Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

lazygal wrote: »
    I am a 'tax payer' living close to social housing on the Howth Road and I am very happy people are being housed in a nice location close to amenities and not ghettoised.

Are you a tax payer or a vat payer yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Are you a tax payer or a vat payer yourself? :)

I pay all relevant taxes necessary for living in a country where people who can't afford housing can be housed by the state. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Take someone who was renting in a Dublin suburb earning 40 grand a year in a job that is essential in any modern city. He's worked hard all his life, paid his taxes and contributed. He works in the city centre so a handy 20 min commute in and out on the bus.

In 2015 landlord jacks up his rent so he says feck this, better start saving more for a house, he tightens his belt, cuts out holidays, luxuries etc. and by 2018 has 40 grand saved but cannot come close to buying a house in the area.

No choice but to go 60km outside the city. Gets a mortgage for a decent house there but spending 10k per year on commuting costs. Now spends 3 hrs of his day commuting vs the 40 mins before, when he has children he will barely see them.

For me this is the type of person who should be prioritised for social housing in Dublin.

Instead of him getting it the lad who has never worked, gets up at 12pm, sparks up a joint and goes to sign on gets social housing. Who wanders around looking for handy nixers to pay for his hash and booze. Who contributes the square root of fk all to society and is taking up valuable space in a city where people like the example above can't afford to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mimon wrote: »
    Take someone who was renting in a Dublin suburb earning 40 grand a year in a job that is essential in any modern city. He's worked hard all his life, paid his taxes and contributed. He works in the city centre so a handy 20 min commute in and out on the bus.

In 2015 landlord jacks up his rent so he says feck this, better start saving more for a house, he tightens his belt, cuts out holidays, luxuries etc. and by 2018 has 40 grand saved but cannot come close to buying a house in the area.

No choice but to go 60km outside the city. Gets a mortgage for a decent house there but spending 10k per year on commuting costs. Now spends 3 hrs of his day commuting vs the 40 mins before, when he has children he will barely see them.

For me this is the type of person who should be prioritised for social housing in Dublin.

Instead of him getting it the lad who has never worked, gets up at 12pm, sparks up a joint and goes to sign on gets social housing. Who wanders around looking for handy nixers to pay for his hash and booze. Who contributes the square root of fk all to society and is taking up valuable space in a city where people like the example above can't afford to live in.

And that lad sparking up the joint is probably now living in the guys old apartment for €20pm. But im sure hes a vat payer.

But why is he buying a house?
    If he is single and cannot afford the house, why doesn't he buy an apartment?

• Advertisement

I am a 'tax payer' living close to social housing on the Howth Road and I am very happy people are being housed in a nice location close to amenities and not ghettoised.

No problem with this if these people work. If not these houses should be subsidised for people who work but cannot afford to live in Dublin.

No problem with this if these people work. If not these houses should be subsidised for people who work but cannot afford to live in Dublin.

Most people in social housing work.

bubblypop wrote: »

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey, don't get caught up in the detail :)

It is a hypothetical situation as an example of who should be on top of the list in terms of priority for social housing and who shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Most people in social housing work.

They don't. Every time someone brings up this chestnut it gets debunked by our govt's own statistics. Anyone got the link?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey, don't get caught up in the detail :)

It is a hypothetical situation as an example of who should be on top of the list in terms of priority for social housing and who shouldn't.

Well make a better example!!
    He shouldn't be a priority for a house, maybe a one bed flat.
    Personally I believe that people working in the community should be prioritised for social housing, nurses, teachers, gardai, community workers etc
    However, what do you suggest doing with people who are not 'top of the list' ? What do those people who cannot house themselves do?

• Advertisement

Well make a better example!!
    He shouldn't be a priority for a house, maybe a one bed flat.
    Personally I believe that people working in the community should be prioritised for social housing, nurses, teachers, gardai, community workers etc
    However, what do you suggest doing with people who are not 'top of the list' ? What do those people who cannot house themselves do?

It's a message boards, what do you expect a novel on Commuting Colin's now miserable existance, spending hours on end in a car every day :)

The council should offer people places down the country where housing is a lot cheaper on a take it or leave it basis and as they are not contributing to the city either financially or socially they will free up space for people who will.

It's called fairness which seems to have been forgotten somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I'm basically in similar circumstances to that example given, except I am a single parent as well so obviously banks aren't jumping to lend me money regardless. But in terms of a single person with no dependents, banks are very reluctant to lend for one bed apartments, and the LTV is different for one beds as far as i know. Two bed apts aren't much more affordable than some houses, they start off affordable when advertised and then you get outbid very quickly. But I don't think the poster intended for their example to be specific about houses v apartments. I always use the term "house" when planning for my home, but likelihood is it will be an apartment.

It's a message boards, what do you expect a novel on Commuting Colin's now miserable existance, spending hours on end in a car every day :)

The council should offer people places down the country where housing is a lot cheaper on a take it or leave it basis and as they are not contributing to the city either financially or socially they will free up space for people who will.

It's called fairness which seems to have been forgotten somehow.

Which council exactly?
    Where do you suggest we set up this large town with no workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭20/20

We looked at about 10 houses there over the past five years, and ended up buying close by so I know the area well.

I do believe you live close to the Howth Road Apts and wouldnt expect any prizes for guessing the area around the corner.
    But please dont make up krap and tell lies to suit your argument. I said not many houses come on the market on the Road. I can only think of one in the last five years. You have looked at ten ????

Tell me what houses you have looked at ??? To make it easier for yourself narrow it down to half mile either side of Blackbanks View Apts. But on the same road.

20/20 wrote: »
    I do believe you live close to the Howth Road Apts and wouldnt expect any prizes for guessing the area around the corner.
    But please dont make up krap and tell lies to suit your argument. I said not many houses come on the market on the Road. I can only think of one in the last five years. You have looked at ten ????

Tell me what houses you have looked at ??? To make it easier for yourself narrow it down to half mile either side of Blackbanks View Apts. But on the same road.

Some of them are in the links I posted.

Some of them are in the links I posted.

What houses ?? If true.

What houses ?? If true.
    Two of the white houses with flat roofs. Several semi ds in need of gutting. Two on Fox's Lane-which is just off the Howth Road and we lost out there because there were cash buyers. One new build. And a few others. Do I need to post the addresses or do you want to look at the links that show what was sold on a road you claim one house was sold in the past five years? Not to mention the large estates just off the Howth Roads, where there's been many houses bought and sold in recent years.
    You sound annoyed people who couldn't afford to buy in this area get to live here.

Two of the white houses with flat roofs. Several semi ds in need of gutting. Two on Fox's Lane-which is just off the Howth Road

I said on the Howth Road, and within half mile either side. I you want to post off the road it different value.

I said on the Howth Road, and within half mile either side. I you want to post off the road it different value.
    If you want to locate specific houses sold, look at the property price register.

Did you not get to buy on this specific road within half a mile of social housing or what?

Again, you sound like you resent people who couldn't afford to buy homes here being housed here.

If you want to locate specific houses sold, look at the property price register.

Did you not get to buy on this specific road within half a mile of social housing or what?

Again, you sound like you resent people who couldn't afford to buy homes here being housed here.

You have posted to much rubbish on here today. Your latest claiming you viewed 10 houses nearby in five years. But there have not been that many for sale. One of us is wrong. Dont post links to 125 houses and tell me to take my pick.
    If you are telling the truth tell us which houses.

• Advertisement

You have posted to much rubbish on here today. Your latest claiming you viewed 10 houses nearby in five years. But there have not been that many for sale. One of us is wrong. Dont post links to 125 houses and tell me to take my pick.

This is ridiculous.
    Take a break.

I'm not here to cater to your little rants.
    Off you go and count how many balconies have washing on them.

Is that not a reasonable way to feel, though. I live in a council estate (a bad one, at that) and I hope to move away from it (not with a massive budget, about 200-220k, but should get something in a quieter area).

If someone works their bollocks off through their life, with a dream of living in a posher, nicer, gentrified area, then of course they should resent people who haven't made the same effort getting housed next to them, on pittance rents.

What's the point in getting out of bed and working towards your dream/goal if someone else is going to have it handed to them without any effort at all? What message are we sending here?

I'm all for people in Social housing getting housed in quiet, safe areas where they can have a proper quality of life. I know firsthand that dealing with scumbags around the clock, putting up with bonfires, joyriding, scramblers, fireworks all the time etc. is incredibly difficult and makes life much harder. I don't think anyone should have to put up with that, but at the same time we shouldn't be re-housed in the most expensive and sought-after areas. That's nonsense.

Is that not a reasonable way to feel, though. I live in a council estate (a bad one, at that) and I hope to move away from it (not with a massive budget, about 200-220k, but should get something in a quieter area).

If someone works their bollocks off through their life, with a dream of living in a posher, nicer, gentrified area, then of course they should resent people who haven't made the same effort getting housed next to them, on pittance rents.

What's the point in getting out of bed and working towards your dream/goal if someone else is going to have it handed to them without any effort at all? What message are we sending here?

I'm all for people in Social housing getting housed in quiet, safe areas where they can have a proper quality of life. I know firsthand that dealing with scumbags around the clock, putting up with bonfires, joyriding, scramblers, fireworks all the time etc. is incredibly difficult and makes life much harder. I don't think anyone should have to put up with that, but at the same time we shouldn't be re-housed in the most expensive and sought-after areas. That's nonsense.
    We didn't want to live in an apartment, which is what this development comprises. We wanted to be able to choose our home, location, size, type, do work on it ourselves and have the ownership of it once the mortgage is paid. That's why we go to work.
    A lot of people are in vital jobs that simply don't pay well. They need to live somewhere. Why shouldn't they get to enjoy a nice area? I can't understand the begrudgery. We benefited from our state funded education and supportive families, who didn't raise us to be selfish and pull the ladder up behind us because we're doing alright for ourselves.

No, you need to worry about yourself not other people.
    Doesn't matter a Damn what your neighbours pay or don't pay for their houses.

Resenting other people.because they cannot afford to buy their own home is one of the more ridiculous Irish characteristics. If you're jealous, leave work and join the housing list. If you want your own house, concentrate on yourself.

If you're jealous, leave work and join the housing list.
    I often wonder why, if a life dependent on state benefits and housing is so great, that most of the country doesn't make that choice.

I'm not here to cater to your little rants.

I guess with no answer you were lying.
    BTW The white flat roof house you mention is an Art Deco house. Did you think it needed a roof.
    Why should we believe anything you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I often wonder why, if a life dependent on state benefits and housing is so great, that most of the country doesn't make that choice.

As do I. You'd be forgiven for thinking it's a sure fire route to becoming a millionaire (on paper anyway! :pac: ).

Ambition.

• Advertisement

Most people have pride in themselves. Shouldn't be an option for those that don't though.

Advertisement