Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PCeeeee wrote: »
    This is an utterly bizarre take
    But when you thinking it, the unionists were happy that Brexit was done with a deal struck - the TCA.
    The Irish government & EU were happy that Brexit was done with the TCA (including the NIP).
    The unionists are unhappy that the Irish support what the British have signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,437 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A 'poke' is to do with the cone shape. You could have a poke of chips.

31V1XJyWceL.jpg

Are cones called pokes in some places ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Are cones called pokes in some places ?

Parts of Scotland and the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A 'poke' is to do with the cone shape. You could have a poke of chips.

31V1XJyWceL.jpg

A poke is something to put stuff in, a bag, sack ,pig in a poke,
    I'm from outside Letterkenny, we would have used most of the words in the quiz, never heard skelf though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Strazdas wrote: »
    The problem is the Irish State in the 20th century thought it could revive the Irish language by simply ramming it down people's throats, make it compulsory everywhere and almost bully people into learning it (De Valera for example had some very eccentric opinions on what Ireland should look like).

There was no attempt to engender love for the language or make it seem accessible - instead many people began to associate it with Irish authoritarianism and backwardness, particularly in urban areas....the language often thought of as being pushed by deeply conservative fanatics from rural areas.

But having said all that, there is hope the language won't die out. We've already seen a strong revival of Irish dancing and Irish traditional music in the last 30 years or so and there might come a point when the language is seen as 'cool' to learn.

Hmmm...wonder how we became so good at the English language. Irish people must have just loved it so much that they tried really hard to replace their own language with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hmmm...wonder how we became so good at the English language. Irish people must have just loved it so much that they tried really hard to replace their own language with it.

I think a lot of the famous writers were from Dublin, where English had been spoken for centuries : Wilde, Swift, Joyce, Beckett, Shaw, Stoker etc. Dublin was easily the most anglicised part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Back to blaming SF for something the DUP are doing are we?

Need it be said again, but I guess it does, Sinn Féin represent their constituents by NOT taking their seats at Westminster.

They campaign on that fact. The people of those constituents have a choice and they choose SF to represent them in that fashion.

That being said, them taking their seats would have no bearing on the ILA being adopted at all. No idea where you got that from.

How exactly does a party represent their constituents by abstaining from representing them in the parliament that effectively rules over their country? If Sinn Féin actually voiced their opinions as politicians in Westminister, like one does in the Daíl, then perhaps they might gets some legislation passed through.

And yet they collect their expenses for abstaining (doing nothing).

larva wrote: »
    How exactly does a party represent their constituents by abstaining from representing them in the parliament that effectively rules over their country? If Sinn Féin actually voiced their opinions as politicians in Westminister, like one does in the Daíl, then perhaps they might gets some legislation passed through.

And the most naive on British parliamentary politics award goes to...

And the most naive on British parliamentary politics award goes to...

Sinn Fein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Abstentionism is not based on some mega long running huff. It is based on the principle that they will not interfere in the running of other countries, which they would have to do if they took their seats. They do all the parliamentary work on behalf of their constituents and hence taking the expenses and pay for that.
    They aren't sitting in nice heated offices quaffing hob nobs and canoodling with the aides. (not that we know about anyway :))
    Because they do that work, they get re-elected again and again. But they don't interfere in the running of Scotland Wales or England. Their voters agree with this stance and principle.

^^^

Point of order... one simply does not quaff hob nobs. Now, carry on...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sinn Fein

I'd say the most naive with regard to British Parliamentary politics, even just politics would be Labour.

How can a party exist and be so rubbish at the basics.

Abstentionism is not based on some mega long running huff. It is based on the principle that they will not interfere in the running of other countries, which they would have to do if they took their seats. They do all the parliamentary work on behalf of their constituents and hence taking the expenses and pay for that.
    They aren't sitting in nice heated offices quaffing hob nobs and canoodling with the aides. (not that we know about anyway :))
    Because they do that work, they get re-elected again and again. But they don't interfere in the running of Scotland Wales or England. Their voters agree with this stance and principle.

Abstentionism is a long running huff, as you put it. Its done purely because Sinn Fein want to show that they dont recognise British rule in NI. Its not a particular effective way to influence the body politic of the country/union that rules you.

Do you think a party would be allowed to operate in this regard and get paid allowances by not attending the Daíl?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Do you think a party would be allowed to operate in this regard and get paid allowances by not attending the Daíl?

We'll find out soon enough what the DUP and the Loyalist parties do.

Abstentionism is a long running huff, as you put it. Its done purely because Sinn Fein want to show that they dont recognise British rule in NI. Its not a particular effective way to influence the body politic of the country/union that rules you.

If they are doing the parliamentary work that every TD does, yes, absolutely they should be paid in WM or in the Dáil.

And as 'effectiveness' goes, it seems to be effective for SF and their voters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is there a government on this planet that wouldn't be happy having a minority opposition group that will never vote against them ?

Abstention is informed by historical political perspective but it also a thing of practical reality.

SDLP MPs were viewed as little more than crap on a shoe by staff and other MPs and it wasn't just because they never did much, they were just seen as an irrelevant Irish annoyance.

It wasn't anti Irish sentiment but the view that they had no purpose or use there.

Is there a government on this planet that wouldn't be happy having a minority opposition group that will never vote against them ?

Are you answering your own question there?

Are you answering your own question there?

It's a rhetorical question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reading this and subsequent posts from you, it's quite clear you're not au fait with how the legislative process works.

That's all in isolation to the fact you have some notion that 7 Sinn Féin MPs will turn up to Westminster in a vacuum as well.

Many, in the Irish media and a load on here, continued to blame SF for not turning up to vote for May's deal back in the heady days of 2017.

There's an infinite amount of ways SF can be blamed for political problems of others it seems.

If the people of Belfast North, Belfast West, West Tyrone etc want to have an MP represent them in Westminster and take part in "legislating" from there, they have plenty of non-SF options available and they should knock themselves out and vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Of course you do. Anything that doesn't suit you find " a wee bit hard to follow " How about following this_ the sectarian and bigoted state that was created and maintained to appease unionists is crumbling month on month.. ironically that crumbling has been accelerated by the behaviour and arrogance and meanness of unionist politicians. It's Time to get used to the fact that you are not wanted by England and start preparing for being tolerated in a United Ireland.

I would be more useful if you answered my question

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

downcow wrote: »
    I would be more useful if you answered my question

Why don’t you answer mine from a few days ago?

Given your politicians agreed to the implementation of an ILA on multiple occasions, does the present situation indicate your community and your politicians are untrustworthy? Does Unionism honour its agreements? Thanks.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    We’re definitely in a much better position to save our language than many indigenous groups are who have little or no say in how their countries are run, and there’s far less excuse for us if we fail. I’m just sceptical we’re going to change our ways and get serious about it.

This is a serious question as I just don’t understand. Tell me why it is important to you to save your indigenous language

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

This is a serious question as I just don’t understand. Tell me why it is important to you to save your indigenous language

You'd think for all the shouting Unionism does about it's culture, you'd understand the wish for others to preserve theirs?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why don’t you answer mine from a few days ago?

Given your politicians agreed to the implementation of an ILA on multiple occasions, does the present situation indicate your community and your politicians are untrustworthy? Does Unionism honour its agreements? Thanks.

The dup agreed (in my view wrongly and without the support of their community) the NDNA which included Irish language and Ulster-british culture. There were lots of other things in the NDNA and it is my understanding DUP we’re saying they would implement them all and refused to prioritise one aspect as sf requested.

So don’t really understand your question. Be more specific for me

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    You'd think for all the shouting Unionism does about it's culture, you'd understand the wish for others to preserve theirs?

That’s not an answer.
    And I have never said tax payers money should be used to preserve my culture. That is the responsibility of my community. If we value it enough then we will preserve it.
    You simply devalue your Irish culture by continually crying for government support

The dup agreed (in my view wrongly and without the support of their community) the NDNA which included Irish language and Ulster-british culture. There were lots of other things in the NDNA and it is my understanding DUP we’re saying they would implement them all and refused to prioritise one aspect as sf requested.

So don’t really understand your question. Be more specific for me

The DUP said when asked, that they would not implement it in this session of the Executive.

That's when their history and behaviour came back to bite them and caused their embarassing implosion.
    The facts are nobody believes a word they say.

That’s not an answer.
    And I have never said tax payers money should be used to preserve my culture. That is the responsibility of my community. If we value it enough then we will preserve it.
    You simply devalue your Irish culture by continually crying for government support

Unionists problem is that they now have no more friends to fall out with.

The Tories are going to tell them what is happening and that's that from here on in

It's self inflicted.

The reaction will be to turn inwards and start falling out with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,437 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That’s not an answer.

That's so easy to say when your culture has gerrymandered itself into power for 100 years

Advertisement