Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The pace of people being vaccinated might not be up to speed to the pace of vaccinated people becoming out of date and needing a booster, so there will be going in and out of lockdown for possibly the rest of the decade.

It might be similar to this year. A few holidays/ reprieve for a month or two and the rest in lockdown.

Of course permanent lockdown deniers will be hanging on to the technicality of a month off breaking the 'permanent streak'.

This is just nonsense. "Lockdown for possibly the rest of the decade"?! Where are you getting this from?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Lumen wrote: »
    I have to say I'm impressed by the commitment to this course of action, although unconvinced of the efficacy.

Aside from anything else, some stretched wool or cotton is not going to present a very effective droplet barrier.

True, the efficacy is perhaps unconvincing however neither is there efficacy in dirty rolled up masks coming out of pockets and bags (which 90% of users admit is the usual protocol due to busy lifestyles) .

Covid riddled fingers being used to adjust said masks in around the mouth and nose really doesn’t shout efficacy either.

How about the discarded masks blowing around the streets and outside shops ?

I’ll stick to my assertion that my solution is best all round.

Penfailed wrote: »
    This is just nonsense. "Lockdown for possibly the rest of the decade"?! Where are you getting this from?

It's not unrealistic. At least every winter from now on. Here's another UK Government contract: https://www.contractsfinder.service.gov.uk/notice/6043d1fd-1f8c-4232-a32a-a658e19abcb1?origin=SearchResults&p=1

Gortanna wrote: »
    It's not unrealistic. At least every winter from now on. Here's another UK Government contract: https://www.contractsfinder.service.gov.uk/notice/6043d1fd-1f8c-4232-a32a-a658e19abcb1?origin=SearchResults&p=1

Time to relocate to Sweden from October to April from now on I reckon.

The conspiracy theories are becoming more and more reality fact if we (and the UK) lock down again in October 2021.

Another UK government contract that doesn't support your theory that we'll be locked down every winter from now on?
    Sorry, I'm just too optimistic to even think that this is a possibility. I remember the time on this thread when those that understood the reasoning behind lockdowns and restrictions were labelled as doom mongers. It's come full circle.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

gozunda wrote: »
    You will excuse me in thinking that I've walked into the CT forum this morning - on reading a lot of what has been posted here in the last couple of hours.

To your comment- thankfully science doesn't rely on 'humble' opinion

The fact that most over "70s" have received at least one dose of vaccine - does not exclude remaining groups who are very high risk/ high risk and others who have not been vaccinated from this picture. Or that those vaccinated may potentially becone infected albeit with highly improved outcomes.

https://i.imgflip.com/5817mz.jpg

For those not vaccinated - distancing and masks have been shown known to reduce the spread of infection. Not recognising that is definitely absurd.

how come your beloved nphet took so long to follow the science regarding masks last year...I recall Half of europe making it mandatory before us.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Time to relocate to Sweden from October to April from now on I reckon.

The conspiracy theories are becoming more and more reality fact if we (and the UK) lock down again in October 2021.

Yes. I think it's a good idea to consider emigration. And I don't think it's fear mongering to suggest a person might wish to consider it. The good thing about the world is that it's full of countries. Sweden is a nice country, but it's very cold there in winter. I know we're used to the cold being from Ireland, but it's a lot colder than Ireland. Australia ticks all the boxes for me. Great weather, beaches etc. Or certain states in the US. The US has an amazing constitution as well, which is a big plus.

Another UK government contract that doesn't support your theory that we'll be locked down every winter from now on?
    Sorry, I'm just too optimistic to even think that this is a possibility. I remember the time on this thread when those that understood the reasoning behind lockdowns and restrictions were labelled as doom mongers. It's come full circle.

I think it does. Why would any of those campaigns be needed when covid is either over, or almost over, in the UK? Why would covid marshals be needed until potentially 2023 to ensure compliance with measures? Why extend furlough until September?

I'm all for being optimistic, but all those contracts that have been awarded, or are set to be awarded, point to future restrictions and/or lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

€800 worth of turtle necks which you admit to not even liking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

paw patrol wrote: »
    the government said this would be unlikely in response to the GAA saying they would consider it.

you can see from some of the comments people are almost aroused at the notion of punishing or excluding those who refuse a vaccine. You can picture their beaming pride as they flash their vaccine passport "look at me , a good citizen"

Yet there will 4 millions vaccinated by Sept (as is the plan), so many others recovered from covid with their delicious antibodies.
    there will be few left in the hospitals with covid

But they'll still beat that drum. There is a weird fetish over controlling the "other person" and demanding a pound of flesh from those that think otherwise.

Principal Skinner knows what to call those people.

pPdNZ3c.jpg

Where has the government said there will never be crowds allowed for clubbing, concerts or GAA games ?
    That is another announcement I must have missed.

Hopefully there will be 4 million vaccinated by September, or even earlier, and there will be a passport system in operation when that level is reached that allows those that have been vaccinated and those that are unable to to avail of a vaccine for medical reasons to attend.

It is not mandatory, nor do I see it being in the future, for anyone to avail of the vaccines, but you appear to be rather put out that those that choose not do may end up not having the same privileges as those that do.
    Neither can I, but it would have nothing to do with controlling the "other person", "beating the drum" or "demanding a pound of flesh".
    It will be about what it has always been, protecting the vulnerable.

When it comes to large gatherings who do you believe should be excluded. Those that refuse to avail of perfectly safe vaccines, or the most vulnerable that cannot ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

True, the efficacy is perhaps unconvincing however neither is there efficacy in dirty rolled up masks coming out of pockets and bags (which 90% of users admit is the usual protocol due to busy lifestyles) .

Covid riddled fingers being used to adjust said masks in around the mouth and nose really doesn’t shout efficacy either.

How about the discarded masks blowing around the streets and outside shops ?

Would your jumpers not be fairly manky as well, if you're using (part of) them as masks?

I think it does. Why would any of those campaigns be needed when covid is either over, or almost over, in the UK? Why would covid marshals be needed until potentially 2023 to ensure compliance with measures? Why extend furlough until September?

I'm all for being optimistic, but all those contracts that have been awarded, or are set to be awarded, point to future restrictions and/or lockdowns.

They don't point to lockdowns for the rest of the decade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

growleaves wrote: »
    India

Ah so its not just some posters who are only mentioning india to keep us locked up then or wtte ? Fair play. Though glad you brought it up.

Oddly enough I haven't seen that India has been added to the MHQ list / with many other countries bringing in travel bans - being discussed much here?

Whilst some restrictions seem to be relaxed this travel restriction effectively impacts nearly 18% of the worlds population. I'm surprised there's been so little said here about it.

Would your jumpers not be fairly manky as well, if you're using (part of) them as masks?

Why would they be manky?

There was a new invention called a washing machine. It actually cleans the clothes including jumpers. It’s amazing.

:pac:

What changed since last weekend regarding the risk from Covid?

The level of vaccinations which reopening is based on. Same as everywhere else.
    Especially when the 14 day data was available from the U.K.in relation to their first phase of reopening.

Boggles wrote: »
    €800 worth of turtle necks which you admit to not even liking?

I dislike masks even more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

The guy who bought the jumpers weirdly brought this back.

They don't point to lockdowns for the rest of the decade though.

No, but they do for another year or two. They've become normalised.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Europe was using the science of wishful thinking last week we were told.

Germany were until the had to reintroduce restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,022 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    The level of vaccinations which reopening is based on. Same as everywhere else.
    Especially when the 14 day data was available from the U.K.in relation to their first phase of reopening.

Hang on last week when I asked you why we are not following other European countries you said we are following science here where as other European countries are using wishful thinking. What changed in 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The pace of people being vaccinated might not be up to speed to the pace of vaccinated people becoming out of date and needing a booster, so there will be going in and out of lockdown for possibly the rest of the decade.

It might be similar to this year. A few holidays/ reprieve for a month or two and the rest in lockdown.

Of course permanent lockdown deniers will be hanging on to the technicality of a month off breaking the 'permanent streak'.

So depressing, just really dawning on me that this is forever ...

Sobit1964 wrote: »

The guy who bought the jumpers weirdly brought this back.

Shopping at the Centra, reach for the butter, wait a minute...where's me jumper?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hang on last week when I asked you why we are not following other European countries you said we are following science here where as other European countries are using wishful thinking. What changed in 2 days.

A lot of other European countries had eased restrictions hoping they had reached the level of vaccinations that made it safe to do so. Their numbers, Germany for one, show how wrong they were.
    Our phases of reopening are based on the U.K levels which from their data shows it highly likely they got it correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

charlie14 wrote: »
    Germany were until the had to reintroduce restrictions.

And what was the level of restrictions they reintroduced. Because last time I checked when Germany was supposedly under severe restrictions, they still had far more services open than we've had for the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

For people that are promask wearing I have a simple question for you ...
    Outdoor mask wearing ? yes or no ?

Reason I ask is that I live in Spain and it is mandatory here, I wear one outside purely not to get fined and have it around my chin most of the time - cops see this and generally don't care, it's the little rent a cop security types you have to be careful of (the ones on €6/hr and failed at police academy).

In shops/metro/bus I wear a FFP2 properly, fair enough it makes sense even if it may help only a tiny bit....

Now the interesting thing is, pro mask people here SUPPORT the masks being worn outdoors - even if they are alone in a park.
    The only difference here is that the govt. have decided to make it mandatory.

So do you think what media/politicians can affect your opinions on something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

TomSweeney wrote: »

I don’t think it is. In the USA there’s a lot of normality going on. My aunt ( in her 80’s) and her daughter just took a flight from Florida to NY to see their grandkids. Also a big get together at a restaurant planned. Of course they are all vaccinated which is key.

If Ireland decides to stay in forever lockdown people shoukd consider emigration( if they can). I’m giving Ireland until the end of the year to see what happens. If the situation doesn’t improve i’m off to the states.

TomSweeney wrote: »

In certain countries, I would say. As long as there are countries to emigrate to then it should be okay.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don’t think it is. In the USA there’s a lot of normality going on. My aunt ( in her 80’s) and her daughter just took a flight from Florida to NY to see their grandkids. Also a big get together at a restaurant planned. Of course they are all vaccinated which is key.

If Ireland decides to stay in forever lockdown people shoukd consider emigration. I’m giving Ireland until the end of the year to see what happens. If the situation doesn’t improve i’m off to the states.

But America is different. It has an amazing constitution and freedom is part and parcel of what the country is (Land of the Free). It's also divided 50:50 (or maybe 60:40) between Democrats and Republicans, which means that there's balance and opposition there, unlike in Ireland where the political parties are identical and the fourth estate is moribund.

You're very fortunate to have the US option. I looked up about moving to the US a few days ago and it was overwhelming with everything that's required. I think that's a good idea to give it another few months in Ireland and then consider the US. Australia looks appealing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Gortanna wrote: »
    In certain countries, I would say. As long as there are countries to emigrate to then it should be okay.

Already left - I don't expect that this will go on forever, I think it would be a hard sell to even do a mini lockdown next Christmas. Whats going to suck really hard IMO are the costs resulting from the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

how come your beloved nphet took so long to follow the science regarding masks last year...I recall Half of europe making it mandatory before us.

My "beloved Nphet"?

Even more things which were never said? :pac:

Afaik the WHO originally came out with that guidance based on limited existing research. Research which was shown to be largely incorrect.

Though I wasn't aware it was a competition as to which country brought in mask wearing to help reduce the spread of infection first. But hey no matter

Though I'm surprised the Irish government didn't bring in mask wearing even before the beginning of the Pandemic. That would fit in with the general idea much pushed here that Ireland has had the worsest / harshest / strictest / most totalitarian restrictions / lockdowns / incarcerations in the Universe or wtte...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement