Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Cities of the World - PEEHS REVEAL

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well that was good fun, if not a good result for me :(

The mortifying thing is - when I decided to do the two-entry thing - that was my honest-to-God attempt at the most obscure answers I thought I knew (my knowledge of obscurity, and in some cases actual facts, leaves a lot to be desired, it seems).

My second entry was a list of the Bleeding Obvious. It'll be very interesting to see if that does any better!

(I bet it does, even though I think I got at least one wrong :()

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thoroughly enjoyed that, great game and reveal qb.

And congrats rainbowtrout and Homer, really impressive displays from both of you. I may be on the podium, but I never really got close to you guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks qb for a great game

Congrat rainbow trout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

quickbeam wrote: »
    Heidi, here's the results if you'd submitted your alternative list. Strawbs also wouldn't have had the wooden spoon if you'd submitted those answers:

Player Points Heidi Points
    ari101 117 121

I think we can stick we the original ones - I did bad enough on those :p

ari101 wrote: »
    I think we can stick we the original ones - I did bad enough on those :p
    See my explanation post above - I did better listing the Bleeding Obvious answer than I did trying to be clever :(

• Advertisement

Sawduck wrote: »
    I used to love that site, haven't used it in ages though.

Nowadays I mainly use it to try and name all the Pokémon. Far more difficult as there's "only" 197 countries/capitals but 800+ Pokémon! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Congrats on the victory Rainbowtrout, and very well played as well Homer, ye were playing at a whole different level to the rest of us

Thanks for the game, QB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    See my explanation post above - I did better listing the Bleeding Obvious answer than I did trying to be clever :(

I saw your post and will admit I had a little giggle - PEEHS is it's own beast! :D

Thanks for running, QB - great reveal, loved the factsheets.

Well done the winners, and nice one S Milkshake on hanging on in at the bottom - I'll get my grubby paws on one of those wooden spoons yet!! (I've all but given up on a podium place at this stage!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

As I said in the OP, I ranked the capitals in to 8 different tiers depending on how difficult I thought they were. If I give a weight to how everyone answered depending on whether they went for more or less difficult ones you can see that the results corrolate very closely, showing that going for obscure answers was the way to win here:

Szr7ZK3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Congrats rainbow trout
    Great game and random facts qb

quickbeam wrote: »
    As I said in the OP, I ranked the capitals in to 8 different tiers depending on how difficult I thought they were. If I give a weight to how everyone answered depending on whether they went for more or less difficult ones you can see that the results corrolate very closely, showing that going for obscure answers was the way to win here:

Szr7ZK3.jpg

I've read that about four times, I'm none the wiser, and now my head hurts :(

That all depends on what your idea of obscure is (mine clearly aligns with that of most other boards posters!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That all depends on what your idea of obscure is (mine clearly aligns with that of most other boards posters!)

Very true. The tiers I placed them in were all arbitory based on my perceived thoughts on how difficult they were going to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That's a great graph. So the obvious ones not the way to go interestingly. I had thought there might be three tiers - obvious (low score), middling (high scores because everyone wanted to avoid the obvious), hard (low scores because not many people knew them)

Thanks QB! That was a great reveal. Worth the travel sickness! I really enjoyed the Did You Know portions.

Well done rainbowtrout on beating Homer!!!
    Oh yeah and on winning too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Well done Rainbowtrout. Sorry I missed this Quickbeam. Your information posts are fascinating. I have taken screenshots of them.

cdeb wrote: »
    That's a great graph. So the obvious ones not the way to go interestingly. I had thought there might be three tiers - obvious (low score), middling (high scores because everyone wanted to avoid the obvious), hard (low scores because not many people knew them)

I'd expected the same to be honest. The distribution was a surprise. I don't know if it's always like that. But there were no "Homer Simpson" type answers this game (ref the TV characters reveal) w here the super-duper obvious one ended up being picked by no-one. The closest to that was Jerusalem. The other three that were never picked were (IMO) genuinely difficult answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thank you for organising Quickbeam, great opportunity to check how much Geography I remember.

I really enjoyed the Did You Know portions.

Thanks. They were fun to find too. I started because it looked like the actuatl winner was going to be a forgone conclusion from about Round 5, so tried to make it a bit more interesting by adding other stuff in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Gratz to the victor, fab reveal quickbeam, danke.

P.S. rainbowtrout is a woman.:)

• Advertisement

Reberetta wrote: »
    Gratz to the victor, fab reveal quickbeam, danke.

P.S. rainbowtrout is a woman.:)

Oh! Thanks. Soz rainbowtrout!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Jeez... If I tried to sheep I wouldn't have gotten so many! Thanks QB really enjoyed reading that reveal and the facts! Congrats rainbow trout!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Well played rbt and thanks for a great game qb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭davetherave

Very enjoyable reveal. Thanks QB and well done RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Fantastic reveal, really loves the trivia between rounds. Was occupied watching my team throwing away a sure victory tonight. Can’t believe I scored incorrectly by saying Monte Carlo for Monaco.... cost me my destiny of 6th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Necro wrote: »
    AH FCUK IT ANYWAYS

That'll learn me going with my wife's country of birth :(

Thinly veiled brag about having a foreign wifey

Thanks for running QB. I loved the trivia in between rounds! Scenery for tallest mountain is just such a brilliant name for a mountain :D

Grats to Trouty on yet another Sheep/Peehs victory! Happy enough with my top 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah . 34/5th so good result:)
    Great reveal QB ,and congrats to rainbowtrout 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Well done, Rainbow.

Thanks, QB

Advertisement