Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop turns on but as soon as fan hits switches off

Options
  • 27-04-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I've had this issue since this evening. I turned my computer off in sleep mode, came back to the computer to turn back on and when I did I noticed that the on button was a bit unresponsive. I pressed down hard on the button and it seemed to turn the laptop off fully. When I pressed the power button again it went to power up but it shut off before the Dell logo appears. I have no idea what to do. It was working perfectly 20 minutes previously.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

How old? Which model? Take the cover off and have a look at the exhaust fins and make sure they are not blocked. Overheating is a common enough issue on laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sounds very much like CPU overheating. without proper cooling, those things can hit 80+ degrees in seconds. Most probably the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the CPU or the thermal paste needs to be re-applied after cleaning.

If you don't have the skills, it's a 10 minute job in any repair center.

I see many, many, many people make the mistake of putting their laptop on soft fabrics, maybe your quilt in bed or on the couch. This is the worst thing you can do as not enough cold air is getting into the laptop to cool it down. If you want to use it in bed, put a hard rigid object underneath it, maybe a large book. Constant over heating will knacker your parts out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

RangeR wrote: »
    Constant over heating will knacker your parts out very quickly.

Wise words indeed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

degsie wrote: »
    Wise words indeed :P
    Indeed. Not one word of a lie :)

A few years ago, I had massive overheat issues, actually from my GPU, while gaming. It melted my NIC as the heat exhaust was just beside the NIC port :(. I had to go purchase a USB NIC adapter.

Advertisement