Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nomadland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Watched in on the big screen (not in Ireland) and loved the photography, soundtrack, how Frances McDormand gelled with the real elderly nomads/non professional actors.
    The solo journey aspect reminded me a little bit of Wild with Reese Witherspoon.
    Fair play for showing the social/economic aspect, which is very different from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watch this today. It was ok, good acting, spectacular scenery, lovely music. But I don’t understand how this film won awards. If I compare it to a film with similar themes from over 10 years ago, ‘Into the Wild’. For me itw is by far better film, Emile Hirsch gives a better acting performance than McDormand, the supporting role of Holbrook is better than the support in this although they were good. Yet itw doesn’t win any awards, Hirsch wasn’t even nominated for Oscar wtf?? And this film wins loads. Year before Parasite was a truly great and original winner, this Nomadland was just a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

i couldn't even finish Into the wild.. found it so pretentious - but Lovvvvved Nomadland.. just shows - horses for courses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There wasn’t much of a story to nomadland. Big business collapses in US town and woman loses her job, takes to the road in her RV, actually doesn’t go very far, meets a lot of like minded people (because she mostly goes to nomad/traveller) settlements and festivals, and has deep and meaningful conversations with them.

I thought there was so much more to ‘into the wild’. Young relatively rich kid turns his back on material wealth, goes on adventures across America, meets many diverse people who mostly look to help him, then goes on his ultimate survival adventure and tragically doesn’t make it back, but realises when it’s too late that true happiness comes from relationships with people and family rather than selfish adventures. I thought it was a great movie with a fantastic central performance from EH, and a brilliant support from HH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Advertisement