Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerryman (Tralee Edition) headline re Debenhams 'strikers'

• 30-04-2021 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

First off I have absolutely no time for the Gardai, just to get that off the table. But the headline in this weeks Kerryman leaves a lot to be desired. The headline reads: 'Garda Strikebreakers End Debenhams Year Long Protest'.

I think there is a clear agenda by the framer of the by-line that bares no relationship with the facts. The use of the word 'strikebreakers' was totally inappropriate in the circumstances as there is no 'strike' at Debenhams, no one is going back to work there, but the use of the term 'strikebreakers' seems to be a dog whistle to compare the Guards in this instance with the likes of the UK miners strike et al and a Thatcherite right-wing agenda. I can only guess whomever wrote the by-line must be some snotty middle class lefty twit with a chip on both their shoulders......and probably daddy issues. I don't think there are sub-editors anymore so God knows whose writing these!

Again I have no time for the Guards but in this instance they are enforcing Court Orders that they have no option but to execute. Its not a matter of policy about how the Guards may go about enforcing the law in a graduated manner or deciding its better to act a later time. Just like they have no option not to arrest someone for whom they have a bench warrant to arrest they similarily have no discretion on what Court Orders to enforce or not to enforce.

The Kerryman must be going down the tubes if this is the best headline they can come up with.

https://twitter.com/kerryman_ie/status/1387400391940354048/photo/1

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I stopped buying the Kerryman years ago. Awful paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Kerryman is a relic of 20th century media. Who wants to pay for "news" that is a week old and which is easily accessible for free on the day or hour it happens on a whole plethora of other online media outlets and sources including this great forum on Boards!

Granted my parents (both over 70) religiously buy it every week but it's on a one way ticket to the graveyard if it's relying on an increasingly ageing demographic for its business. Does anyone under 40 (advertisers target market) buy It? The odd time I read it at my folks house, I've seen every newsworthy story online already up to a week or more prior. Also, it seems to be full of photos of Sharon's 21st or Johnny's retirement do(or since COVID, Mary and Bernie enjoying a walk on the Fat Mile)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Have they actually got any employees in Kerry these days, or are they all in Holland cosying up to the owners? :p

Advertisement