Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phenobarbital in cats

• 30-04-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

our 12 y/o cat has been on phenobarbital for seizure prevention for the past 3 months. It's working well but getting her to take it can be difficult. We have our ways and means but a longer term solution would be easier all round!

I've come across references to it being administered via a gel or liquid - as below:

"Cats can be difficult when it comes to pills twice daily long term so it may be helpful to employ a compounded oral liquid or transdermal gel (applied on the unhaired skin of the ear)."

Has anyone come across this in Ireland? Our vet said he doesn't know anywhere it's available here.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We looked into this for our cat who was on regular pain relief with gabapentin. It was a PITA as the only way we could get her to take it was to use a pill crusher and put it into a small amount of food when she was really, really hungry first thing in the morning.

It appears that in the US there's people called "compounding pharmacists" who will take existing medicines in one form and convert them to another, for example as a transdermal gel to rub into a cat's ear. They do it primarily for human medicines as I understand it, but also for animal medicines. I asked or vet who had never heard of it, and she also asked her sister who was a hospital pharmacist and she'd never heard of it either, so I think you're out of luck unfortunately.

https://compoundingrxusa.com/blog/exactly-compounding-pharmacist/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ah that's a pity but thanks so much for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don’t have any advice on the liquid but my soon to be 12y/o cat is also on phenobarbital for epilepsy, he gets a quarter tablet twice a day and what I do is i crush the quarter between two spoons and stir it in through a liquid cat treat such as this, and he doesn’t even notice he’s taking it. He’s just happy he’s getting extra treats twice a day! No seizures since, and no struggles with pills :pac:

https://zooplus.page.link/qQLL

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks for that, will give it a go!

Advertisement