Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter - Season 9 - 2021 - US Pace - Showtime (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What even happened in the end? I didn't watch the last season, just the final episode.
    Was he found out and then went off to live as a lumberjack, after people thought he died in the storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

It won't be the same, he won't be a blood splatter analyst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Effects wrote: »
    What even happened in the end? I didn't watch the last season, just the final episode.
    Was he found out and then went off to live as a lumberjack, after people thought he died in the storm?

Yes.

Worst end to a show ever. Last few seasons were literal zero out of 10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Great to see Clancy Brown in the new show he does bad guys very well, anything will be an improvement on the final season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It won't be the same, he won't be a blood splatter analyst

He might be. It would be the last place they'd expect to find him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh I genuinely don't know if I will be able to watch it, I was so pissed off with how it all ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

pc7 wrote: »
    Oh I genuinely don't know if I will be able to watch it, I was so pissed off with how it all ended.

My thoughts exactly. It wasn't just a disappointing ending, I was actually annoyed with the show and the choices it made. Extremely unsatisfying.

I barely remember how it ended. Just lumberjack and Deb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the original showrunner is still on board, I'd maintain a cautious optimism this could be halfway decent. I've got the impression all those involved recognise how bad the original finale was and want to do amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Hmmm, heard about this on the radio earlier today.

Loved, and I do mean LOVED, Seasons 1-4 but hated 5 & 6. It just dropped off a cliff. So bad I never watched 7 & 8. Might have to now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sweaty colour and energy of Miami was such a constant element to the original show it'll be weird to see the same character in such a reverse setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I find that teaser really infuriating.

The series "ended" with such a whimper, it's almost a lack of respect for the viewers to have Dexter back to his Dearly Devoted best with that little glib gesture straight off the back.

And yet, I'll probably tune in.

Mad to think Rita's 2 kids would be fully grown by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    The sweaty colour and energy of Miami was such a constant element to the original show it'll be weird to see the same character in such a reverse setting.

That trailer setting giving a Fargo vibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

I find that teaser really infuriating.

The series "ended" with such a whimper, it's almost a lack of respect for the viewers to have Dexter back to his Dearly Devoted best with that little glib gesture straight off the back.

And yet, I'll probably tune in.

I won't. Wish I had stopped after the John Lithgow season. I'm not wasting anymore time on it.

Interesting none of the original cast are coming back even Harry

https://twitter.com/joblocom/status/1391869051299766273?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No Harry.

Dexter without Harry is not Dexter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COZOy69nHKS/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This show started so well and ended so poorly that I really am unsure whether to give this a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Ghost Dad isn't returning IIRC, so perhaps they're going to have Lithgow be the new spectral presence - only this time, the one egging him on to engage with his urges once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ghost Dad isn't returning IIRC, so perhaps they're going to have Lithgow be the new spectral presence - only this time, the one egging him on to engage with his urges once more.

Yes!! Trinity ghost plz!!!

Tbh, Harry used to bore me, be like 'stfu and let the man go kill some evils'

Deb is returning too

First trailer is out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Should be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Full trailer is out. I'm getting great vibes from this.

Oh that does look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Im undecided if i'll watch this. I don't think it could make me more angry than the final season did. But even if its only half as bad then its still a waste of time.

But that trailer does look good enough.

Ghost Deb! Ooh then I do wonder if she's the angel on his shoulder, Trinity the devil egging him on.

My wife gave up on this show around Season 5; partly cos I warned her about the nose-diving quality; wonder if we can watch this together, just catch her up on the bullshít she missed out on! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not much to catch up on.

Deb died, Dexter faked his death, became a lumberjack and pissed everyone off.

End of explanation. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looking forward to this and so is my wife, not too many shows I can say that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

That doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how soul-wrenchingly horrid the last season was. It wasn't even bad in a sort of passable way, like the season before that was with Ray Stevenson. It was just infuriatingly god-awful in execution.

I am willing to forgive though if this new season is decent.

The Dexter revival/spin-off Dexter: New Blood will receive its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic on Monday November 8th at 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Promo says Monday 9pm but planner says 11.15pm

Edit - oops, old promo on a recording.

Mod: threads merged.

Starts on Sunday, I was reading this season is being done by the shows original showrunner who left after season 4 and didn't like how the season after he left went and tis is his way of giving the fans a proper ending unlike the ending to the original.

Saying that I can see this season ending on some sort of cliffhanger with the hope that it gets renewed.

• Advertisement

More than that, IIRC, supposedly the original plan always was for Dexter to get caught and executed by the end of the show. The studio obviously didn't want to kill their golden goose so on the show went, increasingly at the expense of credibility. Can't recall if that was what caused the original showrunner Clyde Phillips to leave mind you, but can't imagine it it helped either.

A decent enough opening episode with a few contradictions to the original Dexter character for me and I still see my real dislike to last few seasons in parts of it.

However the last 20 minutes or so of the episode were enough for me to say ok it's worth sticking with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually thought the opposite, felt it started really strong but kinda rushed into the same old spiel without laying the groundwork as effectively as it should have.

I get it - they want to hook people back in and firmly establish that Dexter is back.

But as you said, initially while I found myself pleasantly surprised and thought it would be a slower and more grounded burn, the second half started to feel like the campy later seasons of the runs original run.

I enjoyed it, and I will definitely keep watching, but it fell a bit short for me. I'd say a 6/10 would be about right.

Can't fault the cast though. It's so good to see Michael C Hall back as Dexter and Jennifer Carpenter looks great.

You have to admit, Dex has taste in women.

Thats exactly how I felt. I was expecting more slow burn. It started really strong and then... Meh

Deb said: Everyone you love dies.. Doakes, La Guerta... Me..

I found that odd. Why not:

Dad, Rita, Me.

Dex hated Doakes.

I also think:

It is far too early to bring Harrison into it. How plausible is it that an 18 year old-ish with no money could track Dex to Alaska?

I give the first half 8/10, the second half 4/10. Overall 6.5 out of 10.

And they should really have entitled the episode "Surprise Motherfucker!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I dunno, i enjoyed that anyway. Nice setup showing the new life, and for straight to business by end of the episode. Only thing i question is how fake ID, must be fairly good to be dating a cop, surely she'd have done some extensive checks on his name.

I just finished Final Cut yesterday so only have the last book to go.

While watching the first episode I was wondering isn't Harrison only like 13 or 14?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah Ghost Deb was acting weird with no curses! Dexter weirdly seems to be set in a similar town to Resident Alien

Wouldn't mind seeing that crossover. See who would be best at acting human.

• Advertisement
Advertisement