Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short-term or no contract broadband in low coverage area?

Options
  • 30-04-2021 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to sort out internet for a low coverage area, but the address may not be permanent (subject to lease change etc).

My Eir mobile is only getting a weak signal, it seems to be on a coverage border in that sometimes it's okay but often it's terrible.

Just wondering what your recommendation would be, thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

try and see if vodafone et al has better 4g signal and sign up to their monthly 4g plans

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three 28 day PAYG sim.
    Huawei LTE router.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

I switched to Eir as the 4G coverage map seemed to have the best coverage by far in my area, but it's quite poor as it turns out. I was on Three initially and it was considerably worse than Eir unfortunately, .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

newboard wrote: »
    I switched to Eir as the 4G coverage map seemed to have the best coverage by far in my area, but it's quite poor as it turns out. I was on Three initially and it was considerably worse than Eir unfortunately, .
    Using phone or router?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭naughto

ED E wrote: »
    Three 28 day PAYG sim.
    Huawei LTE router.

Would try gomo as well even though they have a cap of 120 gb for data it doesn't seem to be inforced.
    Pop the sim in to a router a few access points around the house.

• Advertisement

I've just been hotspotting from my phone. Is there a better way? I just assumed the signal would be the same either way if using cellular data

Many things involved, but router might have better signal reception + have external antenna option

Thanks, would something like this do the job? https://www.novatel.ie/tenda-4g680-v2-4g-lte-volte-router

newboard wrote: »
    Thanks, would something like this do the job? https://www.novatel.ie/tenda-4g680-v2-4g-lte-volte-router
    Not familiar, looks outdated tech and low spec
    FDD-LTE DL/UL 150Mbps/50Mbps ->> indicative to LTE CAT4 *

For a similar price you could get Huawei B535 (LTE CAT7) *
    For greater price Huawei B818-263 (LTE CAT19) *

Speed advertised are max theoretical, actual achievable speeds will depend your location, setup, ISP/masts around .
    Research before committing to buy. Good place to get more info:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

Thanks very much Smuggler, I'll check out that forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement