Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV Freesat issue

Options
  • 29-04-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Q70T QLED tv. I recently got rid of Sky. The TV has a twin Satellite tuner and I am able to pick up the UK freesat channels.

The issue I am having is the EPG is terrible. The first 20 channels are different versions of Channel 4, E4 and More 4. Next I have every BBC one regional channel listed.

I am guessing it is like this because the TV is set-up to Ireland instead of the UK. Is there a way of getting the channels in the standard freesat order without manually modifying and deleting channels?
    Is there alternative EPG's that can be downloaded. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I am guessing it is like this because the TV is set-up to Ireland instead of the UK.
    That's exactly the issue. Reset it back to defaults and set up as UK. You'll need to reorganise the Saorview channels but that's much less a headache than the satellite channels.

Only other caveat is that I'm not sure how that will affect any smart features, RTE apps may be unavailable for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Glaceon wrote: »
    That's exactly the issue. Reset it back to defaults and set up as UK. You'll need to reorganise the Saorview channels but that's much less a headache than the satellite channels.

Only other caveat is that I'm not sure how that will affect any smart features, RTE apps may be unavailable for example.

I have an older Samsung TV

There are at least 3 views:
    Terrestrial,
    Freesat,
    Satellite FTA

You can't combine all into 1 list but it can be handy to have e.g. Channel 4 HD on FTA and the SD version on Freesat

You'll need a UK postcode depending which accent you want your BBC news read in.

RTE player still works, BBC player doesn't (that depends on your IP address I.e.where you get your Internet from)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

Alas, this is a well known issue, seems to be worst on samsung. While you can get a sorted Satellite epg (Freesat) by setting the TVs location to UK, you can't mix EPGs, and samsung Qled, or the 2018 one I have, takes 11 button presses to change from Sat to Saorview. Its torture. So much so I replaced my other ageing plasma with a Sony. Though not a Qled, picture us still superb, and the Android OS is super, with easily accessed mixed favourite lists. Have a read here, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131856

One bit of good samsung TV news is the introduction of Samsung TV+, a whole set of free streamed TV channels. Best bit is the access, they literally just appeared on the end of my terrestrial EPG, after the radio channels. Full epg on the guide.

554125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Glaceon wrote: »

Apps will not be affected. Your IP address is ROI. Setting UK as country is for Live TV (Terrestrial and Satellite)

Apps will not be affected. Your IP address is ROI. Setting UK as country is for Live TV (Terrestrial and Satellite)

Samsung pull RTEplayer when in UK, they pull BBC iplayer when in ROI. Oddly, when I reverted to ROI as the terrestrial was a mess, and wouldn't pass the SWMBO test, Freesat disappeared, but later returned. So I have Saorview on Terrestrial, unsorted Sat, and Freesat, each as a tuner choice.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Samsung pull RTEplayer when in UK, they pull BBC iplayer when in ROI. Oddly, when I reverted to ROI as the terrestrial was a mess, and wouldn't pass the SWMBO test, Freesat disappeared, but later returned. So I have Saorview on Terrestrial, unsorted Sat, and Freesat, each as a tuner choice.

To be pedantic
    BBC iplayer won't work in Ireland (26 counties) as it is geo locked based on ip address
    So Samsung are doing you a favour by not showing it
    The terrestrial is easy enough to rearrange the dozen or so channels we get.
    All4 works fine.

Its not possible to install iplayer on a Samsung in non UK location, but it is on my Sony Android TV, Sony even provide the APK installer app preloaded to install apps which don't show in the playstore because of where you are. Once you get all that done, a simple static DNS server address change to keep your ip private will allow you to use iplayer.
    The Real problem I had with terrestrial in UK location was the numbering, I couldn't get it to start at 1, crucial for a swift return to RTE1 by a single button press.

Its not possible to install iplayer on a Samsung in non UK location, but it is on my Sony Android TV, Sony even provide the APK installer app preloaded to install apps which don't show in the playstore because of where you are. Once you get all that done, a simple static DNS server address change to keep your ip private will allow you to use iplayer.
    The Real problem I had with terrestrial in UK location was the numbering, I couldn't get it to start at 1, crucial for a swift return to RTE1 by a single button press.

I'm in Leinster with a Samsung TV set up as UK
    I have RTE 1 on 1,and 14 other local channels

VPN seems like a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Which model do you have? I have a 43XH8196 and I don't have anything like that. It has YouView which seems to stimey any attempt to install any of the catch-up apps separately, and YouView won't setup without tuning in UK terrestrial stations.

athlone573 wrote: »
    I'm in Leinster with a Samsung TV set up as UK
    I have RTE 1 on 1,and 14 other local channels

VPN seems like a lot of work.

It's odd. When I got the telly, I put it in UK for Freesat EPG. Saorview was all in the 800s, and I was struggling to reorder it to single digit channel numbers. By then, swmbo took control, demanded that I restore it to RTE1 on 1 on switch on, so I hastily reset to ROI, and tuned in Saorview. Which left me with unsorted satellite and no seven day EPG. Then a strange thing happened, Freesat magically reappeared on the Channel List menu, as did the Genre choices, so left it alone, and I never had to get to grips with the terrestrial sorting.
    No need for a VPN to see iplayer, a static DNS server change works, none of the complexities of VPN, no need to mess with your router, just change the setting on your TV to Static, leave the TV local IP and gateway as they were, and substitute the DNS server addresses to the ones from supplied by the likes of unlocator.com. all your other devices will use the router dynamic dns, so no messing up speed or latency. You can get a free trial from them.

• Advertisement

That's actually interesting (before somebody decides to tidy up this thread).

Which model is your Samsung that pulled RTE Player?

My 2016 Samsung Freesat TV has RTE Player since day 1 with UK as country (image attached). My Dad's 2014 Samsung Freesat TV had the old RTE Player until it was no longer supported and new player can't be added. And my brother-in-law has a 2017 Samsung Freesat with RTE Player since day 1 too in UK mode

It's the same for LG Freesat TVs too. I've RTE Player and TG4 Player on my 32LM6300PLA TV in UK mode

Which model is your Samsung that pulled RTE Player?

My 2016 Samsung Freesat TV has RTE Player since day 1 with UK as country (image attached). My Dad's 2014 Samsung Freesat TV had the old RTE Player until it was no longer supported and new player can't be added. And my brother-in-law has a 2017 Samsung Freesat with RTE Player since day 1 too in UK mode

It's the same for LG Freesat TVs too. I've RTE Player and TG4 Player on my 32LM6300PLA TV in UK mode

My 2014/15 Samsung has TG4 player and All4.
    I'm sure it had RTE player at one stage.

After tinkering I managed to get BBC iplayer on a Humax 1100 but it is very stuttery. Its interesting to see what's on BBC but not enough to entice me to sign up long term.

The Samsung has pretty much always had UK as country and it makes very little difference to how it works.

I haven't switched back to UK since I got the set December 2017. I went UK setup out of the box, got Freesat, Iplayer in the apps, no RTE player. Saorview as expected was a mess on Terrestrial. I switched back to Ireland location to keep a certain person happy on the day, but next time I tinkered, Freesat had reappeared. After that I never touched it again.
    There have been serious changes to Rte player and others over the years as these apps went from simple archives to effectively streamed channels, monetisable by their owners but also subject to geographic market programme licencing. Hence all the simple implementations on set top boxes and early tvs stopped working, and RTE player was no longer available abroad except as a tight subscription service. Who knows, once they can update the apps, they can present them in any location provided they don't breach licence. I'd imagine there's a market for RTE player in the UK, but it would be very different, very few programs would be licenced to show there except their own output. Players appear and dissappear on TVs. On Sony android for example, there is no direct Android for TV app for All4, its part of a suite of apps called YouView, which requires some tie in with tuned in terrestrial Freeview, which of course is not available except in border areas or if you still have a high mast pointing north. Yet all4 app is freely available on my samsung or Apple TV box.If RTE player is now on the TV in UK region that's great, and I'd expect it to work normally once it determines you're not actually in the UK by virtue of your ip address. I wonder why iplayer is removed from the app list, I guess its a bbc license thing. I don't think they have an expat subscription version of iplayer, but RTE launched an international sub version back in 2015 I think. I recall family living abroad complaining that the basic player on the Internet no longer worked. I'd be curious to see how rte player behaves in the UK, if it offers a sub and limited program content that's fine, but I can see how TV makers would not want a completely disabled app to appear in their app menu. And would not load it out of region, as is the case with iplayer.

If there was any simple box/dongle etc that had all the players (YouTube, all 4,rte player, i player) it might be interesting. For when we visit our holiday home in Lagan Valley of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I haven't switched back to UK since I got the set December 2017. I went UK setup out of the box, got Freesat, Iplayer in the apps, no RTE player. Saorview as expected was a mess on Terrestrial. I switched back to Ireland location to keep a certain person happy on the day, but next time I tinkered, Freesat had reappeared. After that I never touched it again.
    There have been serious changes to Rte player and others over the years as these apps went from simple archives to effectively streamed channels, monetisable by their owners but also subject to geographic market programme licencing. Hence all the simple implementations on set top boxes and early tvs stopped working, and RTE player was no longer available abroad except as a tight subscription service. Who knows, once they can update the apps, they can present them in any location provided they don't breach licence. I'd imagine there's a market for RTE player in the UK, but it would be very different, very few programs would be licenced to show there except their own output. Players appear and dissappear on TVs. On Sony android for example, there is no direct Android for TV app for All4, its part of a suite of apps called YouView, which requires some tie in with tuned in terrestrial Freeview, which of course is not available except in border areas or if you still have a high mast pointing north. Yet all4 app is freely available on my samsung or Apple TV box.If RTE player is now on the TV in UK region that's great, and I'd expect it to work normally once it determines you're not actually in the UK by virtue of your ip address. I wonder why iplayer is removed from the app list, I guess its a bbc license thing. I don't think they have an expat subscription version of iplayer, but RTE launched an international sub version back in 2015 I think. I recall family living abroad complaining that the basic player on the Internet no longer worked. I'd be curious to see how rte player behaves in the UK, if it offers a sub and limited program content that's fine, but I can see how TV makers would not want a completely disabled app to appear in their app menu. And would not load it out of region, as is the case with iplayer.

I brought a Now tv stick to Italy and Austria in 2019, mainly for Netflix, YouTube and tune in radio and both RTE and VM players worked in both countries, with a restricted catalogue, mainly home produced. I am puzzled how some appear to get BBC iplayer in RoI, anytime I have tried it I am asked to register my license number.

decor58 wrote: »
    I brought a Now tv stick to Italy and Austria in 2019, mainly for Netflix, YouTube and tune in radio and both RTE and VM players worked in both countries, with a restricted catalogue, mainly home produced. I am puzzled how some appear to get BBC iplayer in RoI, anytime I have tried it I am asked to register my license number.

Odd, I think I just ticked a box asking me if I had license.

Odd, I think I just ticked a box asking me if I had license.

So nowTV is the way to go? And a UK licence for when you need it?

So nowTV is the way to go? And a UK licence for when you need it?

Now tv is a Sky sub service isn't it? Or is it just pay per View. Sounds an expensive way to get iplayer app, if it has it, and still might not work outside UK. I'm not an expert on the current TV sticks and what apps they have, but you'll still need to get an alternative DNS address on the device for Iplayer and All4 to keep your location private. Like I said, when I originally registered. I didn't need an actual UK TV licence, when asked, I just said yes to the dress.

It is a sky service yes, it's called "now" now

The stick might work without a sub for rte player as I am not buying a whole new TV just to watch daniel and majella.

• Advertisement

It is a sky service yes, it's called "now" now

The stick might work without a sub for rte player as I am not buying a whole new TV just to watch daniel and majella.
    D&M Box Set. The perfect gift. Players are a great source of missed opportunities, starting to enjoy bingeing. Fleabag was a treat on iPlayer, just started series 4 of Fargo on All4 (ads a bit invasive though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I have a Samsung Q90R, fantastic piece of kit, but it has one annoying problem, the All4 preloaded app on it only shows everything in SD not HD. As its preloaded, I can't delete it and reload, anyone any ideas , is this the same on all Samsung, or have I a glitch on an otherwise top TV?

galtee boy wrote: »
    I have a Samsung Q90R, fantastic piece of kit, but it has one annoying problem, the All4 preloaded app on it only shows everything in SD not HD. As its preloaded, I can't delete it and reload, anyone any ideas , is this the same on all Samsung, or have I a glitch on an otherwise top TV?

All 4 on Samsung TVs is SD only I'm afraid. You could Chromecast it from your phone if that App is HD quality

All 4 on Samsung TVs is SD only I'm afraid. You could Chromecast it from your phone if that App is HD quality

I am perfectly happy with repeats of 8 out of 10 cats in SD. Are any players available in HD (Netflix and prime don't count)?

I am perfectly happy with repeats of 8 out of 10 cats in SD. Are any players available in HD (Netflix and prime don't count)?

Iplayer quality varies, up to 4k for the FA cup recently, with a setting to use highest quality to HD depending on your bandwidth.
    ALL4/CH4 don't stream in HD. The end.
    The Apple TV Box I have has a lot of free HD stuff, but I registered for free for a year, so I don't know what the real cost is (Box was a 3 year old unused unopened purchase dumped by a manager In my former job) It was still valid for the free promo as it was never installed or switched on. Nice one.

BT on demand rumoured to have some catch up in HD, but it's a UK geolocked service since Borisit. Also a rumour that All4 via the AppleTV box has some HD, which I think is wishful thinking, unless its live not catchup. All4/Ch4 player don't do HD.

Are my eyes deceiving me ? I tried All4 last night for the first time in ages on the Samsung TV and there seems to have been a big improvement in picture quality, while not 1080p, it certainly looks like it's close to 720p, prior to this, it used to look like the appalling Saorview standard definition quality. The HD symbol isn't listed on the programme info, but there is definitely a big improvement on picture quality, strangely, the adverts are the Irish ones and they are in crappy SD, but when the programme starts, the picture quality changes.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Are my eyes deceiving me ? I tried All4 last night for the first time in ages on the Samsung TV and there seems to have been a big improvement in picture quality, while not 1080p, it certainly looks like it's close to 720p, prior to this, it used to look like the appalling Saorview standard definition quality. The HD symbol isn't listed on the programme info, but there is definitely a big improvement on picture quality, strangely, the adverts are the Irish ones and they are in crappy SD, but when the programme starts, the picture quality changes.

What I don't understand is that I have to anonymise my DNS setting to watch All4, otherwise I get the "This Content Not Available in Your Region" message, or words to that effect. Are people watching All4 straight out of the tin? Even my older Samsung required this tweak, though the app was available with the set in region Ireland (unlike iplayer whose app disappears off the Samsung). As a result of DNS switch, I get all the diverse UK ads, for Gambling, Betting, Bingo, Slots, Casinos, Larger and payday loans, usually with the occasional patriotic yob like character saying things like " OK Brih'an". I wish I got the Kerrygold ads instead.

What I don't understand is that I have to anonymise my DNS setting to watch All4, otherwise I get the "This Content Not Available in Your Region" message, or words to that effect. Are people watching All4 straight out of the tin? Even my older Samsung required this tweak, though the app was available with the set in region Ireland (unlike iplayer whose app disappears off the Samsung). As a result of DNS switch, I get all the diverse UK ads, for Gambling, Betting, Bingo, Slots, Casinos, Larger and payday loans, usually with the occasional patriotic yob like character saying things like " OK Brih'an". I wish I got the Kerrygold ads instead.

I just use the All4 app straight out of the tin as you put it, ie just using the app which came preloaded on the TV. No fiddling with DNS settings, not that I'd know how anyway!! Whatever has happened lately, I'm very happy with the All4 picture quality now, as I said, it's rattling 720p I reckon now on my Samsung (2019 model ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement