Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French generals cause backlash with 'civil war' warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Second letter from military staff says threat of punishment ‘quite perverse’ and repeats: ‘Civil war is brewing in France’

Serving members of the French military have fired a second salvo at Emmanuel Macron’s government in an open letter accusing it of “cowardice, deceit, perversion”, just weeks after a first letter said the country was heading for “civil war”.

French far-left presidential hopeful Jean-Luc Mélenchon said: “They are seditious and cowardly. I’m not afraid to say my name and what I will do if I’m elected and that’s to purge the army of its dissident members.”

Fun fact about Mélenchon; a Paris court handed him a suspended three-month prison term and a 8,000 euros fine in December 2019 for intimidating officials who were investigating him over possible funding irregularities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/10/french-soldiers-accuse-government-of-trying-to-silence-warnings-of-civil-war

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »
    Second letter from military staff says threat of punishment ‘quite perverse’ and repeats: ‘Civil war is brewing in France’

Serving members of the French military have fired a second salvo at Emmanuel Macron’s government in an open letter accusing it of “cowardice, deceit, perversion”, just weeks after a first letter said the country was heading for “civil war”.

French far-left presidential hopeful Jean-Luc Mélenchon said: “They are seditious and cowardly. I’m not afraid to say my name and what I will do if I’m elected and that’s to purge the army of its dissident members.”

Fun fact about Mélenchon; a Paris court handed him a suspended three-month prison term and a 8,000 euros fine in December 2019 for intimidating officials who were investigating him over possible funding irregularities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/10/french-soldiers-accuse-government-of-trying-to-silence-warnings-of-civil-war

Does this fun fact include the exclusion of any charges arising from that investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Overheal wrote: »
    Hey I'm getting good at turning off cookies no matter the language barrier :pac:

First link is **** journalism: they mention the mosques are "out of compliance" but fail to say how, " Fourteen were closed for non-compliance with safety standards," but which standards, wet floor, not enough handicapped stalls, inciting violence etc? I'd like a lot more info for what the mosques are alleged to be doing wrong. That type of song and dance is how abortion clinics are shut down in the US: 'oh, you need surgical grade facilities to give someone plan B' etc. - like, what safety issues are endemic to 89 mosques and no other place of worship? Is this a building code thing and if so who built them? Surely a licensed French contractor? Show me the incitement of violence emanating from these mosques, someone please.

There's an extension for chrome called "I don't care about cookies" that will automatically block them. I'm sure there's similar extensions for other browsers.

An essential extension along with adblocker that also blocks youtube ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's an extension for chrome called "I don't care about cookies" that will automatically block them. I'm sure there's similar extensions for other browsers.

An essential extension along with adblocker that also blocks youtube ads.

Added. feelsgood.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The French military hasn't experienced this since the days of the OAS in the 1960s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Politicians need to start taking feedback and taking on board the views on immigration of their national constituencies instead of ignoring them.

This is a big part of the problem.

People see their local areas around them changing unrecognisably often in a small period of time and they feel powerless to do anything.

It must look like leaders are totally out of touch on the ground.

There is no surprise when instability grows, it strikes me as the inevitable consequences of their own policies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are ad hominems really all you have?

The military shouldn't be calling the shots. This shouldn't even need to be pointed out. I get that sizeable chunks of the modern right despise democracy but if they can't win elections, that's their problem.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

I like the use of the word 'purge'. Good way for a looney leftist to out himself.

Are ad hominems really all you have?

The military shouldn't be calling the shots. This shouldn't even need to be pointed out. I get that sizeable chunks of the modern right despise democracy but if they can't win elections, that's their problem.

How did you feel about Trump being president, Brexit, Boris Johnson becoming PM ? All democratic wins for the right.

The ad-hominems over the last 4 years were emanating from the leftist media .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ek motor wrote: »
    How did you feel about Trump being president, Brexit, Boris Johnson becoming PM ? All democratic wins for the right.

Trump won because of America's dysfunctional system that elected a literal loser. Johnson and Brexit are democratically legitimate though.

It's odd that right wing types bleat endlessly about leftist politicians and then boast like here of things like this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

ek motor wrote: »

We might not have liked it. But I don't believe any of us objected to it occurring. I don't recall Capaill or anyone else calling for a military coup to oust either Boris or Trump. Impeachment votes for the latter etc was democratic and had good grounds for doing so. So yep, military coups and support of them seems to be coming from the right.

We might not have liked it. But I don't believe any of us objected to it occurring. I don't recall Capaill or anyone else calling for a military coup to oust either Boris or Trump. Impeachment votes for the latter etc was democratic and had good grounds for doing so. So yep, military coups and support of them seems to be coming from the right.

As the old saying goes, "A thief thinks everyone is stealing from him". Authoritarians are judging others by their own standards and expecting the same opinions and actions from them that they have and do themselves.

As the old saying goes, "A thief thinks everyone is stealing from him". Authoritarians are judging others by their own standards and expecting the same opinions and actions from them that they have and do themselves.

And the military overthrow nonsense exists in the US too. Posters complaining about it not getting major coverage etc but realistically the odds of such a coup occurring are incredibly low. So regardless of how respected their names were in past, by attaching to this they've become dangerous loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Posters like yourself wanted a second Brexit vote for an age, you were trying to frame Trump as an illegitimate president for years, claiming he only won because of Russian interference. This type of historical revisionism only works on people who have the memory of a gold fish.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Posters like yourself wanted a second Brexit vote for an age, you were trying to frame Trump as an illegitimate president for years, claiming he only won because of Russian interference. This historical revisionism only works on people who have the memory of a gold fish.

I'm pretty fine with the UK brexiting, it's a pretty silly thing to do but I'm fine with respecting the result. Russian interference was most definitely a factor in the election, I have no idea if it determined the outcome.

Anyway, can you point to me or Capaill calling for a military coup to overthrow trump? In fact, I think you'd struggle to find anyone on the site calling for such a thing. It's a pretty right wing thing to argue for... Do you want the French military to engage in a coup? This is the key thing, that absolute is undermining a democratic state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I'm pretty fine with the UK brexiting, it's a pretty silly thing to do but I'm fine with respecting the result. Russian interference was most definitely a factor in the election, I have no idea if it determined the outcome.

Anyway, can you point to me or Capaill calling for a military coup to overthrow trump? In fact, I think you'd struggle to find anyone on the site calling for such a thing. It's a pretty right wing thing to argue for... Do you want the French military to engage in a coup? This is the key thing, that absolute is undermipning a democratic state.

That's right. The "devoir de réserve" also applies to the gendarmerie, since it is a part of the military. They knew very well that their action was not acceptable, and that they have other avenues of communicating with politicians, not a public letter.

There's not going to be any kind of coup. It's a public statement seeking to draw the attention of the public towards a problem that the generals consider to be important. This wasn't a message for the politicians. It was a message to the electorate who have supported those politicians, and the public servants who operate the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm still waiting for someone to say there is absolutely no risk of unrest or civil war in France and the generals are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm still waiting for someone to say there is absolutely no risk of unrest or civil war in France and the generals are wrong.

Unrest (riots/protest?) Is always possible, civil war? Never gonna happen.

I'd agree with this. The French seem to be a lot more assertive than the tired old imported Simpsons trope would have you believe.

This just stinks of the grumbling of some irrelevant old men.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with this. The French seem to be a lot more assertive than the tired old imported Simpsons trope would have you believe.

This just stinks of the grumbling of some irrelevant old men.

Hardly irrelevant. France has a long tradition with it's military, which means that even apart from it's standing/reservist forces, there are a lot of people with historical links to the military.

These generals will likely have some influence over those people, whether they're within the military itself, or by having some link to it. As such, their letter will likely reach out most to that population, wherever they might be in France. Just as there will be people who trust the opinions of those within the military, with regards to the threats facing France.

In Ireland, the military has little status, and is more of an afterthought. Sure, there's some pride for a minority of Irish people, but the majority know little about what they get up to, and/or couldn't care less. That's not the case with France, with a long military history, and more importantly, they've retained a sense of nationalism, and pride in their military.

Trump won because of America's dysfunctional system that elected a literal loser. Johnson and Brexit are democratically legitimate though.

It's odd that right wing types bleat endlessly about leftist politicians and then boast like here of things like this.

Utter tosh. The left leaning media attempted to discredit Trumps victory by inferring completely unproven Russian involvement. It went on for years. Both Democrats and Republicans signed up to the electoral college system so they knew exactly the criteria required for victory which Trump obtained.

I love the 'literal loser' sneer, that result stills grates with leftists 5 years later , superb .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Civil war? No, not on your nelly. I'd say it's no coincidence there's a presidential election next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hardly irrelevant. France has a long tradition with it's military, which means that even apart from it's standing/reservist forces, there are a lot of people with historical links to the military.

These generals will likely have some influence over those people, whether they're within the military itself, or by having some link to it. As such, their letter will likely reach out most to that population, wherever they might be in France. Just as there will be people who trust the opinions of those within the military, with regards to the threats facing France.

In Ireland, the military has little status, and is more of an afterthought. Sure, there's some pride for a minority of Irish people, but the majority know little about what they get up to, and/or couldn't care less. That's not the case with France, with a long military history, and more importantly, they've retained a sense of nationalism, and pride in their military.

Oddly enough the French public seem to behind the old (and young men) who signed that letter. But, yeah irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They have the opposite problem to us. Here the lawless hoards mostly live in the city centre.

You can't just blame one group of people like that?? I know a few Lawlesses and they're no worse than Lawlors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Why would it never happen?

Situations like this have ended in civil war again and again throughout history. Probably days before most of those events happened, most people were saying it could never happen.

It is actually dangerous to think should things could never happen.

jackboy wrote: »
    Why would it never happen?

Situations like this have ended in civil war again and again throughout history. Probably days before most of those events happened, most people were saying it could never happen.

It is actually dangerous to think should things could never happen.

Well... if you believe it could happen, under what circumstances would that be?

The thing is that France has always been somewhat divided. Many of the people in France have always held allegiances to previous duchies, or States that existed before the formation of modern France.. and yet, we haven't seen it splinter into bits and pieces.

French people will complain, will protest, will march to display their opposition, but I don't believe for a moment, that there is any significant population that wants to instigate a violent change within the country. Perhaps you can explain how there would be? Not a minority with right leaning ideals, or those on the left, but a significant number of people who would be capable of destabilising the nation enough for a civil war to occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well... if you believe it could happen, under what circumstances would that be?

The thing is that France has always been somewhat divided. Many of the people in France have always held allegiances to previous duchies, or States that existed before the formation of modern France.. and yet, we haven't seen it splinter into bits and pieces.

French people will complain, will protest, will march to display their opposition, but I don't believe for a moment, that there is any significant population that wants to instigate a violent change within the country. Perhaps you can explain how there would be? Not a minority with right leaning ideals, or those on the left, but a significant number of people who would be capable of destabilising the nation enough for a civil war to occur?

Its not about an organised group trying to seize power it’s about people killing their neighbours in a large scale event. That has happened countless times in history.

jackboy wrote: »
    Its not about an organised group trying to seize power it’s about people killing their neighbours in a large scale event. That has happened countless times in history.

Such as?

I'm guessing you're thinking something along the lines of the cultural revolution in China.. at least, that's the closest I can think of, based on what you wrote above..

What are these examples, in a western society with the modern social and moral structures that are in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Such as?

I'm guessing you're thinking something along the lines of the cultural revolution in China.. at least, that's the closest I can think of, based on what you wrote above..

What are these examples, in a western society with the modern social and moral structures that are in place?

Well, for one thing France has known many internecine wars, religious wars and uprisings. You don't need to look to China's history nor that far back for evidence of civil strife happening on European soil.

Advertisement