Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i actually strongly disagree with this, i do believe most of our politicians are decent humans, and are actually extremely concerned about our housing issues, but this problem is far more serious than this, they actually believe their ideologies work, and are determined to show so, without accepting the reality, they simply dont!

So now they are concerned after letting Vulture funds do the exact same as what the Banks and developers did to cause the big crash that cost nearly 100 Billion around 2008.
    Now that's only 13 years ago and nearly back in the same place with property.
    Its not like they didn't know. They may be decent people but not up to scratch on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

do you really think this is going to work, do you really think people, who have probably struggled in the early stages of our educational and training systems, and probably left at an early age, will all of a sudden have an epiphany, return to it, or maybe go straight to work? what kind of work would await them, what employer would employ them? i suspect low waged jobs are probably all theyd get, if they were lucky, can you truly house yourself, and provide all of your needs under such employment conditions?

Would get them thinking along the lines of being self sufficent and some of them might stay in school/do apprenticeships etc to get a leg up and break the cycle of intergenerational hand out for everything mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote: »
    Decent humans I'm sure, but caring about housing I don't think so.

I actually disagree with some/most people here. I don't think we have a housing crisis. There are plenty of available houses. It's just that certain cohorts of people who dont work want free houses/subsidized houses in the city center - which a lot of workers cannot afford.

this is what you d call, 'astonishing ignorance', when nearly every respected commentator has been writing about this for years, some even realised it was in the post during the previous crash
    So now they are concerned after letting Vulture funds do the exact same as what the Banks and developers did to cause the big crash that cost nearly 100 Billion around 2008.
    Its not like they didn't know. They may be decent people but not up to scratch on this one...

yes, we have defaulted to a primarily fire sector(finance, insurance, and real estate) lead economy, which surprise surprise, is yielding the same results, as the rest of the planet has and is experiencing

Mimon wrote: »
    Would get them thinking along the lines of being self sufficent and some of them might stay in school/do apprenticeships etc to get a leg up and break the cycle of intergenerational hand out for everything mentality.

would it really, or are we just talking sh1te on the internets, do you really think people in such situations would just do this?

I was talking to a tradesman last week and he told me that last year there were just 11 apprentice brick/block-layers in the whole of Ireland.

My own personal opinion is people should start doing apprenticeships at 15/16. I am aware it is very young but it is hard work and i think the earlier people start the better they develop.
    I think it be very difficult to start engaging in physical work for the first time after leaving cert 18/19... Just personal view and may be totally wrong...

• Advertisement

What's the issue with so called vulture funds buying properties that someone has defaulted on? The house I bought was off a "vulture fund" that repossessed the house that someone bought as an investment house and stopped paying the mortgage on it.

A house was back on the market and now a family are living in it instead of sitting idle.

would it really, or are we just talking sh1te on the internets, do you really think people in such situations would just do this?

Speak for yourself :D

What's the issue with so called vulture funds buying properties that someone has defaulted on? The house I bought was off a "vulture fund" that repossessed the house that someone bought as an investment house and stopped paying the mortgage on it.

A house was back on the market and now a family are living in it instead of sitting idle.

its called monopolisation of your markets, a major failure of such an approach to running an economy, it leads to all sorts of complex outcomes, including price inflation

I was talking to a tradesman last week and he told me that last year there were just 11 apprentice brick/block-layers in the whole of Ireland...

Need to stop making excuses, no shortage of opportunity in this country for anyone with a minimum level of get up and go.

Need to stop making excuses, no shortage of opportunity in this country for anyone with a minimum level of get up and go.

life isnt that straightforward, particularly if you have been struggling with complex social and psychological issues

• Advertisement

this is what you d call, 'astonishing ignorance', when nearly every respected commentator has been writing about this for years, some even realised it was in the post during the previous crash

yes, we have defaulted to a primarily fire sector(finance, insurance, and real estate) lead economy, which surprise surprise, is yielding the same results, as the rest of the planet has and is experiencing

Yes Corporate Ireland... I wonder is there housing shortage in NI.
    I do know from looking which was a while ago now that much better value...

life isnt that straightforward, particularly if you have been struggling with complex social and psychological issues

I know that's why incentivising people to work instills dignity and a far bigger felling of self worth than the situation where someone can opt out and be better off through free housing and handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

10,917 Houses for Sale in Ireland

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/ireland/houses

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have both of those as you know from prior interactions. I'm medicated and working away without issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

so potentially making people homeless, resolves issues by......

They will only become homeless if they act the bollox

Just like I will only go to jail if I break the law. You know what I do? I don't break the law

Stop making excuses for scrotes. They would walk on your head if the mood took them.

I have no personal view on this one as it just came up in conversation was about getting work done...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I wonder if those Bosnians are Europeans or from another kind of people common in the Balkans and originally from India. And why people get free house without contributing nothing to the country the Polish at least made up the vast majority of construction workers during the boom.

Yes Corporate Ireland... I wonder is there housing shortage in NI.
    I do know from looking which was a while ago now that much better value...

its actually corporate world, and its hell of a lot more complicated than just large corporations
    I know that's why incentivising people to work instills dignity and a far bigger felling of self worth than the situation where someone can opt out and be better off through free housing and handouts.

yes, we need to create the ability to give all, these opportunities, but we are failing, and failing very badly at doing so, this is clearly obvious now, and again, theres no such thing as free houses, the term should in fact be, 'heavily subsidised', as most, if not all citizens pay some form of taxation
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I have both of those as you know from prior interactions. I'm medicated and working away without issue.

as do i, but be aware, both of us have been very lucky in our outcomes, if we chose the wrong parents or dates of birth, our lives could now be far far different

EddieN75 wrote: »
    They will only become homeless if they act the bollox

Just like I will only go to jail if I break the law. You know what I do? I don't break the law

Stop making excuses for scrotes. They would walk on your head if the mood took them.

so what if they act the bollcoks, what happens then, what does acting the bollcoks actually mean?

Das Reich wrote: »
    I wonder if those Bosnians are Europeans or from another kind of people common in the Balkans and originally from India. And why people get free house without contributing nothing to the country the Polish at least made up the vast majority of construction workers during the boom.

Social houses are for people who cannot house themselves.
    If people can contribute they can take care of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

bubblypop wrote: »

many people in social houses, are far better off than low paid workers , renting privately...

The amount of dereliction in Dublin city centre, is still astounding, these over the shop buildings, should be refurbished...

They could allow apartments to be built in back gardens, this has been discussed and proposed before...

There is obviously a huge labour shortage,take several greenfield sites in dublin around good transport and build a large commercial kitchens and bathroom / shower facilities in a large single floor building. Then workers can locate there, using campers, mobile homes etc, things already available, easily moveable, easily sellable...

arbitary height limits in dublin are farcical, there is a 22 floor tower, just given permission in carrickmines, while johnny ronan couldn't get more than 9 floors facing the liffey at a very wide point!

its actually corporate world, and its hell of a lot more complicated than just large corporations

I know a little bit about this topic...

Social housing should be for people who cannot work say due to illness or disability or people who work but cannot afford housing.

Anyone who is long term unemployed should be at the back of the queue. This would be a great incentive to look for a job.

Social housing should be for people who cannot work say due to illness or disability or people who work but cannot afford housing.

Anyone who is long term unemployed should be at the back of the queue. This would be a great incentive to look for a job.

....jesus thank god half are you arent connected to deciding policies, its funny, because under normal conditions, tax payers generally foot the bill for such outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Reducing regulation e.g. required BER - might help reduce the cost of housing - but likely our climate change initiative will prevent that. Its almost like everything that happens is interconnected...

A major cause of of the issue.

The twin obligations on local authorities to both house everyone and to enforce unrealistic building standards are in conflict, and in trying to meet them both we are creating perverse incentives not to work.

Social housing should be built in cheap locations, to lower standards.

Nermal wrote: »
    A major cause of of the issue.

The twin obligations on local authorities to both house everyone and to enforce unrealistic building standards are in conflict, and in trying to meet them both we are creating perverse incentives not to work.

Social housing should be built in cheap locations, to lower standards.

please define these measures? in the middle of a flood plain maybe, next to a halting site, unpleasant areas such as next to a landfill, other next to other disruptive industries maybe? what types of lower standards, what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah there's a big difference between being debilitated to the point that you can't provide for yourself, and choosing to have the state look after you. The later applies to the vast majority while the former applies to a minority.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Yeah there's a big difference between being debilitated to the point that you can't provide for yourself, and choosing to have the state look after you. The later applies to the vast majority while the former applies to a minority.

...and who should chose that this is the case, and what is their criteria to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree, but giving people a clear path forward at a younger age might help. It's an interesting post by the poster above.

Maybe the LC is given too much weight now, and getting people into trades etc might give people a better way forward, younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No they aren't, this is completely wrong. It's what social housing now seems to be.

It should be for those working lower paid jobs, and carers, those with disabilities etc.

Advertisement