Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Because it's a system that rewards you the longer you're on it. If you demonstrate that you're a waste of time, they won't engage you with silly FAS courses and such as dealing with you is a pain in the ass.

If you've demonstrated that you are willing to do a bit of work, trying to go onto the social welfare side of the economy becomes much more difficult. You get absolutely tormented and pestered for about 3-4 years before they accept that you're a waste of time and move on.

You also have to be willing to be a nuisance to your neighbours and have a load of kids, preferably as a single parent, to get moved quicker, to a better area.

It's a great way of life, but if you've gone down the "right" way of life, then getting onto the gravy train is made much, much harder on you.

(Thats not to say its impossible - it can be done, but ideally you're better off having never tried in the first place).

Of course they can enjoy a nice area. I literally addressed exactly this point in the post you quoted?

Most areas are nice areas. They shouldn't be living in the most sought after areas in the country, though.

After over 30 years of getting up in the morning, working hard, moving where the jobs are and living where i can afford to live, id like to take a year off since im feeling rather burnt out. Do you think they will give me the dole for a year or 2 for a rest if I quit my job. A few school friends have been on the dole nearly all their lives. Why cant I have it for a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

lazygal wrote: »
    Most people in social housing work.

No they don't.

The majority don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I wonder if anyone here knows how social housed works in other Countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

JimmyVik wrote: »
    After over 30 years of getting up in the morning, working hard, moving where the jobs are and living where i can afford to live, id like to take a year off since im feeling rather burnt out. Do you think they will give me the dole for a year or 2 for a rest if I quit my job. A few school friends have been on the dole nearly all their lives. Why cant I have it for a year or two?

Whats stopping you from giving it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No they don't.

The majority don't work.

There are two questions here.

There are lots of people IN social housing who've been there for years and are working away.

But people on the waiting list is a totally different demographic I'd say.

• Advertisement

Whats stopping you from giving it a go?

Unlike Jack down the road who never worked a day in his life and can get the state to pay him for not working, if I quit my job I will not get any state supports. So I'll have to pay rent and i will have to fund my own living expenses. So its a no go im afraid.

Unlike Jack down the road who never worked a day in his life and can get the state to pay him for not working, if I quit my job I will not get any state supports. So I'll have to pay rent and i will have to fund my own living expenses. So its a no go im afraid.

Of course you Will.

Its a completely different mindset, people work for the system and people work the system, its a completely different mindset, some people want to exist and have a good contented life and others want the lifestyle.
    I think the people that grow their own food ind live a pretty modest life have a better sense of contentment, i did a course in organic horticulture one time and the people on it were great...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

There are two questions here.

There are lots of people IN social housing who've been there for years and are working away.

But people on the waiting list is a totally different demographic I'd say.

Years ago the vast vast majority of those in social housing worked. I think one big thing that has changed the statistics compared to now is that we sold off a huge chunk of the social housing stock. Of the council houses in our area all but one were bought from the council. All those houses had at least one person working.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I see the IMF are calling for more taxes to be levied, no doubt on workers.
    It will soon become even less favourable to get up and go to work in the morning.

Of course, there are no calls to cut the very generous welfare handouts.

• Advertisement

Jane98 wrote: »
    It will soon become even less favourable to get up and go to work in the morning.

We are heading towards a cliff and its our own fault.
    We are nearly back where we were in 2008.
    I also see our take of our currant Corporation may be halved...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Jane98 wrote: »

Thats right, more income taxes , more carbon tax, and reintroduction of water charges. Someone has to pay for the social housing and lifelong welfare recipients (and welfare recipients who have arrived from around the world).

If you don't like it , tough ****e , nothing will be done decrease the welfare bill or attempt to redress the supply/demand imbalance in housing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

ek motor wrote: »
    Thats right, more income taxes , more carbon tax, and reintroduction of water charges. Someone has to pay for the social housing and lifelong welfare recipients (and welfare recipients who have arrived from around the world).

If you don't like it , tough ****e , nothing will be done decrease the welfare bill or attempt to redress the supply/demand imbalance in housing .

Social housing is probably more important then ever especially in Dublin due to housing costs. There are many on low or modest incomes who work very hard every day who can’t afford the rents or house prices in the city. Those that tell them to commute ignore the huge cost of commuting from a low income. Then some life long welfare recipients are very genuine cases such as those who have a disability that makes working impossible or impractical also carers who are looking after their loved ones at home saving the state a fortune. Those people deserve a stable roof over their heads.
    What do you do about those who are capable of work but never have is very tricky as many have children and you can’t punish children for their parents actions or lack of actions. Anyone can fall on hard times after a change of circumstances and social welfare is great for keeping those people ticking over until they are back on their feet.
    Is there a way to reduce cost of housing to allow those on modest incomes to buy a home.
    The government seem to be pushing a rent for life model, but what is going to happen to those in their 20’s and 30’s (who are paying massive rents now preventing them saving for a home) hit pension age? How much of a pension will they require to keep a roof over their heads? The future looks bleak for that age group unless there is major change in this country.

mohawk wrote: »
    Social housing is probably more important then ever especially in Dublin due to housing costs. There are many on low or modest incomes who work very hard every day who can’t afford the rents or house prices in the city. Those that tell them to commute ignore the huge cost of commuting from a low income. Then some life long welfare recipients are very genuine cases such as those who have a disability that makes working impossible or impractical also carers who are looking after their loved ones at home saving the state a fortune. Those people deserve a stable roof over their heads.
    What do you do about those who are capable of work but never have is very tricky as many have children and you can’t punish children for their parents actions or lack of actions. Anyone can fall on hard times after a change of circumstances and social welfare is great for keeping those people ticking over until they are back on their feet.
    Is there a way to reduce cost of housing to allow those on modest incomes to buy a home.
    The government seem to be pushing a rent for life model, but what is going to happen to those in their 20’s and 30’s (who are paying massive rents now preventing them saving for a home) hit pension age? How much of a pension will they require to keep a roof over their heads? The future looks bleak for that age group unless there is major change in this country.

People who own their own houses should be concerned here too.
    Because even though they may not be the minority now, they soon will be.
    The state will then come after your house in the form of taxes or something else, for you being "lucky" enough to own your own house when the majority rent. There is no easy way out for anyone on this in the long run.

Eamon Ryan already stated they will not being back water charges.
    Personally, I don't think they should have bowed to the pressure to get rid of them in the first place. I never had a problem in paying for my utilities.
    Welfare recipients from around the world? Who are they?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think they should have bowed to the pressure to get rid of them in the first place. I never had a problem in paying for my utilities.

I agree but they put the wrong people in place to do the job.
    They tried to bully us instead of selling us the idea...

The state will then come after your house in the form of taxes or something else, for you being "lucky" enough to own your own house when the majority rent. There is no easy way out for anyone on this in the long run.
    We already pay a local property tax. Ours went down last year.

The two things we are all guaranteed "death and taxes"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How the feck would I know? All I’m saying is don’t throw the people who are currently doing these jobs out of the country like that Galway poster suggested.

If they are here doing those jobs without visa's, they 100% should be repatriated back to their own countries and their government invoiced for the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

riclad wrote: »
    i think if someone is living in dublin and their income is under a certain amount or they are on welfare the council has to accept them on the housing list.
    i think anyone in the eu has the right to travel to any other eu country.most hotels and cafes,gyms are closed .
    the people who worked there simply cannot go to work.
    theres no such thing as a free gaff .
    council tenants pay rents based on their income which includes the income of anyone who lives there who is over the aqe of 18.
    in order to apply for hap you need to be on the housing list

Anyone in the EU as the right to travel to any other EU country, if they can support themselves.

If you have not found a job during the first 6 months of your stay, the national authorities can assess your right to stay longer. For this, they will ask for evidence that you:

are actively looking for a job and
    have a good chance of finding one
    Always keep copies of your job applications, responses from potential employers, invitations for interviews and so on.

You are not required to register with the employment services in your new country unless you are receiving unemployment benefit from your home country. But if you do register, it will help you to prove that you are actively looking for a job.

Can you be deported or asked to leave?
    Your host country can ask you to leave if you can't prove that you have a realistic chance of finding work there.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/index_en.htm#just-moved

• Advertisement

Very noble of you , perhaps the local council will accept a donation from you .

The answer to your last question is - bogus asylum seekers

Very noble of you , perhaps the local council will accept a donation from you .

The answer to your last question is - bogus asylum seekers

Not noble, just normal I would have thought, to pay ones utility bills.
    Bogus asylum seekers, how many are here?

Not noble, just normal I would have thought, to pay ones utility bills.
    Bogus asylum seekers, how many are here?

Very noble i think , you should contact them , they may accept a donation . No harm asking.

Thousands apply for asylum each year and have done for many years. The overwhelming majority of asylum claims are rejected as bogus.

We already pay a local property tax. Ours went down last year.

You wont be saying that for long :)
    Guess how they are going to get all the extra money they need for social housing and to pay the leases on properties from REITS.

You wont be saying that for long :)
    Guess how they are going to get all the extra money they need for social housing and to pay the leases on properties from REITS.

From taxpayers? Or only those who own their homes?

Very noble i think , you should contact them , they may accept a donation . No harm asking.

Thousands apply for asylum each year and have done for many years. The overwhelming majority of asylum claims are rejected as bogus.

Do you not pay your utilities then? If you think it is noble to do so?
    Ok, so rejected asylum seekers are not given leave to remain in the state.
    How much do you think asylum seekers get in welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Are you self-employed?

If not of course you'd get the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Harika wrote: »
    Solution that was thought of in Austria for that problem:
    Ireland can borrow money from the ECB for 0% repayable in 100 years. Build/buy houses with that money. Rent the house out to low income people based on 1% finance, payment for 100 years stretched. Means a 300k house costs 500 euro "rent", stays in the family and if they don't need it anymore can be moved on.
    Payment

That's not true - the Austrian issuances that have 100 year maturities are not borrowed from the ECB and neither are they carrying a 0% interest rate. Per the Austrian Treasury website, any issuances to mature 2117 pay a coupon of 2.1%, which was more (considerably more in many cases) than they paid in coupons for issuances from their Auction process around the same time as their 100 year or near it maturities.
    Also - how much money would be needed to be borrowed any how long before those increased borrowings would increase the coupons we would have to pay on any new debt issuances, not to mind our ability to pay it all back?.
    Borrowers don't just hand out money like that without looking to see what else you have out there.
    It really isn't as simple as "interest rates are low so we should just borrow our way out of the problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Are you self-employed?

If not of course you'd get the dole.

Not as a long term thing. Leave your job of your own volition, wait 9 weeks. Then 7 months later get means tested.

The permanent welfare class will never acquire enough assets for to lose benefits/allowances under a means test.

Having said that, I think the "problem" of the permanent welfare class is vastly overstated. Ofc AFAIK, no firm figures in total across all social welfare are published in terms of the length of the claim, but if you look at the trends of welfare recipients in the different categories over the last ten years, there doesn't appear to be a blockage in any particular category.

Also, the CSO publishes figures relating to just long term unemployment. At the end of 2019, there were in the region of 40,000 people unemployed for more than one year.

The welfare report for 2019, lists the following as the major schemes and their costs:
    Rank Scheme                               Expenditure 
                                              (€million)
    1    State Pension (Contributory)          5,603.13
    2    Child Benefit                         2,102.57
    3    Disability Allowance                  1,705.97
    4    Jobseeker's Allowance                 1,629.03
    5    Widows', Widowers' and Surviving 
         Civil Partners' Contributory Pension  1,558.92
    6    State Pension (Non-Contributory)      1,042.83
    7    Carer's Allowance                       862.56
    8    Invalidity Pension                      728.11
    9    Illness Benefit                         607.22
    10   One Parent Family Payment               533.07
    11   Working Family Payment                  397.20
    12   Community Employment Programme          353.39
    13   Jobseeker's Benefit                     348.01
    14   Maternity Benefit                       267.20
    15   Carer's Support Grant                   219.54 

Total                                     17,958.75

Source

YMMV but I'm happy enough that social safety net catches everyone including the small proportion of never working people. The alternative would the British approach in the early 2010s which saw people with disabilities committing suicide when the state tried to force them to look for work they weren't able to do and then cut their benefits.

• Advertisement

From taxpayers? Or only those who own their homes?

Fairly sure both. But watch out for a significant increase in property tax.

Advertisement