Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,436 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ . Craic is one of them but they spell it crack. Its pretty much just all slang words.

Its mostly just English words if they were spelt phonetically in an Ulster accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Firstly I am not a Unionist just a person with my own mind who has an opinion on what I see happening.

Irish is relevant I will explain why in simple terms -

1) The whole issue was caused because of the ILA - which is been used disingenuously by both far sides of the argument in my view

2) The ILA is claimed to be necessary by some why? Because it is a form of compromise or agreement - but in reality merely symbolism

3) The ILA is claimed by some to a be form of preservation of the Irish language - the reality is it does no such thing

4) If people claim the thread is only about the DUP solely - I would question their level of commitment to the Irish language in the first place - because the ILA is shown up for what it is as a 'side issue' - or as another poster has put it a 'red herring'.

5) In my view the ILA has become another tool for argument for obvious levels of disingenuousness on both sides of the NI divide.
    Some Republicans pretend that the ILA is crucial and some Unionists let on they are going to have palpitations.

6) Why did Poots have to resign as leader of his party? He was going to implement the ILA and his own party went against him.
    As they have correctly claimed the party never actually agreed to it

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-irish-language-act-3209218-Jan2017/

7) I suspect it will result in a GE in NI over the issue and the DUP will use this an an electoral platform - if the DUP's mandate increases as a result or even remains as the largest Unionist Party the electorate will have spoken. It will be their mandate

8) Donaldson as new leader and defined mandate will then no doubt go into negotiations on behalf of his party and his electorate - there no doubt will be a lot of playing with words (from both sides) and eventually the British or Irish government will step in/comment/suggest/cajole.

Either to negotiate between the vested interests. Or else the British government could implement the ILA on their own as a last resort. Which would be ironic on many levels.

Post after post after post about the motivations underpinning the ILA ... from someone who has already told us they do not know any Irish speakers or learners in the North.

Your posts on this topic have been a long-winded carousel of ill-informed buzz statements which simply rotate to the next buzz statement when any of them are challenged with, well, basic rationale. You skirt the sides of these topics and flounder when anyone tries to pull you into the nitty gritty. You’ve been harping on about what Irish or Irishness means to people — despite having seemingly appointed yourself as the arbiter, spokesperson and mind-reader of the Irish-speaking and Irish-learning community in the North. You literally, demonstrably and above all self-admittedly do not have any idea what you are talking about.

You, Sinn Fein, the DUP, Jim Allister or those creepy Morbeg yokes can have whatever subjective motivations you want as regards the ILA. The simple fact is that for normal Irish-speaking/learning people in the North (of which I am one and who, unlike you, knows and grew up with many others), the ILA is simply a piece of legislation which will hopefully help to give some element of stronger spine — through statutory law — to the ongoing and multifaceted attempt to promote at the very least the visibility of what is a threatened language. Nobody is saying that it won’t be imperfect, nobody is saying that the Pentecostal flame shall leap forth from the statute book, touch the heads of every Irish man and woman, and bestow upon them the fluency of the Gaelic tongue. It’s a piece of legislation with an overall benign intention that is only opposed vociferously by people who deep-down would rather burn books in Irish than ever suffer the unbelievable ignominy of having to ignore it on some document.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Post after post after post about the motivations underpinning the ILA ... from someone who has already told us they do not know any Irish speakers or learners in the North.

Your posts on this topic have been a long-winded carousel of ill-informed buzz statements which simply rotate to the next buzz statement when any of them are challenged with, well, basic rationale. You skirt the sides of these topics and flounder when anyone tries to pull you into the nitty gritty. You’ve been harping on about what Irish or Irishness means to people — despite having seemingly appointed yourself as the arbiter, spokesperson and mind-reader of the Irish-speaking and Irish-learning community in the North. You literally, demonstrably and above all self-admittedly do not have any idea what you are talking about.

You, Sinn Fein, the DUP, Jim Allister or those creepy Morbeg yokes can have whatever subjective motivations you want as regards the ILA. The simple fact is that for normal Irish-speaking/learning people in the North (of which I am one and who, unlike you, knows and grew up with many others), the ILA is simply a piece of legislation which will hopefully help to give some element of stronger spine — through statutory law — to the ongoing and multifaceted attempt to promote at the very least the visibility of what is a threatened language. Nobody is saying that it won’t be imperfect, nobody is saying that the Pentecostal flame shall leap forth from the statute book, touch the heads of every Irish man and woman, and bestow upon them the fluency of the Gaelic tongue. It’s a piece of legislation with an overall benign intention that is only opposed vociferously by people who deep-down would rather burn books in Irish than ever suffer the unbelievable ignominy of having to ignore it on some document.

Well said.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Donaldson has been appointed leader of the DUP and in his subsequent speech it doesn't take him long to introduce the rhetoric about the NIP.
    Apparently he warns that the Irish government supporting the protocol is unacceptable and that the Irish government must listen to unionist concerns - it is not acceptable for the Irish government to represent one side of the argument. I believe that he had no similar criticism of the government that he sits in supporting and ratifying it strangely.

Any solution must respect the UK single market as well as the EU single market.

So it looks like Jeffrey is continuing the anti-protocol nonsense started by his predecessors which is based on nothing more than delusion.

Donaldson has been appointed leader of the DUP and in his subsequent speech it doesn't take him long to introduce the rhetoric about the NIP.
    Apparently he warns that the Irish government supporting the protocol is unacceptable and that the Irish government must listen to unionist concerns - it is not acceptable for the Irish government to represent one side of the argument. I believe that he had no similar criticism of the government that he sits in supporting and ratifying it strangely.

So it looks like Jeffrey is continuing the anti-protocol nonsense started by his predecessors which is based on nothing more than delusion.

Ramping it up for the 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Donaldson may be less extreme than Poots and the rest of the religious fringe but I would regard him as utterly untrustworthy, in fact almost to the point of being dangerous because of that.

Who would be your preferred pick for DUP leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Choochtown wrote: »
    Did ye hav a wee futter at yon test yersel?

Wat dod ye score?

I didney finpish it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Didn't the UVF and UDA warn Jeffrey to leave when he was canvassing against Poots. He's trying to win the base back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I got 26/30 but probably have the advantage of 20 years in Donegal and being married to an Ulster Scots woman!

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Didn't the UVF and UDA warn Jeffrey to leave when he was canvassing against Poots. He's trying to win the base back.
    Allegedly the loyalist terrorists and criminals union interviewed Jeffrey a few days ago to ensure his suitability for the role of DUP leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He wouldn't be suggesting that the "foreign" Southern government get involved in Northern affairs now would he?

God, Unionism is an absolute sham of a yoke.

Ardillaun wrote: »

Senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

24/30 in the can you speak nordie test. Sure its only a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

The ILA would already be on statute if the Sinn Fein didn't abstain from representing their constituents in Westminster. The fact the Northern Ireland Executive cant even agree on something as simple as recognising a language, spoken by a minority in their province, comes down to pure Unionist intolerance of anything that appears to threaten their union with Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

blanch152 wrote: »
    More importantly for the parents, the kids at gaeilscoileanna rarely have to mix with those Polish and Nigerian kids.

Pathetic and disgusting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Well, this is remarkable; the govt only supported the NIP as the “least worst” option, was clearly in favour of a “soft” Brexit, an EFTA Brexit, a SM/CU Brexit, any form of Brexit that avoided the need for a land border. The DUP should have split from the UDA/UVF and supported them.
    NI did not vote for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Jayus 20/30 - Not sure if I should be happy or annoyed about that.

It was gas.

21/30 for meself

24/30 and 2 more I should have got from my time there. It's that much of a joke language I was expecting Jeremy Beadle to jump out halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Penfailed

27/30

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The unionists got 6/32

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

19/30 - Plantation incomplete :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

18/30 here, just 2 short of getting a free badge from the Ulster Scots Agenc, Im devastated :(

Ardillaun wrote: »

Sammy cause he will stand up to the English coming over to Ireland trying to tell the Irish what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

25/30 and a poke is a basket not a cone,

A poke is neither where I come from

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A 'poke' is to do with the cone shape. You could have a poke of chips.

31V1XJyWceL.jpg

A 'poke' is to do with the cone shape. You could have a poke of chips.

31V1XJyWceL.jpg

A poke can still get you sacked in the Tories, unless you are the boss. :)

Interesting take on the new leaders stance...

https://twitter.com/AndrewSB49/status/1408882329280561162?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Interesting take on the new leaders stance...

https://twitter.com/AndrewSB49/status/1408882329280561162?s=19

This is an utterly bizarre take

• Advertisement

larva wrote: »
    The ILA would already be on statute if the Sinn Fein didn't abstain from representing their constituents in Westminster. The fact the Northern Ireland Executive cant even agree on something as simple as recognising a language, spoken by a minority in their province, comes down to pure Unionist intolerance of anything that appears to threaten their union with Britain.

Back to blaming SF for something the DUP are doing are we?

Need it be said again, but I guess it does, Sinn Féin represent their constituents by NOT taking their seats at Westminster.

They campaign on that fact. The people of those constituencies have a choice and they choose SF to represent them in that fashion.

That being said, them taking their seats would have no bearing on the ILA being adopted at all. No idea where you got that from.

Advertisement