Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

oceanman wrote: »
    if your income increases you rent increases also..

Of course it does...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Yes, but it will never be close to market rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Jane98 wrote: »
    thats the reason you are there, because you qualify for social housing, if you didnt you would be in the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

thats the reason you are there, because you qualify for social housing, if you didnt you would be in the rental market.

Yes, but people's circumstances change. If people could afford to rent from the private sector at that point should they not pay market rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

To a max of 200 a week.

That's the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Cal4567 wrote: »
    When I first went to the UK in the 1970s to work I lived in council estates in both Birmingham and London which seemed to be full of the Irish.

To pick up on a few points here.

Another poster suggested that Irish people were availing of social housing in the UK on an industrial scale. Your personal experience, albeit anecdotal, appears to corroborate that. If this is such a self-evident fact, can you point to UK.gov stats confirming the number of Irish who availed of social housing and how they rank relative to the native British and other immigrants groups?

The one hard metric that’s been presented in this thread is that 54.2% of people in social housing in Ireland are not in employment. Would you say that the majority of Irish who availed of social housing in the UK were not economically active?

Finally, do you feel that we should be encouraging low skilled inward migration to Ireland, such that these folks do not have the skills to be economically viable and end up as a burden on the state? Is that a desirable outcome for this country?

Jane98 wrote: »

Exactly.

Someone could start off on a low paid job and get a social house.

Then they could work there way up to be on a 100k a year and would still only have to pay max of 200 euro a week and stay in the social house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Exactly.

Someone could start off on a low paid job and get a social house.

Then they could work there way up to be on a 100k a year and would still only have to pay max of 200 euro a week and stay in the social house.
    if you were on 100k a week would you want to stay in a social house? not many would id wager..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Murph_D wrote: »
    This is a bit of a myth, as is the notion that Ireland is particularly attractive to asylum seekers and other immigrants.

Some clarification here on the 'first country' myth. You're thinking of the 'Dublin Regulations', but the issue is not as straightforward as you suggest.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/truth-about-refugees

More bull****-busting info here: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Asylum_statistics#Main_countries_of_destination:_Germany.2C_Spain_and_France

So why are so many Nigerians and other non EU citizens coming there and not staying in the first country they landed in if Ireland isn't an attractive country to them as you say?

Why did they come here in the late 90s and early 00s when there was no celtic tiger and jobs were still hard to find?

Easy citizenship was the answer 20 years ago and free houses and money is the answer these days now that O Gormans grand plan has been made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What is the cut off point for social housing regarding the amount you earn?
    As in how much can I earn but still qualify for the housing list?
    Is it different in certain counties or all the same.
    Let's say for Dublin for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

tom1ie wrote: »
    What is the cut off point for social housing regarding the amount you earn?
    As in how much can I earn but still qualify for the housing list?
    Is it different in certain counties or all the same.
    Let's say for Dublin for example.

Each local authority sets its own income limits as far as I am aware.

These are Dublin City Council's: linky

IIRC all the Dublin authority's are the same.

if you were on 100k a week would you want to stay in a social house? not many would id wager..

Why not?

Sure some of the social houses been given out nowadays are 700,000 houses and apartments in nice areas

I definitely would.

Why not?

Sure some of the social houses been given out nowadays are 700,000 houses and apartments in nice areas

I definitely would.

You should stop working and go on the dole, sign onto housing list and then you're happy out yeah?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You should stop working and go on the dole, sign onto housing list and then you're happy out yeah?

No thanks.

I have pride, dignity and respect.

And I want to show my kids if you want something in life work for it and don't rely on others to hand it to you.

I ask what can I do for my country, not what can it do for me.

Unfortunately there is a lot of selfish people in this country who take and give nothing back.

No thanks.

And I want to show my kids if you want something in life work for it and don't rely on others to hand it to you.

Unfortunately there is a lot of selfish people in this country who take and give nothing back.

Right so, you don't want a social house?
    So why care what someone else has?
    Get your own house and done be worrying about what others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

As a taxpayer and member of society, he/she has every right to question how public funds are spent and who benefits.

As a taxpayer and member of society, he/she has every right to question how public funds are spent and who benefits.

That's not what he is complaining about.
    People getting houses 'for nothing' is what he is complaining about.
    If he is jealous, then he should go for a social house himself, if he doesn't want one, no need to worry about what other people get.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/it-s-a-disgrace-anger-in-thurles-as-traveller-homes-dispute-goes-to-court-1.3949521

this is was a real sh1t show
    the cost of the housing, the fact one family member would not leave the old encampment until he also got a lovely forever home
    the legal fees on the overstayer alone was 60K i am reliably informed.

as far as i am concerned social housing in this country is a joke because of the councils.
    the councils are so useless its not even funny.
    most of the key council workers who decide how social housing is run in this country are beyond useless. most of them are hired through connections are way out of their depth.

the councils should be banned from buying housing and from scabbing off private developers.
    the councils should forced to build their own estates which everyone regardless of means should be allowed to apply for.
    and when built and allotted the councils should ensure as landlords they do their ****ing job and police the estates for anti social behavior.
    and evict the bad eggs.
    but the councils dont want to do that because its hard work and public sector employees dont like hard work.

Because tax payers are paying for it.
    As a tax payer I would prefer to see the tax I have contributed towards spent wisely.

Because tax payers are paying for it.
    As a tax payer I would prefer to see the tax I have contributed towards spent wisely.

What about everything else your (& mine) taxpayers money go on?
    Do you think it's spent wisely? Do you have issues anywhere else?
    Do you think that the state should look after people who cannot look after themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's not what he is complaining about.
    People getting houses 'for nothing' is what he is complaining about.
    If he is jealous, then he should go for a social house himself, if he doesn't want one, no need to worry about what other people get.

I care about the tax I pay, the very high taxes I pay being used apallingly, giving very poor value (even from a pure social housing perspective)

I care about the tax I pay, the very high taxes I pay being used apallingly, giving very poor value (even from a pure social housing perspective)

There is very bad value for our taxes, I agree 100%, I do think that the country I live in should look after those people who cannot look after themselves. Do you believe that?

What about everything else your (& mine) taxpayers money go on?
    Do you think it's spent wisely? Do you have issues anywhere else?
    Do you think that the state should look after people who cannot look after themselves?

Of course I have issues with where it's spent when it's not spent wisely.
    The state should be there as a safety net for people who can't look after themselves, not as an incentive not to work or pay their way.

You sound like you have a vested interest in the social welfare industry tbh.

Of course I have issues with where it's spent when it's not spent wisely.
    The state should be there as a safety net for people who can't look after themselves, not as an incentive not to work or pay their way.

There are obviously issues with our social protection system.
    I think everyone should be encouraged to work, I think working should be what everyone needs to aspire to.
    There will always be people who cannot work, for whatever reasons. The state should look after these people.

You sound like you have a vested interest in the social welfare industry tbh.

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This really resonates with me.

It’s about doing what you can, in your own small way, to make this country a better place. As you say, it’s also about setting the right example for your children. Show them the value of hard work and help to nurture decent, productive human beings who will contribute positively in the future.

Simple concepts like respect and love of family and country are lost on some apparently.

There are obviously issues with our social protection system.
    I think everyone should be encouraged to work, I think working should be what everyone needs to aspire to.
    There will always be people who cannot work, for whatever reasons. The state should look after these people.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.
    However there are plenty of people receiving social welfare where there is no need for it, probably not through a fault of the recipient by the way.
    HAP for example has introduced an artificially high floor for rent, at a time when REITS are coming in and buying up stock.
    The REITS are loving HAP as it keeps the rental levels up.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.
    However there are plenty of people receiving social welfare where there is no need for it, probably not through a fault of the recipient by the way.
    HAP for example has introduced an artificially high floor for rent, at a time when REITS are coming in and buying up stock.
    The REITS are loving HAP as it keeps the rental levels up.

Yep. I agree.

Yep. I agree.

But what to do about it? Any politicians who even dare broch this subject are slammed by the media and other vested interest parties such as the aforementioned REITS or the likes of PBP SF etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

There is very bad value for our taxes, I agree 100%, I do think that the country I live in should look after those people who cannot look after themselves. Do you believe that?

You can believe that they should be looked after and not believe that they should be put up in €750k apartments on Howth Road or in Rathgar; you do not have to believe that county councils are bidding against first time buyers for property; you can question whether those with little interest in work should be handed housing in the city centre forcing workers to commute for over an hour each way to pay the tax that pays for the councils; you don’t have to believe that councils signing 25 year leases with property funds is a good use of our taxes

Advertisement