Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

dalyboy wrote: »
    These same people then maintain their stance that they are thinking for themselves. The reality is that it’s very much the man on the telly that’s really telling them what and how to think.

It strikes me that it is those who took the “July plan” that never actually existed at face value that listened to “the man on the telly”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Boggles wrote: »
    Someone who creates all sorts of fantasy in order to self justify their decision not to take a vaccine.

Cause Autism, or such nonsense.

of which I did none :confused:
    Not sure how you got that from the general "I don't need it"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

paw patrol wrote: »
    Not sure who you got that from the general "I don't need it"

You asked me for to define anti vax.
    really depends how you define anti vaxx.

I did as I see it.

Penfailed wrote: »
    That suggests that they are going away. Just not as quickly as I'd like. If they were staying, there won't be a 'possibly 2023'.

I just wonder what the justification could be for them beyond the 21st of June in the UK. It's surely over in the UK, or close to being over. Caution with the border I can understand.

growleaves wrote: »
    Anyone who regards any vaccine as a potential iatrogenic no matter the circumstances.

Well done Boggles.

We back to "do no harm"?

Which we found out actually meant do not ride your patient and under no circumstances perform an abortion on her if you do.

I love history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

We back to "do no harm"?

Which we found out actually meant do not ride your patient and under no circumstances perform an abortion on her if you do.

I love history.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not sure who you got that from the general "I don't need it"

It's the result of social media grandstanding and the need for validation.

Complex subjects (incorrectly) broken down to simplistic "yes or no" arguments.

You're with us, or against us/one of "them"

This is why you'll see people being accused of all sorts they never actually said, because it's the only way the accusers can justify their argument - by tagging people with a catch-all "side"

As I've said before, if nothing else, I hope the last 12 months make people realise the dangers of relying on Twitter/Facebook for their opinions and that in future they discount most of it for the trash it is and investigate for themselves and make up their own minds rather than letting others do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

So when most people are throwing on a simple face covering to go into the shop.

You are taking out one of your 20 turtle neck jumps and putting it on to go into the shop.

:pac:

I assume your joking. You’ve got to be.

Ok , let’s see if you can grasp this. .......... I was/am already wearing a clean newly worn daily and just pull up the turtle neck.

It’s definitely more hygienic than grabbing out a filthy mask from a pocket or bag. 100% Disgusting habit.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not feeling himself at risk and thus not concerned != "anti-vax" ... I even quoted the relevent line for you.

And yep, fair play to him. I'd say he's not alone either as there'll be a lot of people out there with a natural immunity to it now, many of whom probably won't have even known they had it in the first place.

Yes, I can't understand why a person who already had it would need to be vaccinated. Wouldn't it be a good thing that those who already had it wouldn't need to be vaccinated in that it would mean that vaccines could be given to people who need them in other countries?

I assume your joking. You’ve got to be.

I'm joking? :pac:

I bought 50 surgical masks the other day for 8 quid.

How much did you spend on the 30 jumpers?
    Haha , I purchased 20 turtle necks and 10 polo neck fleece tops from M&S last summer. I could see the writing on the wall RE masks

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,022 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It strikes me that it is those who took the “July plan” that never actually existed at face value the listened to “the man on the telly”.

It's the backtracking that's the issue, many of us called for some of the restrictions to be relaxed sooner before the announcement. We were told by the usual suspects, we are not ready yet, we need more people vaccinated, Christmas, 4th wave. Then nphet recommend restrictions being lifted and all of a sudden the same posters are saying these restrictions were always going be lifted now anyway. Listen I'll admit I was wrong, I never expected nphet to recommend opening this quickly, i said all along I wanted a plan and we have some sort of one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Penfailed wrote: »
    That suggests that they are going away. Just not as quickly as I'd like. If they were staying, there won't be a 'possibly 2023'.

…. And not to mention the so-called marshals won’t have any enforcement powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Someone who creates all sorts of fantasy in order to self justify their decision not to take a vaccine.
    You bring this up in every second post why does it concern you, will you not go outside when you get your shot :rolleyes: will you feel in danger until we reach 80-100% which will never happen, are you the nut who advocates 0 covid BS ?

its funny when those twitching the most and having issues somehow seem not in a rush to get the jab here, instead crying in their soup about it. Stockholm syndrome at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What a couple of poster said does not make official policy. More of us spotted the trends and understood the opening would be far quicker than doom mongers on both sides expected.

The thing with policy decisions is they aren’t made until they are made so it may seem like a sudden change, when in fact the preceding weeks were leading to that point

I’m interested in the bit in bold

Ireland, has been the globes most suppressed nation since March 2020 and has delivered its promises on being incredibly cautious right to next week despite the data from other countries showing certain activities were safe like outdoor amenities, construction etc.

A cautious approach that was continually defended by yourself and others as recently as Tuesday

This caution evaporated Tuesday night despite the messaging being incredibly different in the days previously

Now your trying to tell me you “spotted the trends”?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A cautious approach that was continually defended by yourself and others as recently as Tuesday

We are still taking a reasonably cautious approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

scamalert wrote: »
    You bring this up in every second post why does it concern you, will you not go outside when you get your shot :rolleyes: will you feel in danger until we reach 80-100% which will never happen

That can't be the reason logically since paw patrol is already a contributor to herd immunity with the antibodies he has from natural infection.

scamalert wrote: »
    You bring this up in every second post why does it concern you, will you not go outside when you get your shot :rolleyes: will you feel in danger until we reach 80-100% which will never happen, are you the nut who advocates 0 covid BS ?

its funny when those twitching the most and having issues somehow seem not in a rush to get the jab here, instead crying in their soup about it. Stockholm syndrome at its best.

4 times I have read that, not a scooby what it means.

:confused:

I’m interested in the bit in bold

Ireland, has been the globes most suppressed nation since March 2020 and has delivered its promises on being incredibly cautious right to next week despite the data from other countries showing certain activities were safe like outdoor amenities, construction etc.

This caution evaporated Tuesday night despite the messaging being incredibly different in the days previously

Now your trying to tell me you “spotted the trends”?

Except what I was actually arguing was that opening could start, and at faster pace than discussed, but could understand the caution

I'm joking? :pac:

I bought 50 surgical masks the other day for 8 quid.

How much did you spend on the 30 jumpers?

:pac::pac:

Haha. You’ve got a sense of humour anyway. I was concerned that you were a robot or something.

I paid €700-€800 for the 30 quality turtle necks in total from m&s but have a few years of supply and they’re warm for our artic winters. I consider them an investment in both clothing and effective cleaner mask alternative (while the indoors mandate remains).

Wow
    €8 for 50 “surgical” masks ? I’d say they’re about as surgical as a single layer of toilet paper. Go you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

We are being told to enjoy the Summer months, the next 10-12 weeks, etc. as its plain to see they're gonna put us back in lockdown come September/October or before it.

There is trouble afoot in this country IMO.

• Advertisement

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    We are being told to enjoy the Summer months, the next 10-12 weeks, etc. as its plain to see they're gonna put us back in lockdown come September/October or before it.

There is trouble afoot in this country IMO.

Exactly right. Another lockdown in September/October. There will be a lockdown in the UK in September/October too. That's why furlough was extended until September and why covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022 and possibly 2023. But any attempt at a discussion of this is dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Basis for that opinion, Leftwaffle?

Gortanna wrote: »
    Exactly right. Another lockdown in September/October. There will be a lockdown in the UK in September/October too. That's why furlough was extended until September and why covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022 and possibly 2023. But any attempt at a discussion of this is dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

If that happens then both the Irish and UK government’s will be saying the vaccine is useless.
    It’s the only way they could justify locking down again in sept / Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gortanna wrote: »

Well if that's the case you're saying the vaccines don't work so 'foreva' lockdown right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The vaccines work so the above scenario is very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yeah have you been in a shop or cafe in the last 14 months ?
    Have you noticed the spacing on the ground. It’s 2M apart.

If you don’t believe that the 2M distancing is effective then you should send your local TD an email letting them know your concern.

My humble opinion is that both distancing and masks are an absurdity considering the over 70’s have already been vaccinated already.

You will excuse me in thinking that I've walked into the CT forum this morning - on reading a lot of what has been posted here in the last couple of hours.

To your comment- thankfully science doesn't rely on 'humble' opinion

The fact that most over "70s" have received at least one dose of vaccine - does not exclude remaining groups who are very high risk/ high risk and others who have not been vaccinated from this picture. Or that those vaccinated may potentially becone infected albeit with highly improved outcomes.

https://i.imgflip.com/5817mz.jpg

For those not vaccinated - distancing and masks have been shown to reduce the spread of infection. Not recognising that is definitely absurd.

If that happens then both the Irish and UK government’s will be saying the vaccine is useless.
    It’s the only way they could justify locking down again in sept / Oct.

They could justify it by saying case numbers are high. If the media start reporting 20,000 cases (which they will), but leave out the zero hospitalisations bit (which they will), then most people will panic.

And then there's the 'potential variants' thing. The extension of furlough until September was the giveaway. That and mask wearing and social distancing continuing beyond the 21st of June when case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK.

gozunda wrote: »
    You will excuse me in thinking that I've walked into the CT forum this morning - on reading a lot of what has been posted here in the last couple of hours.

To your comment- thankfully science doesn't rely on 'humble' opinion

The fact that most over "70s" have received at least one dose of vaccine - does not exclude remaining groups who are very high risk/ high risk and others who have not been vaccinated from this picture. Or that those vaccinated may potentially becone infected albeit with highly improved outcomes.

https://i.imgflip.com/5817mz.jpg

For those not vaccinated - distancing and masks have been shown known to reduce the spread of infection. Not recognising that is definitely absurd.

Thank you for your review of my post. It was refreshing to hear you enjoyed it so much.

I stand 100% behind everything I wrote btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well if that's the case you're saying the vaccines don't work so 'foreva' lockdown right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yet they are hiring little jackboot thugs (covid marshalls) till into 2023 apparently ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see the new lumps of lovelyness approach continues at pace, open letter from Dr. Houlihan this morning, quite a change from the dogs in the streets commentary. Even the Garda Traffic twitter feed got in on the act with picturesque images of garda vehicles parked on Donegal beaches appearing on their feed, all that was missing was Leonardo Di Caprio moving into the shots looking windswept.

Pippa Hackett mentions possible local lockdowns a notion quickly and diplomatically slapped down by the Donegal Based Minister for agriculture.

Meanwhile Michael mc Grath let's slip in the Times on Sunday that state covid supports to continue until autumn, then back tracks on the week at one on RTE pronouncing doom and gloom.

The mixed messaging continuing with Gusto I see.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »

I'm not saying they don't work. Governments in countries I mentioned are by refusing to lift all restrictions.

Covid is more or less over in the UK and yet covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, and possibly 2023. Even if they don't have power, it still suggests that measures will be in place.

And there's also the two year Covid Public Information Campaign: https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/005534-2021?origin=SearchResults&p=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement