Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you allowed to light a Chiminea in a housing estate?

Options
  • 28-04-2021 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, would really appreciate some insight on this as all that Google is returning is regulations about burning domestic waste...

I have recently moved into a middle terraced house in a housing estate and I would like to know what are the regulations on lighting a chiminea in the back garden?
    The houses in the estate all have fireplaces with regular chimineys so it's not a "zero pollution zone" or anything like that.

However the landlord has closed up our fireplace and so we would really love to be able to enjoy an evening by the fire outside now that the summer is coming.
    We have no intentions of burning any household rubbish, we would only be burning enough kindling/wood to keep the fire going for 2 or 3 hours in the evening. (not everyday, maybe once a week)

How likely would it be that we could be reported to the Gardai and fined for lighting a chiminea in an area like this? or are we perfectly within our rights to do so?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

No idea what the regulations are but the only issue might be the smoke going in people's windows when it's coming from such a low height. Can't say I'd appreciate having smoke coming in the open windows at the back of the house. If the smoke drifts away from the houses then can't see anyone taking issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I dont know the law but I know many people with chimneas and fire pits living in estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MacGyvor

We have quite a long garden, and would be putting it down the bottom, approx 25-30ft away from any neighbouring houses (no houses behind ours either just houses to each side)??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But you aren't burning domestic waste though?
    Whatever you burn in a normal fireplace is the same as in a chiminea.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

MacGyvor wrote: »
    We have quite a long garden, and would be putting it down the bottom, approx 25-30ft away from any neighbouring houses (no houses behind ours either just houses to each side)??

Should be grand so, maybe just a friendly call to a neighbour to say hey if the smoke bothers you let us know. In the interests of being neighbourly.

• Advertisement

Bassfish wrote: »
    Should be grand so, maybe just a friendly call to a neighbour to say hey if the smoke bothers you let us know. In the interests of being neighbourly.

Cheers, just thought there might be different legal requirements in a built up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have the exact same question! Was going to start a thread myself actually.

My house is semi detached in an estate. I'm not overly concerned with the law as I can't see why it would be illegal. But I don't want to p*ss off my neighbours with smoke. I've never seen a chiminea in action. Are they smokey? Is there a special fuel you get for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Friendly relations with neighbours make life much easier :)

Sky King wrote: »
    I have the exact same question! Was going to start a thread myself actually.

My house is semi detached in an estate. I'm not overly concerned with the law as I can't see why it would be illegal. But I don't want to p*ss off my neighbours with smoke. I've never seen a chiminea in action. Are they smokey? Is there a special fuel you get for them?

A friend of ours has one, they just burn logs in it and it's not that smokey but could depend on the type of wood. They're not too worried though because closest neighbour half a km away lol

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

Check which way the wind is blowing first.
    Bring in washing on clothes lines and look out for neighbours also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

.... a friendly call to a neighbour to say hey if the smoke bothers you let us know. In the interests of being neighbourly.
    65535 wrote: »
    Check which way the wind is blowing first.
    Bring in washing on clothes lines and look out for neighbours also.

Two great posts here

Advertisement