Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank holiday pay for part time worker

Options
  • 27-04-2021 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

Work a 3 day week in well know company. I started in 2018 in a separate area of the company and while there worked Wednesday, Thursday & Friday each week. On a bank holiday I got one fifth of my daily wage. That department closed down and I am now in a new department since last year. I am permanent.

I dont seem to get any allowance for a bank holiday and also have noticed , like next week, I am working bank holiday monday and two other days, while my colleague who works a four day week has gotten the bank holiday off (which is normal for them) and only has to work three days next week, which covers her 4 day week. In other words a bank holiday makes no difference to me.

It is a nice company and while dont want to "rock the boat" I want to make sure I am being treated fairly.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

reeta wrote: »
    In other words a bank holiday makes no difference to me.

You are not entitled to the actual day off, but you are entitled to one of the following.
    • A paid day off on the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Why not send an email to your payroll person and ask them why you do not appear to be getting any public holiday payment?
    If you are working a 3 day week, and the days are random, and you were previously getting a fifth of your weekly Wage, you should still be getting the same now. Are you positive your gross pay for a public holiday week is not higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will email hr directly I just wanted to get some info first as all emails bypass the director. I am not getting a higher wage on the month of a bank holiday.

Also, I get paid for a full day on a bank holiday when I only work a 6 hr. day, maybe that is why I dont get a portion of my daily rate on a bank holiday ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You are not entitled to the actual day off, but you are entitled to one of the following.
    • A paid day off on the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

Note the following applies to part time workers as the OP appears to be:

"If you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and the public holiday falls on a day you normally work you are entitled to a day's pay for the public holiday. If you are required to work that day you are entitled to an additional day's pay.

If you do not normally work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay. Even if you are never rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday."

The op stated they received 1/5 of their daily pay for the bank holiday. This looks like a miscalculation by payroll in that as it should 1/5 of the pay received for working three days. So Op should be entitled to 1/5 weekly pay plus one of the above options.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Thank you all, very informative. Thats why I love boards !:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement