Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Night April 30 BT Sports 1: Conlan and Edwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MC spent 5-6 rounds walking Baluta down but not hitting or hurting him..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Conlon by slimmest of margins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Conlan close but clear for me. Few improvements in there for sure but a mixed bag overall. Fulton won't be too concerned watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Conlan seemed to think his natural ability would see him win the fight. Could, and should, have done a lot more. Was expecting that Baluta would be worn down by the body shots and when he wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ridiculous fitness from Baluta.

After about 5 rounds of swinging with everything he had, all he had to do to keep going at a high pace was take a little bit of heat off his shots and he was able to windmill away for the last 7.

Very impressive stuff considering he was getting hit to the body quite a bit aswell !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Thoroughly, thoroughly, unimpressive from Conlan there.

Baluta has an engine and plenty of output, but he was wide open to be hit with counters coming in. Conlan really should be beating European level guys like him with ease if he is serious about being a world level contender.

Conlan pushed him over at least 5 times too, should absolutely have had a point deducted.

Baluta was mugged there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Probably should have been a draw tbh. Mick got away with one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

PunkIPA wrote: »
    Baluta was mugged there.

He really wasn't. Serious engine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Think the draw was the way I scored it. The 117-112 was nuts. Lucky win for him. Or am I crazy. Commentary was laughable.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Conlan close but clear for me. Few improvements in there for sure but a mixed bag overall. Fulton won't be too concerned watching that.

Far from clear..

No issue at all had Baluta got that

Very unimpressive from Mick..

Needs to bin the posing and threatening and go to work far more..

He really wasn't. Serious engine though.

I had it a draw but think Conlan should have been deducted a point for the continuous pushing. 117-112 is an absolute mugging.

If you were only listening to the commentary, Mick won by a mile!!!

Farcical.

Seeing Joe Joyce as an analyst is like watching parts of the King's speech !

I feel bad for him tbh, he seems a nice guy and is just so uncomfortable speaking in front of a camera.

walshb wrote: »
    If you were only listening to the commentary, Mick won by a mile!!!

Farcical.

Funny enough Richie and Rawlings were very biased in favour of Conlan.
    Yet Richie's scorecard after 10 was 96-94 Conlan, and Richie gave Baluta the 11th. Not sure what he said about the 12th, but despite his commentary that's at worst either 115-113 Conlan or a draw on his scorecard.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Funny enough Richie and Rawlings were very biased in favour of Conlan.
    Yet Richie's scorecard after 10 was 96-94 Conlan, and Richie gave Baluta the 11th. Not sure what he said about the 12th, but despite his commentary that's at worst either 115-113 Conlan or a draw on his scorecard.

Yes. Was thinking the same. Spent 90 percent commentary in MCs favor, yet had his card on a knife edge with a round or two to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Surely got to deduct a point for that punch that was about two minutes after the bell?

Edwards 4/9 right now on Paddy Power.

Edwards putting on a clinic. Great performance if he can manage the gas tank and see this out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Missed the Conlan fight but not at all surprised he struggled. Has shown nothing to suggest he will be near world level in the pro’s and I can’t see that changing.

Really good performance so far by Edwards, have him 9-2 up going into the last.

One judge 120-108 a shutout and another 115-113. Lol!

• Advertisement

Fair play to Edwards for calling out the 120-108 card. Wish more winning fighters would do the same.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fair play to Edwards for calling out the 120-108 card. Wish more winning fighters would do the same.

Thought he spoke very well in the interview after. Most boxers are hard to listen to but that was a nice listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Watched the Conlon fight last fight, but the missus wanted to watch something else so didn't get to see the Edwards fight.

I'm going to set something here, I think Adam booth is a charlatan and a fraud of a trainer.

He's trained how many fighters now?? And In all honesty, unless they have an absolute blistering knockout punch his overly analytical, stick and move style does not work.

He's made his name off David Haye, George Groves and perhaps Andy Lee, to a certain degree, who all had crazy one punch power.

That "style" he has them fight is like the old school amateur point scoring style, one punch thrown to perfection then run. But in the pro game his fighters tend to get walked down, the only reason Groves and haye went as far as they did was they had crazy one punch power.

But it seems if you don't have that power, then his style is not suited to the upper echelons of world championship boxing.

Where are the combinations from his fighters?? The inside work? Body work?

If Conlon wants to win a world title he's going to have to leave booth, because otherwise he'd have been better off getting trained by his father.

MC is almost 30 now. A veteran of boxing

A change camp/trainer likely won’t see much improvement...

Booth is not the issue.

Issues like speed and power and overall workrate are the issues..

We still don’t know how his chin will hold up when cracked clean and hard..

In a nutshell, from what I see......Mick seems to be missing speed/zip in his punches. They seem too slow for a lighter weight fighter..

His defence is very good when he concentrates, but against proper class opposition he could well be exposed when he commits on offence.

Workrate: take last night. For circa 5 rounds he bullied that lad in the walking down sense, but did very little in the punching/landing/hurting sense; Baluta was still out working him even though Baluta was being pushed all around. That has to change. Mick has to get to work with his hands much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Watched the Conlon fight last fight, but the missus wanted to watch something else so didn't get to see the Edwards fight.

I'm going to set something here, I think Adam booth is a charlatan and a fraud of a trainer.

He's trained how many fighters now?? And In all honesty, unless they have an absolute blistering knockout punch his overly analytical, stick and move style does not work.

He's made his name off David Haye, George Groves and perhaps Andy Lee, to a certain degree, who all had crazy one punch power.

That "style" he has them fight is like the old school amateur point scoring style, one punch thrown to perfection then run. But in the pro game his fighters tend to get walked down, the only reason Groves and haye went as far as they did was they had crazy one punch power.

But it seems if you don't have that power, then his style is not suited to the upper echelons of world championship boxing.

If Conlon wants to win a world title he's going to have to leave booth, because otherwise he'd have been better off getting trained by his father.

The thing is it was Conlan that was walking down his opponent but coming out second best in most of the exchanges.
    Just not good enough to make a plan effective.

BT would have you thinking he is the new Manny Pacquiao.

[Cough] Ryan Burnett [Cough/]

Not many combinations from Conlan last night alright, but plenty of body work. There were rounds where he threw little other than the right hook to the body.

To be honest Conlan wasn't looking great in his pro career till Booth got his hands on him. He still doesn't look great, but does look a lot better since Booth started training him and any slim chance of him getting a World title will come under Adam Booth imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Big Ears wrote: »
    [Cough] Ryan Burnett [Cough/]

Not many combinations from Conlan last night alright, but plenty of body work. There were rounds where he threw little other than the right hook to the body.

To be honest Conlan wasn't looking great in his pro career till Booth got his hands on him. He still doesn't look great, but does look a lot better since Booth started training him and any slim chance of him getting a World title will come under Adam Booth imo.

Did you enjoy watching Ryan burnett?

He was horrible to watch,

I never took to Burnett as regards viewing.....very disjointed and awkward style...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

walshb wrote: »
    I never took to Burnett as regards viewing.....very disjointed and awkward style...

Was bossing Donaire though until his freak injury. As an aside check out what Burnett looks like now compared to when he was fighting!

Anyway watched whole fight after and thought Mick did win it but like a lot of times I've seen him live one is left waiting for him to really let his hands go. No doubting how teak tough Baluta is but as said Mick needs to be performing in these fights. Overall he was more accurate and a lot of shots coming in were either fresh air or hitting arms and shoulders.

Quality over quantity won it for him. I can still see Mick getting a World title shot.

• Advertisement

Tbh I loved watching Burnett fight.
    His performance against Haskins was a clinic and I was only delighted to be in Belfast to see him unify Vs Zhakiyanov.

But your previous point wasn't about Booth making fighters boring, you described him as a charlatan.
    He did amazing work with Burnett, and like Shoveller I agree he was bossing Donaire till the injury (he actually went in with an existing problem I believe) and would have won that fight with ease.

You also said he could only be successful with fighters who have power, and Burnett wasn't a puncher. Even if that were true, it was Booth who showed Andy Lee how to turn his hips into his hook, and it was also Booth who taught and reinforced Andy to get low on the inside whenever hooking and exchanging with his opponent.
    Without those amendments, Lee doesn't catch Korobov with that right hook and doesn't win the WBO title.

When Booth took Matty Askin on board I remember several people questioning what Booth was doing wasting his time with an area level fighter.
    Matty Askin became a solid British champion and fringe European level.

Not everyone he trains goes on to be a World beater, but the majority do get significantly better. Are certain fighters more stylistically suited to him than others ?, sure, but that probably applies to all trainers.
    He's no charlatan anyway and from the outside looking in, is probably one of the best trainers the UK has produced in the last couple of decades.

Advertisement