Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambled Channels through Sky Feed

• 28-04-2021 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

Apologies if this type of question has been asked a million times. After noticing there was a dish on the grounds of my apartment block I decided to connect the living room TV to the outlet on the wall with an F Sat aux cable. To my surprise 100s of channels were found but the majority of them were duplicates of FreeView channels. Some of the FreeView channels are scrambled and all of the Irish channels are scrambled. I understand that Irish Sky customers need a subscription to watch RTE through their Sky Box.
    My question is there any way of unscrambling FreeView or any of the Irish channels? We've tried using an indoor aerial for SaorView but we're unable to get a steady reception despite being within 5k of Three Rock.
    I have probably answered my own question here but thought there was no harm in asking the question here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

No theres not.
    you'll get most of the UK channels (itv BBC c4 and lots more) on free-to-air satellite
    To get RTE you need to pay Sky (or Eir or Vodafone or Virgin), or find a way to get a signal on your aerial (attic or window facing towards Ticknock might work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sky encrypt channels on the satellite, including the Saorview channels, and the only means of decrypting them is to take out a contract with Sky.
    There are at the same time a large number of unencrypted UK channels available from satellite, and the Saorview channels are available via an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mrrandom123

athlone573 wrote: »
    No theres not.
    you'll get most of the UK channels (itv BBC c4 and lots more) on free-to-air satellite
    To get RTE you need to pay Sky (or Eir or Vodafone or Virgin), or find a way to get a signal on your aerial (attic or window facing towards Ticknock might work)

Thanks for the reply. Have tried a couple of indoor aerials in the living room. I can see Ticknock directly out the window but I can never get a stable signal. Not sure if it's a concrete wall blocking the signal or something in the room like the modem interfering with it. Works perfectly fine on the bedroom TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Thanks for the reply. Have tried a couple of indoor aerials in the living room. I can see Ticknock directly out the window but I can never get a stable signal. Not sure if it's a concrete wall blocking the signal or something in the room like the modem interfering with it. Works perfectly fine on the bedroom TV.

It might be some metallic chemicals in the windows or something. Anyway hopefully you got some pointers here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Hello,

Apologies if this type of question has been asked a million times. After noticing there was a dish on the grounds of my apartment block I decided to connect the living room TV to the outlet on the wall with an F Sat aux cable. To my surprise 100s of channels were found but the majority of them were duplicates of FreeView channels. Some of the FreeView channels are scrambled and all of the Irish channels are scrambled. I understand that Irish Sky customers need a subscription to watch RTE through their Sky Box.
    My question is there any way of unscrambling FreeView or any of the Irish channels? We've tried using an indoor aerial for SaorView but we're unable to get a steady reception despite being within 5k of Three Rock.
    I have probably answered my own question here but thought there was no harm in asking the question here!

Are the main UK channels, BBC, ITV, C4, clear, then its a case of sorting them in some order, free to air channels come in in no order and you get all the regional variations.
    What type/model tv do you have, there may be a Freesat mode, in which case the channels will tune in order.
    Can you put your Saorview aerial outside, put it on the balcony, in the direction of Three Rock if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is there any possibility that the outlet on the wall is for Virgin Media? That will scan mostly scrambled channels.

Advertisement