Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Vision Equipment- Infra Red Add On, Scopes, Mounts and Viewers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

tudderone wrote: »

Whats the legal situation with nv on your scope ? Clearance needed from the ptb ?

See here- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117014652&postcount=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Am i right in thinking that nv is only as good as the infrared illuminator that accompanies it? These Pard units have me interested, if they are in anyway useful i might get one.

Depends on what type of NV it is Active or Passive?And what Generation of nV?

Active NV
    Only works well with an IR light source. It was the 1st gen units that were developed by the Germans in late 1944 early 45 for their "Vampir" [Vampire] NV system. the US and UK pretty much copied it and used it in Korea. It was obsolete pretty fast,as it could be spotted by beams of IR light swinging around the place by other NV systems.
    Not used anymore in military tech for obvious reasons,and becoming obsolete even in civvie equipment.

Passive NV
    Collects any ambient light and magnifies it X thousand times to give you a picture on a photocathode tube.
    First used in Vietnam in the starlight scopes. Both 1st gen active and passive scopes are now museum pieces and huge bulky units.
    Picture a 3-foot length of Wavin sewer pipe mounted on your rifle, filled with three kilo of sand.

GEN2 Russian type.
    After the Soviet Union came down and their surplus stuff flooded the Westen markets.A lot of their stuff is still out there and works well, but is a heavy metal encased and rather clumsy or may require weird unobtainable batteries,or in some cases had small radioactive elements in them.
    Russian sniper scopes had a small tritium vial for their night sights.:eek:

Gen 2 Western
    Better light gathering capability stronger IR light sources, tidier and compacter units. At a much higher price, was pretty much obsolete for the Western armies by the end of the Gulf war.

Gen 2 "Glasnost"
    Western and Russian gear is pretty much what we are using today in a more user-friendly Western setup and layout or better manufacturing of Russian technology. most of our NV is made in the former Soviet plants that have been updated and graded to western production standards.

Characterized by a green tinge to everything it is passive NV and is enhanced by using an active IR source, some have small active IR lamps built onto them,so if you are using one in a headmount its handy for checking very dark places up close, but useless for checking a dark hedgerow 100 meters away.
    Freely available and reasonably priced.

GEN3 passive
    The current military issue as seen being used by US troops in Afghanistan and wherever else in head-mounted units combined with rifle-mounted holo sights can be mounted on rifle scopes with the correct adapters. Gives a black and white picture. Expensive, ITAR export requirements.

[Gen 4?] Augmented reality?
    Passive possibly now in color [?] full 180-degree view [has 4t o6 tubes in front of your eyes] may have thermal capabilities as well, but requires no active IR light source.
    Unobtainable not issued yet military-grade hardware

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Check out Facebook- plenty of Night Vision groups there and the Pard is very popular as an add on.
    It was my orginal choice for entry into the NV Shooting World but I got suckered into other things....

You know when you go into Argus for a €15 Toaster and come out with a €75 one instead!!!

The main thing that stopped me getting one was the need for a parallax adjustable scope, as it was intended to be used on two exsisting rifles. Anyhow that plan didn't survive contact and a dedicated scope on QD mounts was the option..... Well plan C became plan B and a new project was born, I digress ..... Based purely on secound hand info I would definitely go with an add on if I had a compatible scope for a duel purpose set up.

I was trying to make the same point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Re the pard 007 do you put it flush with your scope eyepiece when it's fitted or do you keep it back away an inch or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Asus1 wrote: »
    Re the pard 007 do you put it flush with your scope eyepiece when it's fitted or do you keep it back away an inch or so.

Keep it back an inch or so. Mount the bracket loosely, fit the unit into it and slide it backwards and forwards to find the best position for you.
    Remember, the eyepiece is now much further back so there are a few options. Slide the scope as far forward as possible in the rings. Add an extension pad on the end of the stock. Do both !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Sika98k wrote: »
    Keep it back an inch or so. Mount the bracket loosely, fit the unit into it and slide it backwards and forwards to find the best position for you.
    Remember, the eyepiece is now much further back so there are a few options. Slide the scope as far forward as possible in the rings. Add an extension pad on the end of the stock. Do both !

Sounds like they would be good on a scout rifle like the one Mannlicher used to make a few years ago. The scope mounted halfway along the barrel, allows you to use the rifle as intended rather than shooting off sticks.

Sika98k wrote: »

Cheers,kit I bought came with butt extension,just waiting to get the sub to get the go ahead so I can pick up the rifle.

I see the new Pard 007 is available to purchase at £535, quite a difference in price with the older model which basically does the exact same thing.

https://youtu.be/fPZ16fviKLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds like they would be good on a scout rifle like the one Mannlicher used to make a few years ago. The scope mounted halfway along the barrel, allows you to use the rifle as intended rather than shooting off sticks.

The Steyr Scout... The scout mount and concept takes a bit of getting used to,as it is really only a 4X scope and you keep both eyes open and use this set up like a Holosight Some drilling and some Picatinny rail would set it up on any rifle of your choice,but its one you need to practice with.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I see the company rumoured to be started by a Pard ex employee has now done their own version of the Pard 008.

They did a version of the Pard 007 which was about half the price and as it was getting started sales wise Pard dropped the price of their unit by £100 which was supposedly to stop Sytong gaining market share.

Hopefully now their version of the Pard 008 will make Pard drop the price on that as well. Can't beat a bit of competition in the market.

Only 679 euro delivered free to anywhere in Ireland, not too shabby compared to 770 euro for the Pard (also free delivery to anywhere in Ireland.)

I suppose only time will tell.

https://nkq.soundestlink.com/link/609acd36c07c00001970e464/609aac8b2128320013e21670/5e31fbbe1215fa5147657ae2?signature=e9f67936caa0b1567a1d15741bb8968dea431c1a313108e9bbc6783d464e9cbf

• Advertisement

Wulf have now released a competitor to the Pard 007, costs £500, looks very bulky and weights a lot more than the original Pard 007 which is selling now for £330.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynOYQZ6jdnI

Wulf have now released a competitor to the Pard 007, costs £500, looks very bulky and weights a lot more than the original Pard 007 which is selling now for £330.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynOYQZ6jdnI

That's one weird thing,very boxy and split into 2 separate parts it's so ugly that they decided to make a video of it with barely any lighting.The 580m image if really representative of its ability is fairly great though.

That's one weird thing,very boxy and split into 2 separate parts it's so ugly that they decided to make a video of it with barely any lighting.The 580m image if really representative of its ability is fairly great though.

It'd maybe be ideal for someone with Star Wars fantasy's to make their rifle look super dooper but other than that I can't see any practical reason to choose it over the Pard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You didn't be chance to sell or trade that to a now-defunct and short-lived in business gun dealer in Galway? As I acquired a BW Fero off him years ago and still have it.Still a damn good bit albeit heavy of kit and becoming a collector's piece.:)

No, somebody pinched it ! I saw it turn up on Donedeal but the seller was evasive and never showed.

Well using the pard 007 on the cz 17hmr the last few nights and must say it's a great yoke.On the rifle with the scope I'd say you could easily shoot with confidence out to 200y,with it in your hand you can spot eye's probably to 400 although the image is a bit grainy if you use too much zoom and magnification together.
    I found the sweet spot around 4-5 magnification and around 2 zoom.The battery notification goes from full to red in about 2 hours if using it on all the time but it seems to go for a long time on red as I've used it for over 3 hours and it still didn't die.
    Buttpad extension is a must I think as otherwise your cramped up on it and it is not comfortable.Havent used the record or WiFi functions as there not something I'm bothered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Well using the pard 007 on the cz 17hmr the last few nights and must say it's a great yoke.On the rifle with the scope I'd say you could easily shoot with confidence out to 200y,with it in your hand you can spot eye's probably to 400 although the image is a bit grainy if you use too much zoom and magnification together.
    I found the sweet spot around 4-5 magnification and around 2 zoom.The battery notification goes from full to red in about 2 hours if using it on all the time but it seems to go for a long time on red as I've used it for over 3 hours and it still didn't die.
    Buttpad extension is a must I think as otherwise your cramped up on it and it is not comfortable.Havent used the record or WiFi functions as there not something I'm bothered with.

If you could dedicate the PARD to your rifle then IMO move the scope forward as far as you can. Even get an extended rail on the rifle.
    I started off with an 'Add on unit' with a screen on top of the scope and camera behind the scope.

FB_IMG_1621931922058.jpg

clivej wrote: »
    If you could dedicated the PARD to your rifle then IMO move the scope forward as far as you can. Even get an extended rail on the rifle.
    I started off with an 'Add on unit' with a screen on top of the scope and camera behind the scope.

FB_IMG_1621931922058.jpg

Any recommendations on extended dovetail rail as that's what my rings are, thanks.
    Also people saying the 17 hmr round is not suitable for foxing are selling it short.I took a fox last night with a chest shot at just over 110paces and it never moved an inch,in saying that I knew fox was under 130y as I could count the fence posts and each are 5yds apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had a Britannia picatanny rail, but I wasn't impressed with the fit of it and due to its design it was very fiddly to fit level.
    https://www.mmsporting.co.uk/shop/rifle-scopes-mounts/picatinny-rails/cz-britannia-rails/

I then purchased a rail from DIP, USA. It was far superior in fit and finish, no issues with it being level with the receiver. Cheaper including shipping then the UK option
    527 Extended 1 Piece 16mm to Picatinny Mount
    https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585

I had the DIP rail fitted on my Brno .22 Mod 2 and now on my CZ527 and it allows for a more versatile fitting of scopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Any recommendations on extended dovetail rail as that's what my rings are, thanks.
    Also people saying the 17 hmr round is not suitable for foxing are selling it short.I took a fox last night with a chest shot at just over 110paces and it never moved an inch,in saying that I knew fox was under 130y as I could count the fence posts and each are 5yds apart.

DipInk rails but cheaper P&P to Ireland.
    I fitted these to my CZ 452, 453, 455, and 527 (223)

https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/category-s/189.htm

Well this is fox at around 150yd.The image is perfectly clear through scope not so clear as still photo.Lucky for him I shot low after he came into around 100yd as I was preoccupied with the millions of midge's.Getting on grand with it.If someone is on the fence about buying one just go get it, they're amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

Hi All
    Is there any one that has experience on having the Helion xq38f and then upgraded to the Helion 2
    What's the differences and was it worthwhile upgrading
    Thanks
    PV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Question for any of the lads with a Pard007.

I find the built in ir illuminator is decent but somewhat pushed to see clearly at distance.

I see in the thread above some lads have added on an external ir illuminator/laser. What would be the best one to add on now? I have picatinny rails on the stock to clip on to, so looking for a suggestion of a good ir add on and ring for same.

Advertisement