Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

gozunda wrote: »

The UK had a similar sized park gig back in April with about 5000 people which when relative to their population size is actually an incredibly small event.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. 5000 people in the one place is still 5000 people in the one place, irregardless of whether it's in Mexico City or the back arse of Inner Mongolia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It was the first of a series of events which will be scaled up according to the reports. Also that they plan to look a range of factors including audience movement, interaction, duration, crowd control etc.

The UK had a similar sized park gig back in April with about 5000 people which when relative to their population size is actually an incredibly small event.

Population size is utterly irrelevant to the size a test gig should be, and I really shouldn't have to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It was the first of a series of events which will be scaled up according to the reports. Also that they plan to look a range of factors including audience movement, interaction, duration, crowd control etc.

What has population got to do with the size of crowds you have at events?

How is 500 people at an event similar to 5000 because they have a bigger population? Surely the actual capacity of the venue is more apt?

Boggles wrote: »
    No one really gives a flying fúck mate.

You would have been watching it on telly anyway, you can pretend it's on here if it makes you feel better.

An unpleasant, patronising and out of touch response.

You and your fellow travellers are at least consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    An unpleasant, patronising and out of touch response.

You and your fellow travellers are at least consistent.

I just wish you couldn't see quotes from people you have on ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

So Barcelona had 5000 people indoors on March 27th with no social distancing.

On the 10th of June we had 500 outdoors in pods of 4.

Every other country went ahead with hosting their Euro games with fans present.

Tony Holohan claims our plan is "ambitious"

Does anybody genuinely agree with Holohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus talk about cherrypicking your facts.

We only had a lockdown for 2 months before and 4 months after the date you chosen where we had a very, very brief opening.

I can't believe people are calling the British approach a failure, even with their delay they're miles ahead of us in opening. I'd certainly rather be there than here.

I was responding to a claim that we would be in a full level 5 lockdown this Christmas so I don't cherry pick anything. I contrasted where we were last year Vs where we, hopefully will be this year.

And I never called the British approach a failure. Perhaps you confused me with an other poster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. 5000 people in the one place is still 5000 people in the one place, irregardless of whether it's in Mexico City or the back arse of Inner Mongolia.

Well your comment is frankly the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. But hey get upset over a simple an observation that the gig was very small relative to their population. And as is being planned here - it was one event of several events which started small and were scaled up.

Sorry that upset you. :rolleyes:

AdamD wrote: »
    Population size is utterly irrelevant to the size a test gig should be, and I really shouldn't have to point that out.
    the kelt wrote: »

How is 500 people at an event similar to 5000 because they have a bigger population? Surely the actual capacity of the venue is more apt?

Jeez more idiotic comments lol .

Who the fuq said it was relevant to "the size of test gig"??? And to quote I really shouldn't have to point that out!

But hey take it out of context and run away and screaming and hyperventilating whilst you're at it

Question for ya - You all do know (as pointed out btw) - its only one of several gigs which are going to be scaled up? Or shall we go do the hysterics again?

• Advertisement

Well your comment is frankly the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. But hey get upset over a simple an observation that the gig was very small relative to their population. And as is being planned here - it was one event of several events which started small and were scaled up.

Sorry that upset you. :rolleyes:

No one is upset except yourself.

Just a lot of people pointed out that your observation that 5000 is very small relative to 67,000,000 was...well...you can read their posts yourself.

Edit - I see you're ticking them off now while giving out about point scoring or something. Again, no one other than you is upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

We are being embarrassed every single time a Euro 2020 game is on.

Same virus. 20k fans in Seville.

But Ireland has the best medics on Earth clearly.

Seville is filling in for Bilbao, is Bilbao a laughing stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

zackory wrote: »

Yep there's a good few lads in here who would agree with Dr Tony,nphet, gov if they came up and pissed on your front door !

Jeez more diotic comments lol .

Who the fuq it said was relevant to "the size of test gig"??? And to quote I really shouldn't have to point that out!

But hey take it out of context and run away and screaming and hyperventilating whilst you're at it

Question for ya- You all do know (as pointed out btw) - its only one of several gigs which are going to be scaled up? Or shall we go do the hysterics again?

I’m sorry but I think only one poster is in hysterics.

I asked ye a civil question, a civil response may have been more appropriate but hey you could just hold your hand up and say “bit of a brain fart there” but hey knock yourself out there.

Seville and Bilbao are in the same country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The Irish Open golf will have 5000 fans per day from July 01st to July 4th. I guess 180 acres helps :D I wonder will they insist on mask wearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yep there's a good few lads in here who would agree with Dr Tony,nphet, gov if they came up and pissed on your front door !

You are the second person to mention tony holohan pissing, I'm not one to kink shame but it's a worrying trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He probably thinks putting peanut butter on toast is ambitious so our plan is positivity personified to him.

We could/should have completely skipped the piddily little events like that and gone for some of the larger trial events as they serve absolutely no purpose at all. There is plenty of data to show these events can be run successfully, as shown by the rest of europe.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Restrictions are never ending, 'cos variants.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    No one is upset except yourself. Just a lot of people pointed out that your observation that 5000 is very small relative to 67,000,000 was...well...you can read their posts yourself.Edit - I see you're ticking them off now while giving out about point scoring or something. Again, no one other than you is upset.

Are you really trying to claim with a straight face that 5000 is not very small relative to 67000,000?

Which school of mathematics is that?

Btw what are you on about "point scoring"? Not my comment either. So I see we are fully back in the realms of even more stuff which was never said. But no matter. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Seems we turned down UEFA`s off to host games in Dublin.
    I was under the impression they turned down our offer to host them because we would not change our regulations to suit them, and when like Bilbao we would not, they went elsewhere.

I have asked this before but have yet to get an answer. Do those that believe we should have changed our regulations to suit UEFA also believe that if the GAA or the IRFU came calling looking to add a few more thousand spectators in Croke Park or The Aviva believe we should also forget about regulations and do so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Graham wrote: »
    Funny, not something I lie awake at night worrying about.

On the other hand it's somewhat reassuring to discover our pandemic response isn't influenced by a sporting body.

Yeah it’s influenced by a man who has continuously failed his way to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

What are you ****eing on about?

charlie14 wrote: »
    I was under the impression they turned down our offer to host them because we would not change our regulations to suit them, and when like Bilbao we would not, they went elsewhere.

I have asked this before but have yet to get an answer. Do those that believe we should have changed our regulations to suit UEFA also believe that if the GAA or the IRFU came calling looking to add a few more thousand spectators in Croke Park or The Aviva believe we should also forget about regulations and do so ?

The real question should be why are our regulations so ****ing different to everyone elses?

Yes, I believe both the GAA and IRFU should be hammering on the governments door to allow decent numbers into venues. Both sports are hemorrhaging money with the IRFU is real trouble and outdoor events pose very little risk to public health.

When it comes to making jibes about someone making it too the top, I would not look on those at the head of European soccer a great comparison.
    We would not even to go outside our own parish to see how bad a comparison it is.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    What are you ****eing on about?

You know exactly what I’m talking about.

Are you really trying to claim with a straight face that 5000 is not very small relative to 67000,000?

Btw what are you on about "point scoring"? Not my comment either. So I see we are fully back in the realms of even more stuff which was never said. But no matter. ...
    The school of mathematics where 500 people in the iveagh gardens is meaningless pr exercise no matter what way you cut it. Btw public or private ?

Dig up

I’m sorry but I think only one poster is in hysterics.I asked ye a civil question, a civil response may have been more appropriate but hey you could just hold your hand up and say “bit of a brain fart there” but hey knock yourself out there.

Nope. More things which were never said just like the others. But regardless

These were your questions
    the kelt wrote:

This was my comment.

And if you read that carefully - nowhere was it stated or implied that population had anything to do with the size of crowds at events

Therefore I'll hand this back "but hey you could just hold your hand up and say “bit of a brain fart there” but hey knock yourself out there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

You know exactly what I’m talking about.

No I dont, explain to me how hes failed.....

• Advertisement

The 500 person Iveagh gig would have been relevant if it took place at the start of April (Easter)

Instead he we are playing around with a 500 person event when almost everywhere else in Europe and the USA have moved on to events with over 10000 people.

Careful now, with those claims. You stealth-edited. I know it and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the IT on our plan vs the UK
    the period between the first and second AstraZeneca doses is much longer in the UK than in the State, where it has been reduced to eight weeks from 12 weeks
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-ministers-confident-delta-variant-will-not-derail-reopening-plans-1.4593130 i thought most people were still on a 12 week schedule atleast and a lot had been getting AZ had been given a 16 week plan and the Irish gov were only slowly moving to shorter gap and how long is the gap in the UK?

JRant wrote: »
    Yes, I believe both the GAA and IRFU should be hammering on the governments door to allow decent numbers into venues. Both sports are hemorrhaging money with the IRFU is real trouble and outdoor events pose very little risk to public health.

I didn`t ask if it was to do with finance. If the EUFA decision to turn down the offer was based on just the extra gate receipts then they are bigger carpetbaggers than even I thought them to be..

I was asking if the GAA or IRFU just turned up looking for restrictions dropped on stadium numbers for whatever reason, then should we not just also accommodate them too ?

This was my comment.

And if you read that carefully - nowhere was it stated or implied that population had anything to do with the size of crowds at events

Therefore I'll hand this back "but hey you could just hold your hand up and say “bit of a brain fart there” but hey knock yourself out there"

So what you are saying is the UK had a 5000 person test event at roughly the same point in the vaccination process as we are having a 500 person test event.

Speak Now wrote: »
    The Irish Open golf will have 5000 fans per day from July 01st to July 4th. I guess 180 acres helps :D I wonder will they insist on mask wearing?

But do we not have to wait 3 weeks between phases, so measure the results of the 500 person gig after 3 weeks and then relax to the next level?

The school of mathematics where 500 people in the iveagh gardens is meaningless pr exercise no matter what way you cut it. Btw public or private ?

So nothing to do with the comment then?

"Public or private"?

Are you referring to the facilities at the gig or your previous comment?
    Some amount of nervous Nellie's in here afraid of their ****e the country might return to normal who I will hazard a guess are predominantly in long term public, semi state secure employment with a pension to back it up... There is no other valid, transparent reason to defend the indefensible rubbish our government/nphet have been dishing out for the last year.

Who can justify that farce in the iveagh gardens the other night, it proved you can have people outside ! So ****ing what !

This was my comment.

You were responding to a post about the iveagh gardens gig

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117422615&postcount=6204

And said

“The UK had a similar sized park gig back in April with about 5000 people which when relative to their population size is actually an incredibly small event.”

So again how is 500 people a similar sized park gig to 5000 people?

And why even mention it being an incredibly small event relative to their population? Who has ever considered how small an event is based on the countries population?

You know you had a bit of a brain fart cos ye went on the attack and got yourself a warning. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Basque Country has been open for business for a month now I think. 2 million people going about their lives. We’re 2 months behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If 5000 is a small event relative to UK's population, then a packed stadium of 105,000 people is a small event relative to China's population.

Really stellar logic being applied this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Speak Now wrote: »

What-is-Extreme-Zorbing.jpg

Basque Country has been open for business for a month now I think. 2 million people going about their lives. We’re 2 months behind them.

They open up everything just a few weeks after they refused to change their regulations to suit EUFA.
    Looks like they really looked at doing what EUFA were demanding as very dodgy doesn`t it.

So nothing to do with the comment then?

"Public or private"?

Are you referring to the facilities at the gig or your previous comment?

Previous comment, would love to know how many of the Tony,nphet lovers have actual skin in the game and ain't just public,semi state lads on nice salaries with guaranteed pensions.

Very easy to tell everyone that the restrictions and the slowness of them been lifted aren't a problem when you have **** all to worry about .

So simple question public or private ?

You were responding to a post about the iveagh gardens gig

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117422615&postcount=6204
    And said
    “The UK had a similar sized park gig back in April with about 5000 people which when relative to their population size is actually an incredibly small event.”

And why even mention it being an incredibly small event relative to their population? Who has ever considered how small an event is based on the countries population?

You know you had a bit of a brain fart cos ye went on the attack and got yourself a warning. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about.

Why mention it? Eh? Why not? Is permission required?

The second bit re " Who has ever considered"
    if you check - firmly belongs to things never said.

Considering the number of daft comments complaining about the size of that gig - despite our nearest neighbour also starting out with small gigs - I'd say its absolutely relevant. And yes Similar size = small!

This bit.

"You know you had a bit of a brain fart cos ye went on the attack and got yourself a warning. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about"

Lol. Funny you first claimed i had a brain fart because according to yourself you couldn't work it out. So yes this is indeed yours. "a bit of a brain fart there. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about"

But hey no matter. ..

I didn`t ask if it was to do with finance. If the EUFA decision to turn down the offer was based on just the extra gate receipts then they are bigger carpetbaggers than even I thought them to be..

I was asking if the GAA or IRFU just turned up looking for restrictions dropped on stadium numbers for whatever reason, then should we not just also accommodate them too ?

Huh?

I'm pretty sure looking for the restrictions to be eased on stadium numbers for financial reasons falls under your "whatever reason" umbrella.

• Advertisement

If 5000 is a small event relative to UK's population, then a packed stadium of 105,000 people is a small event relative to China's population.

Really stellar logic being applied this evening!

LOL, and if you continue to apply that logic, Galway should start with 50 person test gigs and castletownbere 5.

Why mention it? Eh? Why not? Is permission required?

Considering the number of daft comments complaining about the size of that gig - despite our nearest neighbour also starting out with small gigs - I'd say its absolutely relevant. And yes Similar size = small!

This bit.

"You know you had a bit of a brain fart cos ye went on the attack and got yourself a warning. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about"

Lol. Funny you first claimed i had a brain fart because according to yourself you couldn't work it out. So yes this is indeed yours. "a bit of a brain fart there. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about"

But hey no matter. ..[/QUOTE]

That’s all over the shop, you keep saying “things that were never said when I’m actually asking you questions”

So as I asked a civil question previously as yes I couldn’t work out as per below.

Surely the actual capacity of the venue is more apt?

It’s ok mate, it was a silly comment to make, it happens, relax, I genuinely thought it was a typo but then ye just started digging.

LOL, and if you continue to apply that logic, Galway should start with 50 person test gigs and castletownbere 5.

:rolleyes:

You may want to check - that irrelevancey was bizarrely posited by the previous poster not me.

So neither implied nor stated. But no matter. See previous comments ...

To quote Albert Einstein "it's all relative, baby"

:rolleyes:

You may want to check - that irrelevancey was bizarrely posited by the previous poster not me.

So nither implied nor stated. But no matter. See previous comments ...

You equated population size to test event size.

Not Tony Holohan

Not NPHET

Not the WHO.

You came up with the silly notion, all on your own.

You were rightly called out for it being dumb and hours later you are still digging the hole.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement