Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    That’s not an answer.
    And I have never said tax payers money should be used to preserve my culture. That is the responsibility of my community. If we value it enough then we will preserve it.
    You simply devalue your Irish culture by continually crying for government support

My post said nothing about tax payers money. You asked why people would seek to preserve the indigenous language; I suggested that it was for the same reason you wished to preserve your own culture.

I suppose you'll be calling for the marching bands to return the money they got from arts grants though? Wouldn't want to appear hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    My post said nothing about tax payers money. You asked why people would seek to preserve the indigenous language; I suggested that it was for the same reason you wished to preserve your own culture.

I suppose you'll be calling for the marching bands to return the money they got from arts grants though? Wouldn't want to appear hypocritical.

They only got some crumbs from the table that is a feast for Irish language.
    They don’t need the pittance they got. Our culture continues to flourish with next to zero funding.
    I think that Irish traditional music and dance and Gaelic games are also doing well because large numbers also enjoy them. I think with no finding they would continue to flourish.

As someone who hated languages at school, I can’t get the attraction to learn an historic language like Irish or Latin I am not knocking those that do but I wish my taxes weren’t used to falsely engender interest. I also would not agree with subsidising trainspotting or birdwatching

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They don’t need the pittance they got. Our culture continues to flourish with next to zero funding.
    I think that Irish traditional music and dance and Gaelic games are also doing well because large numbers also enjoy them. I think with no finding they would continue to flourish.

As someone who hated languages at school, I can’t get the attraction to learn an historic language like Irish or Latin I am not knocking those that do but I wish my taxes weren’t used to falsely engender interest. I also would not agree with subsidising trainspotting or birdwatching

Isn't that a handy point of view? :)

Like the DUP pretending they would implement in the future, you suddenly pretending to be a bewildered moderate when it suits...fools no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Isn't that a handy point of view? :)

Like the DUP pretending they would implement in the future, you suddenly pretending to be a bewildered moderate when it suits...fools no-one.

Imagine lacking in so much curiosity of the indigenous language of the place you live in; especially seeing as your own blinking username owes itself to the language you denigrate and claim as "historic" and comparable to Latin.

Then again, with the county of his father battering his own today, perhaps he's feeling sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not historic....in many parts of the Gaeltacht, it is spoken as the first and main language in everyday use.

TV presenter Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh for example says she grew up speaking Irish as her first language (well known young singer Sibéal Ní Chasaide grew up in the same area).

• Advertisement

Imagine lacking in so much curiosity of the indigenous language of the place you live in; especially seeing as your own blinking username owes itself to the language you denigrate and claim as "historic" and comparable to Latin.

Then again, with the county of his father battering his own today, perhaps he's feeling sore.

Imagine comparing a crowd of young ones learning music by rote to the depth and breath of the culture that goes along with the Irish language.
    A bit like comparing Morris dancing to canon of culture and heritage around the English or Welsh language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The dup agreed (in my view wrongly and without the support of their community) the NDNA which included Irish language and Ulster-british culture. There were lots of other things in the NDNA and it is my understanding DUP we’re saying they would implement them all and refused to prioritise one aspect as sf requested.

So don’t really understand your question. Be more specific for me

What exactly is the DUP's community? and how on earth do you know that the agreement was without their support?

A very weird term to use about a political party.

I've never heard anyone refer to "Fianna Gael's community" or "The Conservative Party's community"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Choochtown wrote: »
    What exactly is the DUP's community? and how on earth do you know that the agreement was without their support?

A very weird term to use about a political party.

I've never heard anyone refer to "Fianna Gael's community" or "The Conservative Party's community"

A person who doesn't want a taig about the place. Hateful group

votecounts wrote: »

Can you imagine the whiplash some of these lads must have got having to take Jeffery's picture down off the bonfires and put it up on their living room walls alongside King Billy's portrait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Our culture continues to flourish with next to zero funding.

This your culture?

https://twitter.com/TheSundayLife/status/1409077643060912128

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The dup agreed (in my view wrongly and without the support of their community) the NDNA which included Irish language and Ulster-british culture. There were lots of other things in the NDNA and it is my understanding DUP we’re saying they would implement them all and refused to prioritise one aspect as sf requested.

So don’t really understand your question. Be more specific for me

i'll be very specific: all this deflection and side chat about the merits and prevalence of the Irish language is utterly irrelevant. The DUP agreed to the implementation of an ILA (a reaffirming of numerous previous agreements) and were once again dishonouring their word in that regard.

Native language acts exist in all other regions of the United Kingdom. Therefore it is appropriate that it exists in Northern Ireland, the end.

What with their views on minority languages, personal liberties and a disproportionate membership with less than scientific basis for beliefs... are the DUP and their mebership the least British of all modern* political parties?

* the brown shirts are possibly even less British, but they were short lived and decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder long term should a resettlement program be set up for unionists to move to Britain. It could be an option after a unity referendum that in my view should be considered as part of the deal.

I listened to jeffrey Yesterday castigating the Irish Govt for only representing 1 half of Northern Ireland, The Irony of him being in the Orange Order that forbids catholics is lost on him.
    He talked also about about both communities and it got me thinking what has the Unionist parties ever done to include the Nationalist Community. Absolutely nothing
    Against the ILA
    Against the Irish protocol, only ever hear a certain community complaining about it.
    Never condemn the bonfires that burn the Irish Flags, placards of Nationalist Politicians, etc
    Never condemn putting Union Jacks, UDA/UVF posters in areas where they are not wanted, if they had a proper unionist leader they'd call out these parades for what they are and stop them
    Against funding a University because it is in a nationalist area
    Finally, never condemn the LCC who represent drug dealing scum and should not be given air time or negotiated with

I wonder long term should a resettlement program be set up for unionists to move to Britain. It could be an option after a unity referendum that in my view should be considered as part of the deal.

Eh? Are you expecting a pogrom?

Why would there be a relocation plan? If they want to move they can sell their house and buy one where ever they want/can afford. Same as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

votecounts wrote: »

Fiercely intellectual stuff there. Where on Earth do they get these ideas about being 'racially superior' about? It certainly doesn't show up in their general mien.

Wasn't everyone Catholic before Calvin, Luther and Knox came about anyway?, so it doesn't hold water there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What with their views on minority languages, personal liberties and a disproportionate membership with less than scientific basis for beliefs... are the DUP and their mebership the least British of all modern* political parties?

* the brown shirts are possibly even less British, but they were short lived and decades ago.

I've seen quite a few English people pick up on this. The DUP claim to cherish "British values" and yet their entire culture and political outlook would be completely alien to people in mainland GB. Draping yourself in a union jack and singing God Save The Queen does not make you 'British', not if the rest of your beliefs and customs are completely off the wall.

That horse seems to have finally bolted too. Even readers of the right wing press in England think the DUP are barking mad and want nothing to do with them.

dd973 wrote: »
    Fiercely intellectual stuff there. Where on Earth do they get these ideas about being 'racially superior' about? It certainly doesn't show up in their general mien.

Wasn't everyone Catholic before Calvin, Luther and Knox came about anyway?, so it doesn't hold water there either.

Your argument stems from genetics, a cousin of evolution... you see where you've gone wrong, right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few English people pick up on this. The DUP claim to cherish "British values" and yet their entire culture and political outlook would be completely alien to people in mainland GB. Draping yourself in a union jack and singing God Save The Queen does not make you 'British', not if the rest of your beliefs and customs are completely off the wall.

That horse seems to have finally bolted too. Even readers of the right wing press in England think the DUP are barking mad and want nothing to do with them.

Well the DUP have also been a huge factor in why Brexit was delayed multiple times, upsetting the Brexiteers in the UK's Conservative Party. The ascendent nationalist wing in the Conservatives also has a few fair bit of Little England types whose nationalism is more English than British and who would rather jettison Northern Ireland and Scotland if it means cutting off England completely from the EU and having complete soverignity over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They have British passports. Even with Irish passports they'd have the right to live, work and vote (but not for head of state) in the UK and Ireland and be entitled to the same benefits as the locals.

Do they still have streets in Liverpool where you can buy houses for a fiver ?

That is as long as the UK respect overseas passports...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Who would be your preferred pick for DUP leader?

Well I would go for Carla Lockhart MP. She's young and at least she's not a member of the Orange order and unlike her fellow DUP MP Jim Shannon she hasn't been voted "least sexy MP in Westminster"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Haven't the Israelis tried that already, resettling Palestinians they don't agree with?

This has been suggested on boards before, and it is an incredibly crude proposal, asking people to leave their homes and communities behind and move somewhere else. A final solution by another name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is not a final solution. Not a good solution either. People have grown up there. To begin with in this day and age people are free to move to the rest of the UK without anyone doing anything for them. I suspect if a united Ireland happens many will move of their own volition. Many may also move around the country for work etc. (especially with the economy in the north at the moment) which would hugely help with allowing more mixing of the two sides.

However we do live in a world with not everyone getting their way and the North that is especially true. If a border poll passes unionists will have to live with it or mount a campaign to have it changed. The most important thing would be to ensure that discrimination going either direction never happens again. That will be the only way to create long term peace.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Haven't the Israelis tried that already, resettling Palestinians they don't agree with?

This has been suggested on boards before, and it is an incredibly crude proposal, asking people to leave their homes and communities behind and move somewhere else. A final solution by another name.

18% of Unionists say they 'can not live in a UI' led by the former leader of the DUP who has said the same thing.

Have you any proposals for them if they 'wish' to leave?

Nobody is talking about 'forced resettlement' here, they are talking about helping people. If you insist once again in portraying this as 'forced resettlement' or a 'final solution' I will have no option but to use the report function.

It is beyond disgusting that you barge into any discussion of this with lies and mis-representation.

The Good Friday agreement and subsequent agreements have actually been designed to push the ideals and indeed encourage the cementing of "2 sides" and "2 cultures". In reality there is a growing number of people who don't consider themselves to be on any "side" or to use the common vocabulary "community".

To these people there won't be much difference between voting politicians into a London parliament or an All Ireland one (which could actually be situated in Belfast)

Their concerns are education, health, business etc. Yes! The weirdos up North are just like normal people!!

Unfortunately most of the gob****es that achieve an audience in public news media and social media do so by discussing everything through the medium of identity politics.

18% of Unionists say they 'can not live in a UI' led by the former leader of the DUP who has said the same thing.

Nobody is talking about 'forced resettlement' here, they are talking about helping people. If you insist once again in portraying this as 'forced resettlement' or a 'final solution' I will have no option but to use the report function.

It is beyond disgusting that you barge into any discussion of this with lies and mis-representation.

I would imagine the number of Unionists in 1980 or even 1990 who would say that they "can not live within a devolved government that includes Sinn Fein" would be much much more than 18%.
    I would imagine not too many left the country in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This has already been tried in Fermanagh with polite knocks on the door requesting people to relocate "voluntarily".

There is no doubt that if there was such a scheme in place, there would also be knocks on the door with strong advice given to people to take up the voluntary option. That is the reality of the type of criminal behaviour in certain communities in Northern Ireland, which has been fostered by the two sectarian parties.

Choochtown wrote: »
    I would imagine the number of Unionists in 1980 or even 1990 who would say that they "can not live within a devolved government that includes Sinn Fein" would be much much more than 18%.
    I would imagine not too many left the country in 1998.

Ok, so your solution is to call their bluff and just ignore those who cannot live in a UI?

That's fine. I think that is wrong in a decent society.

• Advertisement

Ok, so your solution is to call their bluff and just ignore those who cannot live in a UI?

That's fine. I think that is wrong in a decent society.

49% of Brits don't want to live in a country outside the European Union.

Is Brexit wrong in a "decent society"?

Advertisement