Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter - Season 9 - 2021 - US Pace - Showtime (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Glad its back, like the location and obviously something up with "missing girls"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20 B!gD0g543

I hope this is going to be good and they don't ruin it for me.

I find that so many times when they go back and add on to a series that was already finished that they end up ruining it for so many people. I skipped ahead as to not read the spoilers but I heard in this season (spoiler warning) ............................. Dexter has a son and I'm curious if him and his son are going to be out and about killing people lol. What a good way of bonding right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I know other shows do this, but I really hate fake-outs. Like when Angela pulls over Dexter.

Where both characters seemlingly are only trying to trick the audience, and completley straight-face an entire conversation until the "big reveal".

It's so unnatural, and even weirder that Dexter/Jim even preceeds it with a serious face from the moment he sees the siren.

Otherwise, plenty of the usual annoying wink/nidge moments you'd expect from a Dexter show, that wouldn't be out of place in Smallville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If he faked his death how is he tracked down or am I overlooking it and he is probably just imagining It in his head?

He wouldnt be dating her if he thought it was going to be a problem, probably no more then typing his name into the system they were checking banker guy with.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

assuming they develop the other serial killer story, will Dexter be trying to foil the police so he can get him or seeing stuff that the cops miss and trying to help them without being found out, some good possible story routes anyway

I would guess that will be part of the story this season how he was found by his son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree with previous posters: it started well but then seemed quite rushed in its second half. Also, I think Harrison's appearance happened too soon and they should have built up to it. Looking forward to Clancy Brown's appearance from next week. One downside was that I really got enough of Debs in the old show and I was looking forward to an entire new cast around Dexter, but no, she's back, and will be a regular if the first show is anything to go by :(

I loved how they brought back Dex's inner voice at the end of the show. Great to have the dark passenger back again 7/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harrison's back story over the last 10 years is going to be interesting looks like might have his own dark passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Unfortunately when Dexter is not killing anyone it can become a tad boring like the second episode was.

Ghost-Deb is starting to annoy me.

I just noticed something. Dexter's new name is Jim Lindsay. The guy who created Dexter and wrote the books, is called Jeff Lindsay. Surely not a coincidence. A little nod to the creator perhaps?

as its set in a small town it was unlikely there would be a someone for Dexter to kill in every episode, yiz would be complaining that it wasn't plausible. I thought it was a good episode, the show is clearly slower paced now but thats fine.

Calling it now, Harrison's drawings that the kids were looking at are his "blood slides" and the drug problem he was talking about is killing. I also suspect he killed Hannah and knows full well what Dexter has done. Going from Argentina to Miami when orphaned is very odd. Clearly he went back to search for clues about where Dexter is.

interesting idea, I hope not though, are child serial killers a thing? it would be a bit shark jumpy for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm speculating that he isn't really Harrison at all, just some kid pretending to be him. Possibly Harrison died in care, and this kid took his identity (and is a killer too!).

Ghost-Deb is annoying the **** out of me. I don't like her character and her non-stop shouting and swearing. It drags the show down when she's around. I miss Harry/James Remar :( I'm going to give it one more episode, but it feels like this is not going to amount to much. Clancy Brown is a welcome addition; hopefully he'll up the stakes because it's a bit boring at the moment. Speaking of, I also think it's him watching the girl on the hidden camera. It didn't show his face, but I've seen enough of him over the years to know that that is his profile. Bit of a silly mistake if it turns out to be the case. They should try to disguise him a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm really enjoying it so far the last few rushed series were awful and this is a lot better compared to those , interesting theories above re Harrison he's definitely his son and I'd agree he definitely knows what Daddy's into

also why did they bring back Deb she does my head in , i actually cheered when he killed her , she's the worst thing about the show

Clancy Brown easily the best thing about the episode.

Deb was nice and subdued in the first episode. Very annoying in the second episode. James Remar never opted for jump scares FFS!

Again, it just feels like fake-out and near-misses over and over. It's just hard to find it suspenseful, it just seems lazy.

I was watching old clips from Season 1 & 2 with Doakes. They never really brought in a suitable foil for Dex again, and this new setting doesn't really make that plausbile. Also, back then, Dex's inner-monologue wasn't pure exposition, it actually gave insight to his character, and his concerns about what evidence might be uncovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed Ep2 and 3. Sure, they're not brilliant, but solid entertainment really and so far a lot better than the last few seasons of the original run. I still think Ep1 was a big mistake in rushing through at least 2 episodes worth of natural progression in favor of trying to set everything up straight away. The episodes since are better paced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Enjoyed 3, Harrison is coming along nicely and still no idea if he's leaning good or bad, he has a more interesting story than Dexter this season already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

The "Runaway" scene in Episode 3 was great, there was a real Trinity vibe to it I thought.

Is the cop Logan being set up to be a Doakes type? He really didnt seem to be buying the answers Dexter was giving him.

solid for sure, I liked the scene with the other CSI guy , it is set up like he is going to be a bit of a hick but nails wat happened. First show in a long time where the kid isnt annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Really liking this.

I think they've nailed it. Love hearing Dexter's inner thoughts, and I like what they've done with Deb.

They were so close in the original series, she was always a part of him and their unique bond through Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Caught two episodes, it's barely passable. Flipping barnet is the real horror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Ghost Deb is Dexter's mind and he doesn't curse like her so makes sense

The plot thickens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Should be interesting when Harrison discovers Dexter whole past of murdering tonnes of people

Gotta say, I'm still holding out hope that the real killer is Fred Jr & Garfield.

Well now our surprise guest appearance this week just put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Advertisement

yeah good episode. A bit serendipitous with guest appearance and the conversations that revealed so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved the guest appearance but yeah, that info reveal was so forced :D. Really enjoying this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not sure why you feel that way as Deb was one of the funnier/better characters in earlier seasons

As for those saying she would swear more ... erm, she's been swearing enough, considering it's all coming from his mid - I think she's sworn at least once every scene she's been in [ep5] when you consider Dex rarely ever does .... and she is a figmant of his mind in this series.

It's Harrison I find the weakest link, the actor is just not very good, the only time I was impressed by him a little was during the party where he is out of it, but that was more down to the direction/production, was really well done. In general I think he's a bit sh!te, I also think 'Jim's' cop GF is a sh!te actress along with the really irritating 'influencer' character. Otherwise it's been good

structurally this is a much weaker show, no Masuka or Dokes level characters that when they are on the screen you want to see more of them. Still a good show just not peak Dexter, are there plans for more?

Great episode last night. Loved seeing Angel. However, the episode was not without issue. Most of the scenes involving Dex were rushed. The old Dex would have taken his time with Miles, not rush it so much. Also, he knows Harrison did the stabbing, he knows Harrison took an E tab and nearly OD'ed, surely he would make sure Harrison goes to the therapist, not go off half cocked to murder Miles. Even Deb pointed out it's not like the old Dex.

It's kind of a pity Angela is about to uncover the truth. I think her and Dex work well as a couple.

As good as it was to see him, the Angel ex machina coupled with Harrison's pre OD declaration was one heck of a plot contrivance to put Jim's identity in trouble.

Angel somehow not remembering Harrison's name for those few seconds just so it could be said with some ceremony was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Have loved the series so far but yeah, that scene where he dropped Harrison's name was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I love Dexter but while the season is okay it all seems a bit obvious.

I was pretty sure who the serial killer was early on.

I was pretty sure Harrison was going to do something like he did.

I am pretty sure the serial killer will find out about his son and try to kill Harrison and Dexter will save him.

The scene was terrible name dropping Harrison.

Hoping if they have another season they move to a city and we can see the old Dexter.

Harrison has found his own Harry now.

Dexter Morgan is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched the last 5 episodes over the weekend.

Do you think it would've annoyed the chief if Dexter high fived Harrison when she told him what he did?

• Advertisement

I wonder why they cast a dark haired kid as Harrison? Young Harrison would not grow into anything like the current actor? he looks similar to Zac in season 8 , the teenager killer

Loved the ending. of Season 6.

Angela: I don't need Jim, I need Dexter Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I have a few gripes - such as the contrivance with our returning character in episode 5. Also a lot of the Harrison stuff is falling a bit flat for me - I realise what they are trying to do - Harrison is like Dexter, Dexter is convinced that Harrison needs a different approach to the one he got whereas the approach he got is exactly what Harrison needs, and in the void left by Dexter refusing to do what he should another figure is able to gain a foothold with Harrison.

However, this feels much more like the essence of the Dexter that I remember then anything post Trinity. So I am willing to overlook my gripes and overall my response to this has been positive. It has gone a long way to undoing the utter embarassment I had for the final seasons. The antagonist is also probably the best since Trinity - and I also like the Angela character a lot. It is shaping up to be a very interesting finale - hopefully they are able to stick the landing now rather than blow it.

Yeah the antagonist seemed pretty weak up to this episode, but now he really seems to have a lot of power over Dexter. The police/DA accepting his story seemed a bit contrived but he does seem to be an important person in the community.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Starting to warm up to it and enjoy it, it’s a good dynamic with Kurt, Dexter and Harrison.

Correct me if wrong, but wasn't Kurt one of the 'Others' in Lost?

Aww. For the christmas episode they hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Clancy Brown, who plays Kurt has been in lots of stuff so likely was in Lost. Google says he was the button pusher that came before Desmond.

As for this week's episode and prediction for the final 2

Angela to be killed by Kurt? Or maybe wounded but Dexter/Harrison don't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

Maybe Harrison kills Angela as a way to protect Dexter. Enforces why “the code” is so

Prediction above, not spoiler if you are relatively up to date.

He also captured Sayid when he was in Iraq and manipulated him.

• Advertisement

Nicely set up now for next weeks finale.

Hopefully it will be a series finale and not a season finale.

Advertisement