Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I see the new lumps of lovelyness approach continues at pace, open letter from Dr. Houlihan this morning, quite a change from the dogs in the streets commentary. Even the Garda Traffic twitter feed got in on the act with picturesque images of garda vehicles parked on Donegal beaches appearing on their feed, all that was missing was Leonardo Di Caprio moving into the shots looking windswept.

Pippa Hackett mentions possible local lockdowns a notion quickly and diplomatically slapped down by the Donegal Based Minister for agriculture.

Meanwhile Michael mc Grath let's slip in the Times on Sunday that state covid supports to continue until autumn, then back tracks on the week at one on RTE pronouncing doom and gloom.

The mixed messaging continuing with Gusto I see.

Just like in the UK, where furlough has been extended until September. The reason why it's important to highlight what's going on in the UK is because what happens there tends to happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dalyboy wrote: »
    Haha. You’ve got a sense of humour anyway.

I certainly do.

I find it hilarious someone would substitute the minor inconvenience of throwing on a face covering, whether that be washable or disposable in favor of the grossly inconvenient and expensive turtle neck option.

Queuing for ice cream in shorts and a turtle neck.

Brilliant

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

I’m interested in the bit in bold

Ireland, has been the globes most suppressed nation since March 2020 and has delivered its promises on being incredibly cautious right to next week despite the data from other countries showing certain activities were safe like outdoor amenities, construction etc.

A cautious approach that was continually defended by yourself and others as recently as Tuesday

This caution evaporated Tuesday night despite the messaging being incredibly different in the days previously

Now your trying to tell me you “spotted the trends”?

The level of revisionist history and back pedalling by many posters on this and the main covid thread to defend the governments rapid speed of opening up is amazing. Many of us have called for things to open up quicker, especially since early March, but to say allowing countrywide travel from early May was always the plan is laughable. So much so that its actually hard to take many of the posters who constantly defend the government/nphet approach at face value anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Gortanna wrote: »
    They could justify it by saying case numbers are high. If the media start reporting 20,000 cases (which they will), but leave out the zero hospitalisations bit (which they will), then most people will panic.

And then there's the 'potential variants' thing. The extension of furlough until September was the giveaway. That and mask wearing and social distancing continuing beyond the 21st of June when case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK.

Yeah I guess the good ole reliable RTE propaganda will start up around the end of August to facilitate for sure.

I just don’t know how many people are going to buy into another round of preamble though. If DEATHS are non-existent (potentially for the preceding 3-4 months at that point as a result of vaccine effectiveness) and hospitals are empty there’ll be very little actual buy in.

Additionally, how can we pay for it ? It’ll definitely herald in the IMF etc for bail out number 2.

prunudo wrote: »
    The level of revisionist history and back pedalling by many posters on this and the main covid thread to defend the governments rapid speed

What rapid speed of reopening?

What is opening has been touted for weeks.

There is still no concrete dates for July?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

I'm not saying they don't work. Governments in countries I mentioned are by refusing to lift all restrictions.

Covid is more or less over in the UK and yet covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, and possibly 2023. Even if they don't have power, it still suggests that measures will be in place.

And there's also the two year Covid Public Information Campaign: https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/005534-2021?origin=SearchResults&p=1

The pace of people being vaccinated might not be up to speed to the pace of vaccinated people becoming out of date and needing a booster, so there will be going in and out of lockdown for possibly the rest of the decade.

It might be similar to this year. A few holidays/ reprieve for a month or two and the rest in lockdown.

Of course permanent lockdown deniers will be hanging on to the technicality of a month off breaking the 'permanent streak'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yet they are hiring little jackboot thugs (covid marshalls) till into 2023 apparently ...

With no enforcement powers whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

Boggles wrote: »
    What rapid speed of reopening?

What is opening has been touted for weeks.

There is still no concrete dates for July?

If you quoted my whole post you'll see the part where I mentioned countrywide travel. Also the advice about meeting people in gardens has drastically changed. For the better, may I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They could justify it by saying case numbers are high. If the media start reporting 20,000 cases (which they will), but leave out the zero hospitalisations bit (which they will), then most people will panic.

And then there's the 'potential variants' thing. The extension of furlough until September was the giveaway. That and mask wearing and social distancing continuing beyond the 21st of June when case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK.

So we're firmly back in the swamp of wild speculation having travelled there through the plain of utter exaggeration?

OK so..

The pace of people being vaccinated might not be up to speed to the pace of vaccinated people becoming out of date and needing a boostee.

Do you have a link and evidence that the vaccine will expire in our bodies soon? Or did you pull that one out of your butt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I’m interested in the bit in bold

Ireland, has been the globes most suppressed nation since March 2020 and has delivered its promises on being incredibly cautious right to next week despite the data from other countries showing certain activities were safe like outdoor amenities, construction etc.

A cautious approach that was continually defended by yourself and others as recently as Tuesday

This caution evaporated Tuesday night despite the messaging being incredibly different in the days previously

Now your trying to tell me you “spotted the trends”?

Funny stuff alright. Tony came out at some stage last week and said that "we are not where we need to be". Usual suspects climbing over themselves to agree with that and urge caution and "holding firm", "Good man Tony", "India blah" and the customary horse s**t.

A few days later its "Yes we are where we need to be, can start opening up" (Still far too slowly IMO, but I don't really care at this stage, its not affecting me too much) from Tony and its
    "Good man Tony", "We knew it all along", "Timing is exactly right" chorus from the same suspects.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    With no enforcement powers whatsoever.

Why would they be recruiting them if the country will have reached herd immunity, if it hasn't already, by the time their contract begins? They are being recruited to ensure compliance with measures. So there will be measures in place post herd immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Do you have a link and evidence that the vaccine will expire in our bodies soon? Or did you pull that one out of your butt?

Why do you think Ireland has ordered 20 million vaccines by the end of 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    We are being told to enjoy the Summer months, the next 10-12 weeks, etc. as its plain to see they're gonna put us back in lockdown come September/October or before it.

There is trouble afoot in this country IMO.

That's not plain to see. You're making it up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

If you quoted my whole post you'll see the part where I mentioned countrywide travel. Also the advice about meeting people in gardens has drastically changed. For the better, may I add.

Travel restrictions are more less on the same path as last year.

People in gardens equates to a rapid reopening?

Reopening has always been contingent on vaccine and vaccine supply.

We have secured that in the past fortnight.

I think people are trying to divert from the nonsense that was peddled that once Tony came back it would be straight to level 6.

I certainly do.

I find it hilarious someone would substitute the minor inconvenience of throwing on a face covering, whether that be washable or disposable in favor of the grossly inconvenient and expensive turtle neck option.

Queuing for ice cream in shorts and a turtle neck.

Brilliant

:pac:

Why would I be wearing my turtle neck queuing for an ice cream if I’m outdoors. Wait ..... are you an outdoor mask wearer ? If you are you’ve my condolences on your sanity .

Exactly right. Another lockdown in September/October. There will be a lockdown in the UK in September/October too. That's why furlough was extended until September and why covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022 and possibly 2023. But any attempt at a discussion of this is dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

Let's wait and see, yeah? You seem certain that it will happen. I think it's very unlikely.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Yeah I guess the good ole reliable RTE propaganda will start up around the end of August to facilitate for sure.

I just don’t know how many people are going to buy into another round of preamble though. If DEATHS are non-existent (potentially for the preceding 3-4 months at that point as a result of vaccine effectiveness) and hospitals are empty there’ll be very little actual buy in.

Additionally, how can we pay for it ? It’ll definitely herald in the IMF etc for bail out number 2.

Yep. And Ireland doesn't have a functioning fourth estate, so, unlike in England where opposition comes from Talk Radio, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail, The Daily Express (to an extent) in the media, and from the Covid Recovery Group in politics, RTÉ can report whatever they want knowing there will be no opposition.

I actually think the majority would go along with it. '1,000 cases today' sounds scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The level of revisionist history and back pedalling by many posters on this and the main covid thread to defend the governments rapid speed of opening up is amazing. Many of us have called for things to open up quicker, especially since early March, but to say allowing countrywide travel from early May was always the plan is laughable. So much so that its actually hard to take many of the posters who constantly defend the government/nphet approach at face value anymore.

I reckon the amount of gross generalisation and misrepresentation of many discussions between posters is a much bigger problem here. But hey no matter - that seems part of the course...

I must have missed that particular post. Link?

Why would I be wearing my turtle neck queuing for an ice cream if I’m outdoors. Wait ..... are you an outdoor mask wearer ? If you are you’ve my condolences on your sanity .

Who said anything about outdoors?

It's not very hard to understand.

You don't like masks, so much you have decide to buy 30 jumpers as a substitute.

All power to you.

• Advertisement

Why do you think Ireland has ordered 20 million vaccines by the end of 2023?

Abundance of caution just in case we need them. I have no objection for being prepared.

gozunda wrote: »
    So we're firmly back in the swamp of wild speculation having travelled there through the plain of utter exaggeration?

OK so..

I was referring to the UK with the 20,000 cases. In Ireland it'd be 1,000 cases. It's not realistic to believe that the media will stop reporting on case numbers.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Let's wait and see, yeah? You seem certain that it will happen. I think it's very unlikely.

Yes, I'm certain. But I agree, let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't like masks, so much you have decide to buy 30 jumpers as a substitute.

All power to you.

I have to say I'm impressed by the commitment to this course of action, although unconvinced of the efficacy.

Aside from anything else, some stretched wool or cotton is not going to present a very effective droplet barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lumen wrote: »
    I have to say I'm impressed by the commitment to this course of action, although unconvinced of the efficacy.

Aside from anything else, some stretched wool or cotton is not going to present a very effective droplet barrier.

It helped boost the local economy I guess.

Seems far more inconvenient to be carrying around a jumper instead of a mask :pac:

Who said anything about outdoors?

It's not very hard to understand.

All power to you.

Most ice cream venders are outside .

You don’t like jumpers so you have decided to buy 50 “surgical” masks as a substitute.

All power to you. :D

Lumen wrote: »

I don't think that matters to the OP.

I mean we have all headed into a shop at this stage and uttered the words "shít I forgot a mask".

It won't be much different for the OP, just "shít I forgot my turtle neck".

Most ice cream venders are outside .

I have no idea what an ice cream vender is?

Guy in a van?

I'd be pretty confident most shops that sell ice cream are indoors though, because most shops are inside buildings.

Either way, I'll be keeping a keen eye on anyone wearing a turtle neck this summer. ;)

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say that, "countrywide travel from early May was always the plan."

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Seems far more inconvenient to be carrying around a jumper instead of a mask :pac:

Hair cut will be quite the challenge with a turtle neck pulled over your bounce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement