Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance for COPD

Options
  • 29-04-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just wondering if anyone has received carers allowance for looking after someone with COPD?

My dad is 70 with COPD (not on an oxygen tank yet) and the smallest tasks have him gasping. I do almost everything for him apart from showering. I have never applied for carers as I assumed it would be rejected as it seems like the criteria is very hard. My dad himself is just getting his pension and no other welfare payment.

Any information would be gratefully received, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP you can check out the requirements here. The allowance isn't so much down to the illness as concerned with your situation and the amount of time you are needed, and your financial situation.

I cared for my husband for years with COPD, including his final few years when he was severely incapacitated, but I did not get Carers Allowance, I did not even apply as I knew we would not be entitled to it. If you read the requirements and think you may be eligible the best thing you can do is just apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 FriendlySpider

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. I have looked at the requirements before and I was just unsure on the section about the person you are caring for and what they count as 'incapacitated'.

For instance my dad goes to the toilet, showers and eats his dinner without help. But he wouldn't be able to make his dinner without gasping or say bring something upstairs or even to the back door without gasping and sweating.

I do everything around the house and am his carer but unofficially. I wasn't sure when they say incapacitated and mention bodily functions if they meant the person you are looking after can't do anything at all for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you need to look at income/financial situation and how permanently you are there. If these add up then give it a try. From what I have seen on this forum though it is a very slow process.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 FriendlySpider

I would be eligible on the financial side of things and I would be at home doing the bits for him all the time apart from doing the weekly shop ect.

I suppose I should just give it a try, I just didn't know if they classed copd as needing a carer as opposed to say someone with dementia if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement