Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Dublin to Virginia

Options
  • 28-04-2021 12:22pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping to buy a house in the next year and we really like the look of Virginia. It ticks a lot of boxes for us - primary and secondary schools, shops, looks like plenty to do with the lake and forest etc on the doorstep. It would also be a reasonable commute for my husband (he works near Blanchardstown).

We have 2 kids, aged 9 and 3 and I suppose my main concern is A) what are the schools like there? And B) what do people do about 3rd level and transport? I see there's a Bus Eireann that takes about an hour and 30 mins to get to Dublin, but I'd say a 3 hour commute to college every day would be hard on a student.

Also are there good/bad areas? I know everything always looks lovely in estate agent photos and god knows when we'll be able to go and explore it in person with the restrictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Toots wrote: »
    Hoping to buy a house in the next year and we really like the look of Virginia. It ticks a lot of boxes for us - primary and secondary schools, shops, looks like plenty to do with the lake and forest etc on the doorstep. It would also be a reasonable commute for my husband (he works near Blanchardstown).

We have 2 kids, aged 9 and 3 and I suppose my main concern is A) what are the schools like there? And B) what do people do about 3rd level and transport? I see there's a Bus Eireann that takes about an hour and 30 mins to get to Dublin, but I'd say a 3 hour commute to college every day would be hard on a student.

Also are there good/bad areas? I know everything always looks lovely in estate agent photos and god knows when we'll be able to go and explore it in person with the restrictions.

Virginia is nice - got lidl and supervalu and also a few other handy shops no bank though.

Don't know about schools but regarding estates price can dictate. One thing you might want to consider is houses on the dublin side of virginia rather than having to go through town each day. Can be a bottle neck.

Commuting daily on the bus into dub city for university is tough going but certainly doable.

Forest and ramor lake are lovely spots right in the heart of Virginia.

Best of luck if you make the move

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there any progress with the Virginia by pass, is it ever going to get built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Whole thread on it in roads part of boards. Seems like construction starting 2029 :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yeah it's a long way off - maybe ready in time for the OPs kids graduation from university!

On going to college OP, I'd imagine your children would be driving by then, a car is pretty much a necessity when living in Cavan.

Advertisement