Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

20/20 wrote: »
    I guess with no answer you were lying.
    BTW The white flat roof house you mention is an Art Deco house. Did you think it needed a roof.
    Why should we believe anything you say.

No. 640? Yes, looked at this one. North facing garden.

Ambition.

Off and buy on the Howth Road within half a mile of the Cluid development so.

lazygal wrote: »
    I often wonder why, if a life dependent on state benefits and housing is so great, that most of the country doesn't make that choice.

Because it's a system that rewards you the longer you're on it. If you demonstrate that you're a waste of time, they won't engage you with silly FAS courses and such as dealing with you is a pain in the ass.

If you've demonstrated that you are willing to do a bit of work, trying to go onto the social welfare side of the economy becomes much more difficult. You get absolutely tormented and pestered for about 3-4 years before they accept that you're a waste of time and move on.

You also have to be willing to be a nuisance to your neighbours and have a load of kids, preferably as a single parent, to get moved quicker, to a better area.

It's a great way of life, but if you've gone down the "right" way of life, then getting onto the gravy train is made much, much harder on you.

(Thats not to say its impossible - it can be done, but ideally you're better off having never tried in the first place).

A lot of people are in vital jobs that simply don't pay well. They need to live somewhere. Why shouldn't they get to enjoy a nice area?

Of course they can enjoy a nice area. I literally addressed exactly this point in the post you quoted?

Most areas are nice areas. They shouldn't be living in the most sought after areas in the country, though.

I guess with no answer you were lying.
    BTW The white flat roof house you mention is an Art Deco house. Did you think it needed a roof.
    Why should we believe anything you say.

What is this?
    Are you just trying to insult that poster? I'm sure she knows what 'art deco ' is!

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is this?
    Are you just trying to insult that poster? I'm sure she knows what 'art deco ' is!

They're lovely houses but smaller than they look on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Who in Ireland pays no VAT on anything they buy?

Such a silly argument

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It really does.
    Someone told me indignantly that an SNA got one of the apartments on the Howth Road. To which I replied, shows how poor their pay is that they are in need of social housing. You'd swear we're not all taxpayers, that we don't all pay VAT, PRSI, income tax, motor tax, USC etc.........

I think most would have no issue with Social Housing being given to SNAs.

Personally I would object to them having more security then private renters but that's an issue with the whole system.

This is a silly argument that is just going around in circles. The lists will get longer, the costs will get higher, tax will get higher, there will be no capacity for private building and we'll wonder more and more why we can't spend on infrastructure and why people emigrate.

And all the while every single one of the main parties will crow about social housing and continually screw over workers, "increasing the role of the government"

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭20/20

No. 640? Yes, looked at this one. North facing garden.

Are you still telling fibs. Firstly a quick look on google says number 640 sold for €755,000 in Feb 2012. Ireland was in the middle of a recession then. It proves my point that houses on the road are high value. Perhaps not for social housing.
    I will accept that as one from ten you viewed, but try to be nearer with next house. Number 640 is 1 Km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I often wonder why, if a life dependent on state benefits and housing is so great, that most of the country doesn't make that choice.

Some relations of mine do it.

Two parents both claim long-term welfare.

They claimed 100,000 in students fee grants and cash grants.
    (NB: bigger grants than normal, as both parents on welfare)

They have an Audi Q3 or Q5.

Nixer brings in 40,000 max, maybe less.

They say to me, and I quote: "why would you bother working?".

The nixer is not invisible, so I wonder why some official doesn't find out about it.

Are you still telling fibs. Firstly a quick look on google says number 640 sold for €755,000 in Feb 2012. Ireland was in the middle of a recession then. It proves my point that houses on the road are high value. Perhaps not for social housing.
    I will accept that as one from ten you viewed, but try to be nearer with next house. Number 640 is 1 Km away.
    Great you can look up house sales! Well done.

• Advertisement

Plenty do.

We have very high rates of jobless households.

We lead Europe in joblessness.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2017/11/very-low-work-intensity-by-household.html

Geuze wrote: »
    Some relations of mine do it.

Two parents both claim long-term welfare.

They claimed 100,000 in students fee grants and cash grants.
    (NB: bigger grants than normal, as both parents on welfare)

They have an Audi Q3 or Q5.

Nixer brings in 40,000 max, maybe less.

They say to me, and I quote: "why would you bother working?".

The nixer is not invisible, so I wonder why some official doesn't find out about it.

Maybe because the people that do know, ie you, don't actually report it.

Also, 'bigger grants than normal' ? What does this mean? They can't claim bigger grants than what exists

What is this?

Maybe she does.

She certainly knows what side her bread is buttered.

Maybe she does.

She certainly knows what side her bread is buttered.

You appear to be annoyed with her because she can afford to live in that area, you're also annoyed at social tenants being housed in that area.....
    What is your issue?

You appear to be annoyed with her because she can afford to live in that area, you're also annoyed at social tenants being housed in that area.....
    What is your issue?

Little Miss lazy seems to be telling a lot of untruths.

Little Miss lazy seems to be telling a lot of untruths.

What exactly is your issue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

20/20 don't post in this thread again

mariaalice wrote: »
    Building more houses until supply meet demand is the only way to go.

If only it was that simple. The average worker in this country is not going to be able to afford to buy them unless the developer sells them at a loss.
    But why is he buying a house?
    If he is single and cannot afford the house, why doesn't he buy an apartment?

I don't get this either. Irish people have a problem with apartments and duplexes. A middle aged lady that works with me never stops going on about the fact that you don't have your own front door in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tara2k wrote: »
    If only it was that simple. The average worker in this country is not going to be able to afford to buy them unless the developer sells them at a loss.

I don't get this either. Irish people have a problem with apartments and duplexes. A middle aged lady that works with me never stops going on about the fact that you don't have your own front door in an apartment.

Perhaps it's the poor standard of apartments that put people off. I don't know about building standards now for new builds but from work and having being in many an apartment complex built during the Celtic Tiger, I know I'd run a mile. Poor insulation, poor or no noise suppression, out of date fire appliances or none at all. Sewage running onto footpaths and grass margins.
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Harika

Solution that was thought of in Austria for that problem:
    Ireland can borrow money from the ECB for 0% repayable in 100 years. Build/buy houses with that money. Rent the house out to low income people based on 1% finance, payment for 100 years stretched. Means a 300k house costs 500 euro "rent", stays in the family and if they don't need it anymore can be moved on.
    Payment

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Perhaps it's the poor standard of apartments that put people off. I don't know about building standards now for new builds but from work and having being in many an apartment complex built during the Celtic Tiger, I know I'd run a mile. Poor insulation, poor or no noise suppression, out of date fire appliances or none at all. Sewage running onto footpaths and grass margins.
    No thanks.

Poor standards with no noise insulation.
    And no storage. Nowhere to make a home, more a short term living arrangement. Big problem with apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Irish people have a problem with apartments and duplexes.

There's a thousand fairly logical reasons - to list the most important:

1. They're built to a worse standard than most houses - soundproofing is effectively non-existent in Irish builds and damp spreading from unoccupied apartments etc... is a big issue.

2. A deposit for the most sensible thing for a single person - a 1 bed apartment - is 30% compared to 10% for anything else.

3. A terraced house pre-1970 is often the same price as a 2-3 bed apartment in the same area if you compare sq/m. Then add management fees and sinking fund.

4. There is almost no supply due to REITs, and traditional 'social housing apartments' ended up in slum towers 40 years ago, so obviously we're never allowed anything sensible again.

5. Far far far higher risk of problem social tenants (not to mention brothels) if you're between the canals. Anyone who lived Cork St, Francis St etc.. knows exactly what I'm on about here

6-1000. FIRE. REMEDIATION. WORKS. There's a good 15-30% of apartments since the 1980s built in Dublin that are effectively ticking time bombs due to completely falsified fire safety standards. Find out you're impacted? No sinking fund will cover it and often the whole block will need to get fixed, not just your unit. The kicker? You can't sell or rent the unit until its fixed. One of your neighbours can't afford the fix? Sling your hook. Government doesn't want to hear about it.

I'll tell you a funny one.
    I posted the same on another thread.

https://www.flac.ie/blog/new-social-housing-assessment-regulations-raise-the-income-l/

'' FLAC is aware of at least one case, arising from its Roma Legal Clinic, where a family with over ten children, who were dependent on social welfare and who were experiencing homelessness, were unable to access social housing supports because their income was above the threshold''

I qualify for social housing should the notion take me, , but I choose not too for various reasons.
    But here in this article above a roma family with 10 children dependant on social welfare are actually over the threshold ie 42000 I believe. I'm under the threshold, after a 4 year bachelor degree but these guys are taking in more than me.
    So yeah I've often wondered the same myself, and I'd say half the country is sick of paying through the nose and all the chancers get the cream. Wouldn't be surprised if people realised this and started making some changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Apartments are fine in the short term especially if your young or single. They are far too small, no sound proofing, damage to your property because your neighbour has a leak, management fees etc.

When my son was a baby I was in an apartment and boy did I wish I had my own door when trying to manage a small baby and getting shopping up from the car. Moved to a house when he was one so he had a back garden to play in and it was a definite improvement for us. You don’t always have time to take kids to the park and it’s great sending them outside out of your hair. Now maybe if apartments were bigger and there were enclosed courtyards or green areas with apartments it would definitely be more suitable for families or even couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sinn fein would bankrupt this country inside a month.

And FF bankrupted it already.

Maybe because the people that do know, ie you, don't actually report it.

Also, 'bigger grants than normal' ? What does this mean? They can't claim bigger grants than what exists

The typical max student cash grant is 3,025, less than the max special rate available if both parents on welfare, 5,915.

Harika wrote: »
    Ireland can borrow money from the ECB for 0% repayable in 100 years.

The Govt does not, can not, and never has borrowed from the ECB.

That is illegal, and does not happen.

The ECB lends to banks, not Govts.

What you may be referring to is QE, when the ECB buys Govt bonds in the secondary market.

Here are the costs to build a house:

https://twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1330907722141880321/photo/2

179k "hard" construction costs.

If we cut out the huge land costs, the profit margin, and reduced the finance costs, we could reduce the total costs from 371k to 270-280k.

mohawk wrote: »
    Apartments are fine in the short term especially if your young or single. They are far too small, no sound proofing, damage to your property because your neighbour has a leak, management fees etc.

Yes.

2-bed need to be 80 sqm minimum.

3-beds need to be 100 sqm minimum.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    The typical max student cash grant is 3,025, less than the max special rate available if both parents on welfare, 5,915.

So the maximum Grant available is 5,915. Nothing special about it. That's what's available.
    Do you think kids whose parents are on welfare should be encouraged to go to third level, get educated and maybe not go on welfare themselves?

Advertisement