Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Tips from the Bishops for Teenagers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Overheal wrote: »
    Neither. Republican Jesus.

551680.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

biko wrote: »
    The easiest way is to force schools that receive government funding become areligious - not even teach about religion at all.

Unlike many atheists who simply want religious indoctrination entirely removed from schools I would say I would be happy enough with having a situation where their ethos based curriculum be extra curricular to an ENTIRELY secular National Curriculum. Rather than remove it entirely.

I would have no issue with them then using the facilities financed by themselves or the state to then perpetuate their own particular hobbies AFTER and OUTSIDE the national curriculum. And if some kids leave the school and go home after the National Curriculum at 3pm say.... while some others stay in the school to attend the extra curricular subjects related to the school ethos.... then what harm?

In fact my feeling/suspicion would be that this would be BETTER for the church given the state of affairs today. In my experience, limited as it may be but certainly wider than average, the attempts to teach Catholicism have entirely failed on our population.

Almost no one I ever talk to on the subject seems to have the faintest notion of what the actual dogmas and tenets of the catholic faith even are. And when I was performing science experiments on Catholics Crackers and talking to catholics about it, they were mostly divided into three main very different opinions on what the Eucharist even is/means.

It seems to me that if you want someone to learn anything about Catholicism, the last thing you want to do is send them to any Catholic School of today. I think a more extra curricular approach would allow them to do it better. Which as an "atheist" (I never call myself one, but others do) would seem to be against my agenda.... but actually I have found nothing turns a person off their religion quicker than being shown the specifics of what they are meant to be beleiving.
    "People have to go to Catholic schools, there's no other choice!
    They do have a choice
    Oh, yeah, what choice do they have?
    They can choose to not go to Catholic schools"

Are you for real?

Exactly. There is a gulf of difference between choice in theory and choice in practice. And saying things like "Of course you have a choice, you can go form your own school" is a semantic pretence that gulf does not exist. As if anyone has the time, resources or even know how to go about such things. Oh the dripping privilege of someone who CAN add an hour each way commute to their day to enrol the child in the school of their choice when many people A) do not even have that choice or B) do not have the time, money, resources or means to avail of more distant choices where they even exist.

The attitude is one of pure, dripping, privilege acting as if everyone has that same privilege when many people do not.

All the while under a constitution demanding that parents supply a "Minimum standard of education" to their children. So of course they are going to avail of whatever school choice they can. Accusations that its them as "Anti theists supporting the theist status quo" are petty, ridiculous, and agenda driven and blind to the actual realities many families live under.

There is also the ridiculous notion that you can merely "opt out" of religion class which was also mentioned earlier in the thread. As if. The issue there of course, as has been pointed out many times before, is that of the "Integrated Curriculum" that has been cleverly engineered over time. Quite often opting out of religion class is entirely useless, because religious instruction and indoctrination permeates the other subjects on the curriculum too.

Though actually I am intensely uncomfortable with the notion that parents even should be able to "opt out" of classes on behalf of their children if that class goes against their particular conscience. Whatever a parents personal hobby, it should not be justification for impinging on the minimum standard of secular fact based education for a child. Parents should not be seen as owners of their children, but stewards of them.
    If ppl take part in baptisms communions confirmations etc voluntarily I would consider them catholic. Am I mad for saying that ?

Considering how labile the term "catholic" has become I don't think you'd be mad for calling anyone catholic these days if you wanted to. A survey conducted at the Bishops Conference in Ireland found that many "Catholics" do not subscribe to some of the core tenets of the faith. A significant % of the Catholics do not even think there is a god. Which I would have thought was a fairly low bar to qualify for the term. But perhaps I am just as mad as you.

But certainly in my anecdotal experience the people doing things like Communion and Confirmation are doing it not because they are catholic or they have any interest in the faith. But because their own kids pressured them into doing it with the whole "everyone else is doing it and I want to do what my friends are doing" thing. Motivated in no small way, I am guessing, by their peers talking about how lucrative the day tends to be financially.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Please note: Jesus is not nonsense, or a fairytale.

And people who believe the earth is flat would also SAY that their ideas are not nonsense. But there is good reasons why their claims are not represented in geography class.

Now if at any point you, or the flat earthers, were to come up with.... finally.... the first SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that lends even a modicum of credence to the fairy tale nonsense.... that would be a different thing.

But until that point, there is good reason why many people argue for having peoples hobbies removed from an education curriculum.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Historians widely accept the historical figure of Jesus.

Then why do we need religion in schools at all? If the historicity was as secure as you think........ though actually its quite a bit more contentious than you are letting on...... then historical figures tend to get covered in..... well.... history class. Historical literature tends to get covered in the English Syllabus and similar.

Why not strip away all the unsubstantiated nonsense about magical zombies, virgin births, and miracles..... much of which many Catholics do not even believe themselves as it turns out....... and put the factual parts in the fact based curriculum of other subjects where they belong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why not strip away all the unsubstantiated nonsense about magical zombies, virgin births, and miracles..... much of which many Catholics do not even believe themselves as it turns out....... and put the factual parts in the fact based curriculum of other subjects where they belong?

Someone who doesn't believe in the Catholic teachings can't be Catholic. That's a paradox.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't believe in the Catholic teachings can't be Catholic. That's a paradox.

That is what I would have once said too. But it seems many people argue, including actual Catholics, even on this very forum, that if you identify as catholic then that is what you are. And no one else can say otherwise it seems.

But as I said a survey was done at the last Bishops Conference in Ireland of the Irish public. And found wonderful things like

10% of Irish Roman Catholics did not believe in god.
    Nearly 30% had no belief in life after death.
    Around half did not believe in a literal hell.
    Nearly 25% did not believe in a heaven.
    Nearly 30% DID believe in reincarnation.
    About 25% of the ones who DO believe there is a god, do not believe it is an intentional or interventionalist god like in the Bible but just merely a "spirit or life force".
    About 6% of those who think there is a god say said god is not that important in their life.

Now I would be the first to point out this kind of survey is flawed and not perfect. But the numbers are still amusing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭techdiver

Unlike many atheists who simply want religious indoctrination entirely removed from schools I would say I would be happy enough with having a situation where their ethos based curriculum be extra curricular to an ENTIRELY secular National Curriculum. Rather than remove it entirely.

I would have no issue with them then using the facilities financed by themselves or the state to then perpetuate their own particular hobbies AFTER and OUTSIDE the national curriculum. And if some kids leave the school and go home after the National Curriculum at 3pm say.... while some others stay in the school to attend the extra curricular subjects related to the school ethos.... then what harm?

In fact my feeling/suspicion would be that this would be BETTER for the church given the state of affairs today. In my experience, limited as it may be but certainly wider than average, the attempts to teach Catholicism have entirely failed on our population.

Almost no one I ever talk to on the subject seems to have the faintest notion of what the actual dogmas and tenets of the catholic faith even are. And when I was performing science experiments on Catholics Crackers and talking to catholics about it, they were mostly divided into three main very different opinions on what the Eucharist even is/means.

It seems to me that if you want someone to learn anything about Catholicism, the last thing you want to do is send them to any Catholic School of today. I think a more extra curricular approach would allow them to do it better. Which as an "atheist" (I never call myself one, but others do) would seem to be against my agenda.... but actually I have found nothing turns a person off their religion quicker than being shown the specifics of what they are meant to be beleiving.

Exactly. There is a gulf of difference between choice in theory and choice in practice. And saying things like "Of course you have a choice, you can go form your own school" is a semantic pretence that gulf does not exist. As if anyone has the time, resources or even know how to go about such things. Oh the dripping privilege of someone who CAN add an hour each way commute to their day to enrol the child in the school of their choice when many people A) do not even have that choice or B) do not have the time, money, resources or means to avail of more distant choices where they even exist.

The attitude is one of pure, dripping, privilege acting as if everyone has that same privilege when many people do not.

All the while under a constitution demanding that parents supply a "Minimum standard of education" to their children. So of course they are going to avail of whatever school choice they can. Accusations that its them as "Anti theists supporting the theist status quo" are petty, ridiculous, and agenda driven and blind to the actual realities many families live under.

There is also the ridiculous notion that you can merely "opt out" of religion class which was also mentioned earlier in the thread. As if. The issue there of course, as has been pointed out many times before, is that of the "Integrated Curriculum" that has been cleverly engineered over time. Quite often opting out of religion class is entirely useless, because religious instruction and indoctrination permeates the other subjects on the curriculum too.

Though actually I am intensely uncomfortable with the notion that parents even should be able to "opt out" of classes on behalf of their children if that class goes against their particular conscience. Whatever a parents personal hobby, it should not be justification for impinging on the minimum standard of secular fact based education for a child. Parents should not be seen as owners of their children, but stewards of them.

Considering how labile the term "catholic" has become I don't think you'd be mad for calling anyone catholic these days if you wanted to. A survey conducted at the Bishops Conference in Ireland found that many "Catholics" do not subscribe to some of the core tenets of the faith. A significant % of the Catholics do not even think there is a god. Which I would have thought was a fairly low bar to qualify for the term. But perhaps I am just as mad as you.

But certainly in my anecdotal experience the people doing things like Communion and Confirmation are doing it not because they are catholic or they have any interest in the faith. But because their own kids pressured them into doing it with the whole "everyone else is doing it and I want to do what my friends are doing" thing. Motivated in no small way, I am guessing, by their peers talking about how lucrative the day tends to be financially.

And people who believe the earth is flat would also SAY that their ideas are not nonsense. But there is good reasons why their claims are not represented in geography class.

Now if at any point you, or the flat earthers, were to come up with.... finally.... the first SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that lends even a modicum of credence to the fairy tale nonsense.... that would be a different thing.

But until that point, there is good reason why many people argue for having peoples hobbies removed from an education curriculum.

Then why do we need religion in schools at all? If the historicity was as secure as you think........ though actually its quite a bit more contentious than you are letting on...... then historical figures tend to get covered in..... well.... history class. Historical literature tends to get covered in the English Syllabus and similar.

Best post on this thread by far. Excellent.

• Advertisement

That is what I would have once said too. But it seems many people argue, including actual Catholics, even on this very forum, that if you identify as catholic then that is what you are. And no one else can say otherwise it seems.

But as I said a survey was done at the last Bishops Conference in Ireland of the Irish public. And found wonderful things like

About 25% of the ones who DO believe there is a god, do not believe it is an intentional or interventionalist god like in the Bible but just merely a "spirit or life force".
    About 6% of those who think there is a god say said god is not that important in their life.

Now I would be the first to point out this kind of survey is flawed and not perfect. But the numbers are still amusing to me.

Yes that argument is one which bugs me, while I too find it amusing. Once you're baptised you are catholic whether you burn a church down in the name of satan or not. It's a nice way to ensure flock numbers are maintained on paper.

To be honest many "catholics" don't give their religion a second thought, it's just drilled into them. Kneel, stand up, chant, sit down. That survey I'd imagine is a pretty accurate reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yes that argument is one which bugs me, while I too find it amusing. Once you're baptised you are catholic whether you burn a church down in the name of satan or not. It's a nice way to ensure flock numbers are maintained on paper.

Punching the pope leads to automatic excommunication. Would be rather impolite though.

More and more people are using the census to register their irreligiosity. When we're all dead and gone there will be very interesting research being done on who moved from catholic on one census to no religion on the next.

Punching the pope leads to automatic excommunication. .

I'm open to correction, but I think you can get away with it if you're drunk :)

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's OK to teach Religion, but teach them all or none. Using schools to indoctrinate is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-shortall-sex-education-5423557-Apr2021/?utm_source=twitter_short
    New Catholic school sex education programme not in line with Government policy, says Tánaiste

“Sex education needs to be fact based, and facts do not have an ethos.”

Well done Leo & Shortall.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm open to correction, but I think you can get away with it if you're drunk :)

Seriously.

No, if the Pope is drunk, you can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-shortall-sex-education-5423557-Apr2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

“Sex education needs to be fact based, and facts do not have an ethos.”

Well done Leo & Shortall.

I had to laugh at that one...

Can a woman have a penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

That's right: If Power Rangers seemed plausible, why not Jesus Christ.

I myself think the power rangers are more plausible than Jesus.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    probably not the institution itself but there were many individual selfless people ( both priests and nuns etc ) who dedicated their lives to educating people

,....but not so many that would break ranks on their fellows with regards to the atrocities they were committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Odhinn wrote: »
    ,....but not so many that would break ranks on their fellows with regards to the atrocities they were committing.

It's human nature...it was then...it is now.

Not sure what the point of that question is in the context of the thread, but in the spirt of the quote you are replying to.......... “Sex education needs to be fact based, and facts do not have an ethos”............. the very simple ethos free fact based answer is: Yes. Yes they can.

This is rapidly looking like schools are simply not gonna implement this as teachers won't even be happy to teach it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Catholic is catholic. What you are to believe is dictated to you by the church. Take it or leave it.

If you want to pick and choose then really you're a protestant. A very large number of "catholics" in Ireland are just cultural catholics, but their actual religious beliefs are far closer to protestants. They just don't realise it.

awec wrote: »
    Catholic is catholic. What you are to believe is dictated to you by the church. Take it or leave it.

If you want to pick and choose then really you're a protestant. A very large number of "catholics" in Ireland are just cultural catholics, but their actual religious beliefs are far closer to protestants. They just don't realise it.

Entirely agree with all of that, so don't shoot the messanger : ) I have seen it argued, including on this website by a user posting on this very thread, that the opposite is true and that you have the right to identify as Catholic if you want regardless of how many, or few, of the tenets of the faith you actually subscribe to.

Funny story I sometimes tell however. When I was experimenting on the crackers I talked to a lot of catholics. Including these two little old women who had been going to church together for many decades. WHILE talking to me they suddenly found out that they had very different beliefs. It seemed they shared their faith silently for decades and never once actually discussed what they believe. It was only while talking to me they were like "Hang on, you believe what???"

Was funny at the time, though I was worried I was going to ruin their long standing friendship (as differences of religious opinion can do) but they seem to have weathered it and are still fast friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Chelsea Clinton said yes so it must be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

You think they acted out of altruism?

Sorry, could you explain, with respect?

Sorry, could you explain, with respect?

Essentilally the church did what it did in order to insert itself as the major player for the "hearts and minds" of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Essentilally the church did what it did in order to insert itself as the major player for the "hearts and minds" of the population.

It's far from the benevolent and Christian facade it portrays.

One thing I always remembered from my convent school days was the story about Jesus seeing a temple being used as a marketplace. "No money in the house of God" (I'm paraphrasing).

Yet book any religious service and you'll be advised fairly sharpish of the minimum contribution. Bury a loved one who wanted a religious service and the undertaker will tell you the minimum acceptable amount for the priest and altar boys. Sure there no money in The Vatican after all ...

That's mild compared to the abuse and denials that we've all become familiar with, yet we're supposed to accept that apparently celibate bishops (with some notable exceptions) are best placed to devise sex education with a Catholic ethos.

It's far from the benevolent and Christian facade it portrays.

One thing I always remembered from my convent school days was the story about Jesus seeing a temple being used as a marketplace. "No money in the house of God" (I'm paraphrasing).

Yet book any religious service and you'll be advised fairly sharpish of the minimum contribution. Bury a loved one who wanted a religious service and the undertaker will tell you the minimum acceptable amount for the priest and altar boys. Sure there no money in The Vatican after all ...

That's mild compared to the abuse and denials that we've all become familiar with, yet we're supposed to accept that apparently celibate bishops (with some notable exceptions) are best placed to devise sex education with a Catholic ethos.

This episode show the true face of the church
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Scheme

yes, if she chooses.As many as she wants

Just came across another piece of useful information for those who still think non Catholics are "accommodated" by Catholic Schools. A school enrolment form states that if you wish for your child to be excused from Religious instructions in the school "it will not be possible for my child to be outside the classroom during these lessons and that I, as a parent/ guardian must remove my child from the school if I do not want them to hear the Religion lesson".

A nice handy extortion number to ensure new fodder is supplied to this organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

techdiver wrote: »
    Just came across another piece of useful information for those who still think non Catholics are "accommodated" by Catholic Schools. A school enrolment form states that if you wish for your child to be excused from Religious instructions in the school "it will not be possible for my child to be outside the classroom during these lessons and that I, as a parent/ guardian must remove my child from the school if I do not want them to hear the Religion lesson".

A nice handy extortion number to ensure new fodder is supplied to this organisation.

Huh?

When I was in secondary they just let me go on my own way to a study hall instead.

Huh?

When I was in secondary they just let me go on my own way to a study hall instead.

This is primary school. Whilst I sympathise with the resource restrictions I'm sure there are ways to work around it, but the "Board of management" (i.e. The Church) are leveraging it to leave a parent with little choice. Either quit working or allow my child to be indoctrinated.

Huh?

Yeah nice move huh? Sounds like a pretence to facilitate the supposed right to "opt out".

Merely sticking the child at the back of the class room and "othering" them.

But in fact the child is still in the class room and is still going to hear all the indoctrination and fantasy nonsense that they are supposedly opting out of.

The excuse I guess is usually they do not have the resources to accommodate them anywhere else in the school in any way.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

Advertisement