Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty item & postage costs

Options
  • 29-04-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Bought an item off online (€70 + €6 delivery)
    When it arrived it turned out it did not work fully.
    Posted it back to retailer at a cost of €13 as the item was large and bulky.
    Retailer refunded me €70 + €6 but are refusing to refund the €13 and directed me to their "returns policy" which states that any return costs are incurred by the buyer.

Surely because the item was faulty, and it's not simply a case of I changed my mind they should refund me for this also?

Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It all depends on what country you bought from and if they shipped directly to you. For a faulty item from an EU retailer shipped directly to you they have to cover the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

Yes I think they should be refunding the return postage costs, you shouldn't be out of pocket for a faulty item. They can make you pay the return postage, because they need to inspect the item to make sure it is faulty but they should refund it once the item is actually faulty. Unfortunately you may find it difficult to get that back. You can contact the CCPC & ask them for advice. They may contact the seller on your behalf which may push them to refund it.
    I've had issues with faulty good before & went to the small claims court. It was awarded in my favor but the seller simply stopped replying after that so I was out of pocket for the item & the cost of the SCC process. Can't hurt to get the CCPC involved but I wouldn't be trying to go to the SCC for €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks. It was a place in Tallaght.

Will contact the CCPC if I don't get a favourable response.

I kept proof of postage and attached it in the email to them but no joy just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Bought an item off online (€70 + €6 delivery)
    When it arrived it turned out it did not work fully.
    Posted it back to retailer at a cost of €13 as the item was large and bulky.
    Retailer refunded me €70 + €6 but are refusing to refund the €13 and directed me to their "returns policy" which states that any return costs are incurred by the buyer.

Surely because the item was faulty, and it's not simply a case of I changed my mind they should refund me for this also?

Please advise.

I use PayPal for that very reason, they normally refund postage in cases like that and it saves all the hassle.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

raxy wrote: »
    but I wouldn't be trying to go to the SCC for €13.

It won't be entertained by the filing clerk. You can't claim the €25 fee so anything under €25 is refused.

My experience is that it needs to be well over a hundred to make it worth it due to the cost, time and hassle involved; and if a hearing is demanded by the defendant (for instance certain mobile networks do this, then don't show up - deliberately) add whatever you value a day off work as to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement