Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I find Limerick's best onion rings?

• 27-04-2021 10:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I love a good chipper onion ring. Light, crispy, bitta salt and vinegar, not too greasy but definitly been deepfried.

BUT there are terrible onion rings out there, stodgy batter, multiple rings in a single ring, tough layers of onion, made of pure disappointment.
    • Tony's in Raheen does a great onion ring, it needs to be collected, the light batter doesn't do well waiting on delivery.
    • Lui's in Raheen embodies the terrible onion ring, multiple onion layers and the batter isn't as light as it used to be.
    • Honourable menion to Kirin Court, while not a chipper, they make a great onion ring.

So tell me folks, where can I get a great onion ring?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Tree wrote: »
    I love a good chipper onion ring. Light, crispy, bitta salt and vinegar, not too greasy but definitly been deepfried.

BUT there are terrible onion rings out there, stodgy batter, multiple rings in a single ring, tough layers of onion, made of pure disappointment.
    • Tony's in Raheen does a great onion ring, it needs to be collected, the light batter doesn't do well waiting on delivery.
    • Lui's in Raheen embodies the terrible onion ring, multiple onion layers and the batter isn't as light as it used to be.
    • Honourable menion to Kirin Court, while not a chipper, they make a great onion ring.

So tell me folks, where can I get a great onion ring?

F**k off you animal! Breaded Onion rings are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Shake Dog for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Once upon a time, Cafe Lazio in the Milkmarket was the business for these, before they closed.

The next best place was Apache Pizza in Henry St, who continued to make Lobster Pot onion rings for a long time after Apache arrived. It’s been a long long time since I was there so I doubt that’s still the case.

Apologies for being no help whatsoever!

I'm not an onion ring connoiseur, but I like Enzo's onion rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Fuscos in Garryowen do excellent ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭djdunny

I got some decent enough onion rings in Apache on the Ennis road (they used to be Rios)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

adaminho wrote: »
    F**k off you animal! Breaded Onion rings are the best!

Jays, you are just so wrong, and willing to state it openly on the internet! We'll have to introduce you to properly battered onion rings.

Cheers for the recommendations folks, if i I get a time machine, I'll visit the spot that are closed! Nothing is too little effort for a good onion ring! Keep the recommendations flowing, I think this consititutes essential travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Luca's in Grove Island is also worth a shout. 3 for €1.50.

Also need to be eaten right away and do not travel well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So, I tried Luca's, they suffer from the two rings in an onion ring flaw (the batter was great though, probably good on things that aren't onions).

We tried a wildcard - Super bites in Dooradoyle. The onion rings were superb, the rest was... mixed, but definitely getting their onion rings again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are you familiar with the beer battered onion rings that pop up in LIDL every now and then? They're probably not going to beat a Chinese or a chipper but they are shockingly good for something from the freezer, big following over in the Airfryer thread:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-food/beer-battered-onion-rings/p8912

• Advertisement

I will have to seek them out. I love onion rings. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Thargor wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the beer battered onion rings that pop up in LIDL every now and then? They're probably not going to beat a Chinese or a chipper but they are shockingly good for something from the freezer, big following over in the Airfryer thread:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-food/beer-battered-onion-rings/p8912
    Tree wrote: »
    I will have to seek them out. I love onion rings. Thanks!

If you're going for frozen ones. Annacotty Farm Shop have Aviko Beer Battered Onion Rings which are really tasty.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement