Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a 2TB solid state drive

Options
  • 29-04-2021 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 year old desktop pc which i built.
    Can someone recommend an internal 2 TB SSD?
    Motherboard I have is sabertooth 990 FX r.r0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

thebourke wrote: »
    I have a 6 year old desktop pc which i built.
    Can someone recommend an internal 2 TB SSD?
    Motherboard I have is sabertooth 990 FX r.r0
    Me running Saber 990FX R.2
    You can, depending on your desire, needs and budget:
    1. Get SATA drive, like Samsung or similar - cheap, plug and play
    2. Update firmware to latest on MoBo(must for boot from PCIe to work if for C:\ drive), get PCIe-to-NVMe adapter, get NVMe drive

Note:
    Saber is only PCIe v2 so you wont be able to exhaust full speed from NVMe disk (PCIe v3 or even v4 ) but will show better speeds on tests compare to SATA.
    Real life usage speeds might not give you feeling of NVMe capabilities at all
    NVMe run Fking hot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No point going NVMe unless you're holding onto it for a new build.

Also FYI but the Asus Sabertooth 990FX released in Q2'2011.

IMHO you should start considering a fresh system build if you're trying to get more performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

ok thanks for the info...i used a german site called hardwareversand to buy the parts from about 7 years ago...
    the site don't exist any more
    any website recommendations now for building a pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

The GPU situation is terrible at the moment, so be aware that a prebuild might be a better option than building new. That is of course unless you can reuse you current GPU or can get a GPU at RRP . What's your current rigs full spec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The system is a bit old, sure, but it really depends on the use you make of it - I know people with 10+ years old laptops who are perfectly fine with them once a SATA SSD has been put in place of the mechanical HDD.

Anyway the SSD is something you can reuse on any system, so I'd say it's worth a try. You can only install a SATA one - and in that field, as long as you avoid some of the stuff you sometimes find in Currys et all for peanuts, you should be all right.

Anything like a Samsung 860Evo, Western Digital Blue, SK Hynix - there are plenty, really. Check this out:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1092033-ssd-tier-list/

And scroll down to the "SATA" section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Agree, system is old and most parts cannot be reused for new build.
    It still run for most tasks without problems

Disagree with
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    You can only install a SATA one

Not saying its worth it, but can be transferred to new build thereafter.
    As data drive it'll work "out of box", after installing BIOS v2901 available as boot drive (adapter card needed)
    551943.JPG

Advertisement