Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a change.

Options
  • 29-04-2021 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Hi guys! 37 yr old male primary teacher here. I'm in my 12th year teaching and things are just a little stale. Things are just not very exciting. I'm just going through the motions in school and getting cranky with the kids. They're a great class though. The motivation is hard to find.

I'm not entirely sure though what I can do. I was looking at doing a few years of teaching abroad but then I was thinking should I just leave the teaching altogether for a bit and just give it a break. A change of career? But where would I go, what would I do?

I suppose all I'm wondering has anyone any experience of this. I would imagine plenty get the itch. Has anyone done something and gone away and come back to the classroom with a bit more of a pep in their step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I’ve found that it goes in cycles. If you can move schools, try that first. I had that itch, and it went away when we had a change of management and it turned out that it wasn’t teaching but (some of) those I was teaching with.

That being said, the lack of opportunities for advancement is definitely giving me itchy feet, but the actual teaching is fine again, now that I don’t find the management contemptible.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

You could try an exchange and teach in another school but I think the deadline has passed.

The PDST advertise occasionally. You can go on secondment but generally most people start out part time before moving onto a full time post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've just applied for a secondment. I don't think I'll like the office based work as much as teaching, but I absolutely need a change. Mightn't get it, and if I don't I'll look for something else like inspectorate, PDST. We have JC for Teachers and the new Leaving Cert gang as well we can work with. I presume primary has the same. NCCA have opportunities from time to time as well. I'd work abroad if I could but have commitments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Thanks guys for the bits of advice. I'm too late now this year for a change of school or anything like that so what I'm thinking of doing is doing a part time online course or two that isn't related to education. At least it will be something totally new and different and might send me in a different direction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sounds good. There are lots of things ex teachers go on to do. Some of my college friends now work in PR, science, few gone into politics, the inspectorate and one's a guard!

• Advertisement
Advertisement