeks as Unionists will see nothing wrong.
    What part of Ulster/British culture are you missing? Not been allowed to hang offensive Union Jacks everywhere, march where ye are not wanted. You've got everything, it's time to give something to Nationalists, hell ye still have a protestant police force.

There is nothing we need. Unionists and nationalists are both exceptionally well of. We are fairly free to practice our culture, identity, pastimes, etc.
    I think what you are talking about is an act that states that you can have you language on all communications that arrive through my door from government.
    I have no problem if you have irish tattooed on your head, but don't force it on me - and I equally agree that my culture and pastimes should not be forced on you with your own taxes

It is really simple equity that i want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The orange order won't let you join if you are a catholic

what is the point you are making and why quote me when i didn't mention the OO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sir Jeffrey may be promising a wee bit more than he can deliver, even if he could control all the MP's that Arlene couldn't.
    "If elected, I will ensure that the government doesn't just listen, but recognises the need to take decisive action to deal quickly with the protocol.

Boris doesn't need the DUP who took a wad of cash and undermined the previous Tory PM.

At this stage, all the DUP has is bluster, and its rhetoric resembles that of the spouse who knows its partner is utterly sick of them, but unwilling to face reality. When the only firm allies they have are the simmering paramilitary gangs, eager to strike up violence again, it's a sure sign of increasing - or existing - obsolescence. The sooner moderate Unionism through the UUP or Alliance takes over the representation of that demographic, the better. The DUP had its chance to a party of governance and spurned it at every given opportunity (bar "the chuckle brothers" period, arguably). All they know is how to be the malcontent; never happy, steeped in fear of its own heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Speedsie wrote: »
    The queen is the head of the Church of England, but not of the Church of Ireland. Both are members of the worldwide Anglican Communion. CoI is completely autonomous

CoI is only the third largest Christian demonisation in NI.

As Brendan Behan famously remarked of the C of E
    " The foundation stone of its temple was the b****x of Henry viii "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

downcow wrote: »
    There is nothing we need. Unionists and nationalists are both exceptionally well of. We are fairly free to practice our culture, identity, pastimes, etc.
    I think what you are talking about is an act that states that you can have you language on all communications that arrive through my door from government.
    I have no problem if you have irish tattooed on your head, but don't force it on me - and I equally agree that my culture and pastimes should not be forced on you with your own taxes

The lack of a sense of irony is staggering.

downcow wrote: »

So you are equally against all government funding of sports and arts I assume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jeffery confirmed as leader.

As Brendan Behan famously remarked of the C of E
    " The foundation stone of its temple was the b****x of Henry viii "

Indeed! Still Queen Elizabeth II has nothing to do with the CoI in either RoI or NI, which people seem to forget.
    She is head of the Church of England, which has nothing to do with the running of the Church of Ireland.

Anyway, ultimate fence sitters Anglican, Via Media in all things. Neither Protestant nor Catholic, but somewhere in between.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

pixelburp wrote:
    At this stage, all the DUP has is bluster, and its rhetoric resembles that of the spouse who knows its partner is utterly sick of them, but unwilling to face reality. When the only firm allies they have are the simmering paramilitary gangs, eager to strike up violence again, it's a sure sign of increasing - or existing - obsolescence. The sooner moderate Unionism through the UUP or Alliance takes over the representation of that demographic, the better. The DUP had its chance to a party of governance and spurned it at every given opportunity (bar "the chuckle brothers" period, arguably). All they know is how to be the malcontent; never happy, steeped in fear of its own heritage.

As long as the DUP remains in Siege mentality, their position is going to wither. Their only hope to keep their aims is to try to make NI attractive enough to convince the non extremists that remaining part of the UK is in their interest.

Instead, they are bulking up the bunker with political sandbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed! Still Queen Elizabeth II has nothing to do with the CoI in either RoI or NI, which people seem to forget.
    She is head of the Church of England, which has nothing to do with the running of the Church of Ireland.

Anyway, ultimate fence sitters Anglican, Via Media in all things. Neither Protestant nor Catholic, but somewhere in between.....

Nothing to do with Scotland either - it has its own religion (the Church of Scotland naturally enough).

It's an interesting situation that the Queen is the head of the religion in England but has no religious authority in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Nothing to do with Scotland either - it has its own religion (the Church of Scotland naturally enough).

It's an interesting situation that the Queen is the head of the religion in England but has no religious authority in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Church of Scotland is Presbyterian, the Scottish equivalent of the CoI/CoE is the Scottish Episcopal Church. In Wales, it's the 'Church in Wales'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Church of Scotland is Presbyterian, the Scottish equivalent of the CoI/CoE is the Scottish Episcopal Church. In Wales, it's the 'Church in Wales'.

Wales is an interesting one. Has no actual established religion and doesn't have any central leader such as an archbishop either - apparently it also has one of the highest rates of atheism in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Wales is an interesting one. Has no actual established religion and doesn't have any central leader such as an archbishop either - apparently it also has one of the highest rates of atheism in the UK.

They have protected indigenous language rights though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

For sure, but that would mean a very big split. Probably half the party membership are of the looney, reactionary variety.

But they have nowhere to go. If they form their own mad biblical party, they’ll just be helping SF across the line. Longer term, the big challenge will be a border poll and Unionists need a leader who won’t make people vote against their own financial interests. A Daniel O’Donnell lookalike with an eclectic taste in movies might just do the trick.

golfball37 wrote: »
    They have protected indigenous language rights though

Legal protection only occurred because the Welsh continued to speak their own language, unlike ourselves. Policy eventually caught up to reflect cultural realities.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Legal protection only occurred because the Welsh continued to speak their own language, unlike ourselves. Policy eventually caught up to reflect cultural realities.

The act was passed in 2011 when Welsh speakers were 20% and has risen to 30% since helped greatly by a boom in Welsh language schools post act.
    Which all bodes well for the ILA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The act was passed in 2011 when Welsh speakers were 20% and has risen to 30% since helped greatly by a boom in Welsh language schools post act.

Would have thought those figures would be higher. Worked on a ship in late 90s and most if not all of those from North Wales were fluent.

Let’s hope so. The Welsh record on speaking their own language is very different from ours. They’ve done a much better job than we have.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would have thought those figures would be higher. Worked on a ship in late 90s and most if not all of those from North Wales were fluent.

A good few people who live in North Wales aren’t from there. Some smaller places are still a bit like Quebec which is great to see. When you go into a shop, the two ladies at the cash stop talking ‘foreign’, size you up, recognize a gormless tourist and say hello in English.

Advertisement