Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French generals cause backlash with 'civil war' warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What’s the obsession with French politics in this forum? Particularly if hardly anyone has any background knowledge?

Bizarre

grassylawn wrote: »
    Well how could they shoot the rifle? By firing a different gun? It is a nonsensical request.

The best gun french are created and ever used are Guillotine
    Probably best ever created and used gun in history of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

probably from the same cohort that quotes Dunkirk as if it was a victory

Some people do tend to forget that ze Germans ran through the British like a dose of salts and left them praying that the wehrmacht would not overcome its aversion to water until the Yanks would bail them out....again.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 AmyMurphy22

growleaves wrote: »
    The Italians fought the Free French. Both considered the French very fierce.

The only army I'd consider worse and more pathetic than the French would be the Italians. They're performance in WW2 was laughable. So that's not a great example there my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The letter is taking a political stance. It was signed by active soldiers, not just retired generals. They are breaking the law the letter goes on about enforcing.

The thing that strikes me the most is the awful flowery roundabout style of the letter. Painful to read it.

French is quite hard to translate into English without sounding incredibly flowery and over the top. In many ways its a very theatrical, bombastic language.

For a country that has such a famous democratic heritage, the Army have been very influential in politics until very recently. De Gaulle only came to power in 1958 after the army threatened to overthrow the government if it stood in his way. Parts of the same army tried to overthrow De Gaulle himself only a few years later. I suspect they still aren't entirely adjusted to the notion of civilian power trumping the military.

• Advertisement

Jequ0n wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with French politics in this forum? Particularly if hardly anyone has any background knowledge?

Bizarre

It’s where a lot of deluded and angry men believe the match will be lit to bring about the sort of far-right utopia they dream of from the comfort of their cold water bedsit.

There’s problems with immigration across Europe, but these lads think civil war and rivers of blood will be the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Do you think the provisional IRA were "brave" too?

What would you do if someone invaded your country?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bizarre

I'd say its because they're about 300 miles off our coast and are a fellow member of the EU.

Unlike the US. :)

The letter is taking a political stance. It was signed by active soldiers, not just retired generals. They are breaking the law the letter goes on about enforcing.

The thing that strikes me the most is the awful flowery roundabout style of the letter. Painful to read it.

Of course it's showing a political stance. The French in every aspect of their society proclaim their politics and interests. What? people really expect the Military not to do likewise. At least they're not out marching, and burning cars while they protest.

The French military are a political group. They always have been.. by their declaration that they would enforce the laws of their country, and protect their constitution. Most military forces are the same in this respect when there is a constitution that needs protecting...

As for flowery, it's the French style translated into English. In French, it would sound more natural since it's part of their cultural identity to speak that way. Irish and British people tend to be more reserved in their speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Do you think the provisional IRA were "brave" too?

Yes absolutely.

In fact, every terrorist is brave, irrespective on how horrific their methods or cause is. I never understood the why the term 'cowardly' is used to describe them, it's self-evidently untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

The only army I'd consider worse and more pathetic than the French would be the Italians. They're performance in WW2 was laughable. So that's not a great example there my friend.

What's this got to do with the OP anyway?

Bizarre

We’re all part of the one union.

Treppen wrote: »

I concur. But the overwhelming feeling down south (among the hypocrites of the free state) seems to be that resistance was only brave during the 1916 rising and the war of independence. Any violence in 1960s onwards was just sectarian terrorist scumbags.

What's this got to do with the OP anyway?

Nothing - ask them why they brought up Italy. It wasn't me.

Yes absolutely.

In fact, every terrorist is brave, irrespective on how horrific their methods or cause is. I never understood the why the term 'cowardly' is used to describe them, it's self-evidently untrue.

Really - every terrorist? Irrespective of methods? That's not true. Some terrorists just plant bombs and don't actually face any opposition. Also, Adam Lanza shot up a school of 5 YEAR OLDS. That's not brave.

Why did the germans take France so quickly do you think

A deeply divided society, with the clashing of ideologies such as Communism, and Fascism.

A resentment towards the range of failed governments who continued to misrepresent the people.

Or they faced a highly successful German force using new tactics, and were completely unprepared for this new form of warfare.

Many reasons. Many perfectly valid reasons when you pay attention to the details. It's not as clear cut as people want to make it out to be.

I always find it interesting that people forgive Poland for falling so quickly, but won't extend the same sympathy towards France, even though their main defense was essentially useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Really - every terrorist? Irrespective of methods? That's not true. Some terrorists just plant bombs and don't actually face any opposition. Also, Adam Lanza shot up a school of 5 YEAR OLDS. That's not brave.

They might be utterly despicable and evil. But not cowardly, by definition.

Btw, we are talking about terrorists/freedom fighters, not serial killers or insane school shooters.

Did somebody invade Northern Ireland

I concur. But the overwhelming feeling down south (among the hypocrites of the free state) seems to be that resistance was only brave during the 1916 rising and the war of independence. Any violence in 1960s onwards was just sectarian terrorist scumbags.

Yup. I'd agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Right, I’ll leave you to it
    Let me know when someone needs some actual source translation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bizarre
    They are closer to us than US for starters. Also they are the cradle of modern liberalism and much of modern politics, and a huge player in the European Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Going to bed. Will see if there are tanks on the streets tomorrow...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yup. I'd agree with that.

Really? You think even after the civil rights marches were attacked by the RUC, that any fighting back by the nationalists was just "terrorist scumbags"? WOW.

biko wrote: »
    They are closer to us than US for starters. Also they are the cradle of modern liberalism and much of modern politics, and a huge player in the European Union.

Any thread about any other country has somebody in moaning about why people care another other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

The Germans used wireless communications. They had faster though weaker tanks. The crews were larger and had dedicated roles. Squads were expected to use their initiative. They pursued a fast-moving aggressive and highly risky strategy, grasping at any chance of a decisive victory in a fight they thought would be very tough. Their tank units were able to move beyond infantry. They were well-trained and experienced with mobile tactics. They also had air superiority.

The Allies still used phones and couriers to communicate with each other. They were trained in static formations rather than mobile warfare. Soldiers were expected to wait until receiving instructions from the top, and not use their own initiative. Their use of tanks was restricted to supporting infantry.

All in all, the Germans were dynamic, fast and used an exceptionally aggressive strategy. he allies were static and slow.

- Summarised from reading about it in wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

At various stages throughout history French have defeated the English, Dutch, Russians, Prussians, Austrians, Swedes. They had an enormous colonial empire. Irish people pulling out the surrender monkey gag is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

At various stages throughout history French have defeated the English, Dutch, Russians, Prussians, Austrians, Swedes. They had an enormous colonial empire. Irish people pulling out the surrender monkey gag is just embarrassing.

Nothing ever happened in the world other than Ww2.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Well how could they shoot the rifle? By firing a different gun? It is a nonsensical request.
    ...You see shooting a rifle means hitting it with a bullet that you fired from a gun. You don't shoot guns unless you are tj hooker disarming a criminal. You fire them...

Really? You think even after the civil rights marches were attacked by the RUC, that any fighting back by the nationalists was just "terrorist scumbags"? WOW.

Oh, you're not distinguishing any difference between nationalists and those who engaged in terrorism? Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

biko wrote: »

France is neo liberal.
    Can't argue with the fact a teacher was beheaded though. Not exactly an everyday occurrence in most countries.

Someone getting beheaded isn't a cause for civil war. Absolutely laughable release if that is actually real. Every one of those generals should be fired.

Advertisement