Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

Some pay rent.

A lot don't.

Some pay their mortgage
    Some don't
    I don't get your point?

Just sounds like you're jealous for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

bubblypop wrote: »
    Some pay their mortgage
    Some don't
    I don't get your point?

Just pointing out some tenants pay rent and a lot don't and stick up the fingers to tax payers who have payed for their subsidised house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Some pay their mortgage
    Some don't
    I don't get your point?

It really does.
    Someone told me indignantly that an SNA got one of the apartments on the Howth Road. To which I replied, shows how poor their pay is that they are in need of social housing. You'd swear we're not all taxpayers, that we don't all pay VAT, PRSI, income tax, motor tax, USC etc.........

Just pointing out some tenants pay rent and a lot don't and stick up the fingers to tax payers who have payed for their subsidised house.
    You do know everyone in Ireland is a taxpayer? Or do you only count income tax in whatever world you live in?

I got subsidised housing via mortgage tax relief for years.

lazygal wrote: »
    It really does.
    Someone told me indignantly that an SNA got one of the apartments on the Howth Road. To which I replied, shows how poor their pay is that they are in need of social housing. You'd swear we're not all taxpayers, that we don't all pay VAT, PRSI, income tax, motor tax, USC etc.........

But we're not all tax payers like you just listed.

I think that's well known.

• Advertisement

But were not all tax payers like you just listed.

Who in Ireland pays no VAT on anything they buy?

You do know everyone in Ireland is a taxpayer? Or do you only count income tax in whatever world you live in?

Congratulations.

I've no problem with working people getting a hand if needed.

It's the other massive cohort I have issue with.

That's not what you said.

This is what you said.

"You'd swear we're not all taxpayers, that we don't all pay VAT, PRSI, income tax, motor tax, USC etc........."

That's not what you said.
    I listed VAT in what I said 'taxpayers' pay.

You have some weird definition of 'taxpayer' that you have decided excludes anyone who has social housing. Which is blatantly incorrect. There are cars parked outside the apartments on the Howth Road, that means motor tax has been paid. People in employment living there are paying income tax, USC, PRSI, pension levies in the public service and so on. And VAT like everyone else who buys anything beyond non taxable food and clothes.

You have some weird definition of 'taxpayer' that you have decided excludes anyone who has social housing. Which is blatantly incorrect. There are cars parked outside the apartments on the Howth Road, that means motor tax has been paid. People in employment living there are paying income tax, USC, PRSI, pension levies in the public service and so on. And VAT like everyone else who buys anything beyond non taxable food and clothes.

Can you quote where I said it excludes anyone living in social housing?

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »
    Incredibly stupid statement. I dont think anybody inherited a house there in the last 30 years. Because the area is so nice homes dont come onto the market very often, the last one been five years ago. (which is why its hard to put a value on the area).
    Even if a house was a lower price years ago ,they were also lower everywhere else at the same time.

Taxes ?? most of us pay taxes. Some pay a lot more then others. I dont think you realise that if a parent left a house to a child worth a million. That child will have to pay a tax in excess of €200,000 for the privilege.

We looked at about 10 houses there over the past five years, and ended up buying close by so I know the area well. There are semi ds, some terraces, some large detached houses, some in need of total gutting, some new builds-its a very mixed bag of housing stock.

My parents' home not far from there is worth about €1.2 million going on the most recent sale. Any of my siblings or I would be happy to acquire it for €200K.
    People don't get to live in an area just because they grew up there, nor should the state exclude people from living somewhere because they didn't.

Here's a list of some of what's been sold there in the past 5 years.
    https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2016%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2017%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*howth%20road*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2016&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=howth%20road

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2017%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2018%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*howth%20road*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2017&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=howth%20road

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2018%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2019%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*howth%20road*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2018&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=howth%20road

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2019%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2020%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*howth%20road*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2019&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=howth%20road

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2020%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2021%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*howth%20road*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2020&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=howth%20road

20/20 wrote: »
    Incredibly stupid statement. I dont think anybody inherited a house there in the last 30 years. Because the area is so nice homes dont come onto the market very often, the last one been five years ago. (which is why its hard to put a value on the area).
    Even if a house was a lower price years ago ,they were also lower everywhere else at the same time.

Taxes ?? most of us pay taxes. Some pay a lot more then others. I dont think you realise that if a parent left a house to a child worth a million. That child will have to pay a tax in excess of €200,000 for the privilege.
    You seem to imply here that 'taxpayers' doesn't include some tenants in receipt of social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pedantry. People who have never worked and only pay VAT on products or services using money they receive gratis from the state are not most people's idea of a taxpayer.

Pedantry. People who have never worked and only pay VAT on products or services using money they receive gratis from the state are not most people's idea of a taxpayer.

Why not?

Why not?

Person A earns €40k and pays PRSI, USC and PAYE of approx €6k, they also pay €2k approx on VAT etc.

Person B earns fnck all and gets €200+/week along with essentially free accommodation (they pay €20/week for this) from the state ............ they also pay €2k approx on VAT etc.

You don't see the difference?

One is a contributor and one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mary Loo honestly how anyone stands her I will never know. She does nothing but moan moan moan. How about she for wants comes up with an idea and proposes it to the government in power instead of just moaning all the time?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,994 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you are handed 100€ and spend 10€ of that 100€ on vat, have you contributed anything? NO. You've just received slightly less overall. You're still a net taker instead of a net giver to the public purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When i spent my 20p pocket money down the local shop to by sweets back in the day, i paid vat. I was not a taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

But we're not all tax payers like you just listed.

It looks like you have a very poor understanding of the tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Building more houses until supply meet demand is the only way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

AMKC wrote: »
    Mary Loo honestly how anyone stands her I will never know. She does nothing but moan moan moan. How about she for wants comes up with an idea and proposes it to the government in power instead of just moaning all the time?

Nonsense. Opposition politicians are fully entitled to criticise, or moan as you call it. It has always been thus.

Also, they have oodles of ideas on housing: https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Who gets that?
    You couldn't mean social housing, seeing as the tenants pay rent and don't actually own the house?

Oh, sorry. I meant to say a multi-generational lease on a half million euro house for less than €50 per month that you dont even have to pay property taxes on.
    Does that sound better :)

Sinn fein would bankrupt this country inside a month.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Oh, sorry. I meant to say a multi-generational lease on a half million euro house for less than €50 per month that you dont even have to pay property taxes on.
    Does that sound better :)

Not to me, I would rather own my own home.
    So, it doesn't affect me if someone else has to rent forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Sinn fein would bankrupt this country inside a month.

Perhaps so. But they can't be accused of having no ideas like that poster claimed.

Some of us are net contributers and some are not though.

Not to me, I would rather own my own home.
    So, it doesn't affect me if someone else has to rent forever.

Well it does effect you actually if you are a tax payer.

I have no issue with my tax money going to social housing

Some of us are net contributers and some are not though.
    And sometimes that is because the pay people are on is low. Not because they don't work. I wouldn't be a home carer, for example, which is a very tough job with poor pay. Very much an essential job.

• Advertisement

I am a 'tax payer' living close to social housing on the Howth Road and I am very happy people are being housed in a nice location close to amenities and not ghettoised.

Advertisement