Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement from teaching and the start of the school year.

Options
  • 28-04-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Is it the case that teachers who are retiring are still required to attend staff meetings that take place in schools in late August before they retire?

If they are, then what is the point of requiring them to attend meetings that are intended to prepare for the academic year ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

I have never come across this happening. Is the teacher returning to school at the start of the academic year or retiring from the first day of the academic year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is it the case that teachers who are retiring are still required to attend staff meetings that take place in schools in late August before they retire?

If they are, then what is the point of requiring them to attend meetings that are intended to prepare for the academic year ahead?

no

but I wouldn't put it past some principals to request their presence

just ring in sick

unless there's a surprise party to say goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Treppen wrote: »
    no

unless there's a surprise party to say goodbye

I was actually thinking this as well. Could be a send off for that teacher at the end of the meeting.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If they're getting paid what's the problem with working? If they want you there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

If another teacher is taking over from you, it might be nice to pass on materials, documentation and any other thing which helps them or helps with continuity. Good for the students, good for the new teacher and good for the school. And you get paid to do it, so why not. A teacher did that in my place recently and it was most appreciated by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In ours (primary) the 1st day "back" is for a staff meeting and a "handover" to the next teacher and also a hot and sociable lunch (within covid guidelines this year, of course) I would turn up.

Advertisement