Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

the kelt wrote: »
    You were responding to a post about the iveagh gardens gig

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117422615&postcount=6204

And said

“The UK had a similar sized park gig back in April with about 5000 people which when relative to their population size is actually an incredibly small event.”

So again how is 500 people a similar sized park gig to 5000 people?

And why even mention it being an incredibly small event relative to their population? Who has ever considered how small an event is based on the countries population?

You know you had a bit of a brain fart cos ye went on the attack and got yourself a warning. It’s ok, we all make them now and again, nothing to get worked up about.

Maybe the 5000 were from Lilliput ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Previous comment, would love to know how many of the Tony,nphet lovers have actual skin in the game and ain't just public,semi state lads on nice salaries with guaranteed pensions.

Very easy to tell everyone that the restrictions and the slowness of them been lifted aren't a problem when you have **** all to worry about .

So simple question public or private ?

OK paddy just because you're oddly determined to make out that everyone you disagree with here - is a
    Nervous Nellie ... afraid of their ****e the country might return to ormal who I will hazard a guess are predominantly in long term public, semi state secure employment with a pension to back it up...

I run my own business. So yeah private. And plenty to worry about.

And not one of your "public,semi state lads on nice salaries with guaranteed pensions"

Sorry to burst that bubble.

And yourself? Salaried? PUP, other?

Ps. Dont have to answer if you do not wish to - to keep asking others for that kind of thing is not cool imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

JRant wrote: »
    Huh?

I'm pretty sure looking for the restrictions to be eased on stadium numbers for financial reasons falls under your "whatever reason" umbrella.

Not clear what you are saying.
    Did EUFA turn down the offers from Ireland and Bilbao on the basis of gate receipts, and that we were expected to change regulation for EUFA finances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yes, I believe both the GAA and IRFU should be hammering on the governments door to allow decent numbers into venues. Both sports are hemorrhaging money with the IRFU is real trouble and outdoor events pose very little risk to public health.

I genuinely don’t have any huge issues with us turning down the euros games to be honest as things stand but agree that home games for the irfu and the gaa should have decent numbers allowed into venues as quickly as possible.

They want us to have an outdoor summer and holiday at home, fair enough imho but let’s give us more reasons to stay at home so.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

charlie14 wrote: »
    Did EUFA turn down the offers from Ireland and Bilbao on the basis of gate receipts, and that we were expected to change regulation for EUFA finances ?

UEFA removed Dublin as a venue because our government refused to allow a minimum number of fans into games. The IRFU, and to a lesser extent the GAA, are in financial trouble because the government refused to allow fans into games.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't think you should be talking on behalf of an organisation than you can't even spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I have asked this before but have yet to get an answer. Do those that believe we should have changed our regulations to suit UEFA also believe that if the GAA or the IRFU came calling looking to add a few more thousand spectators in Croke Park or The Aviva believe we should also forget about regulations and do so ?

I don’t think we should change our regulations to suit UEFA

I think we should change them because they are absolutely ridiculous

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't think you should be talking on behalf of an organisation than you can't even spell.
    You may hold them in more esteem than I do, but either way I don`t believe a visit from a representative of the grammar police makes a lot of difference either way. It`s not as If you were confused as to who I was referring to is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You may hold them in more esteem than I do, but either way I don`t believe a visit from a representative of the grammar police makes a lot of difference either way. It`s not as If you were confused as to who I was referring to is it ?

You have passed a few comments about the organisation but you don't even know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You have passed a few comments about the organisation but you don't even know who they are.

Does the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Previous comment, would love to know how many of the Tony,nphet lovers have actual skin in the game and ain't just public,semi state lads on nice salaries with guaranteed pensions.

Very easy to tell everyone that the restrictions and the slowness of them been lifted aren't a problem when you have **** all to worry about .

So simple question public or private ?
    Self-employed, no pension.

Working throughout for the same as I would have made on the PUP. Which was stupid, in hindsight - should have taken the year off, but here we are.
    Certainly wouldn't describe myself as a "Tony/NPHET-lover", but I'm sure there are posters who would, given my reluctance to push up the case numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

People are missing my original point about the Euros. Its not about football. It's not about the tournament. It's not about the economy. It's not about sightseeing in various cities, standing up to a corrupt organisation or whatever other sh1te was spouted.

It's simply symbolic of how far the rest of Europe is ahead of Ireland with regards lifting restrictions - countries with similar vaccination rates to Ireland.

That is the point I was making.

UEFA removed Dublin as a venue because our government refused to allow a minimum number of fans into games. The IRFU, and to a lesser extent the GAA, are in financial trouble because the government refused to allow fans into games.

So did UEFA turn down the offer from both Ireland and Bilbao for reasons of finance or do you not know ?
    European countries were playing their various leagues in empty stadiums, so why the sudden change from EUFA in the demand for attendances ?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    People are missing my original point about the Euros. Its not about football. It's not about the tournament. It's not about the economy. It's not about sightseeing in various cities, standing up to a corrupt organisation or whatever other sh1te was spouted.

It's simply symbolic of how far the rest of Europe is ahead of Ireland with regards lifting restrictions - countries with similar vaccination rates to Ireland.

So what ?

Can you name all these countries in Europe that apparently are easing their restrictions simultaneously ?

So did UEFA turn down the offer from both Ireland and Bilbao for reasons of finance or do you not know ?
    European countries were playing their various leagues in empty stadiums, so why the sudden change from EUFA in the demand for attendances ?

I just told you the reason why.

Also, European leagues were gradually allowing more fans into games while we were still wetting the bed even thinking about allowing outdoor dining. The champions league final had ~20k. Premier league games had increased number of fans by the season end, same for Spain, Germany, etc, etc.

Comments like that always make me think of this from a few years back and make me laugh because somethings never change ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056526338/1/#post76668346

That said if your only reply is to have a go at someone's spelling - I think you've lost the argument tbf.

No more a text book knowledge of them than any other sporting organisation, but I fail to see what that has to do with questioning why they turned down what Ireland and Bilbao offered them

So what ?

Can you name all these countries in Europe that apparently are easing their restrictions simultaneously ?

Again, things that were never said. How can you consistently not understand the points people are making?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Comments like that always make me think of this from a few years back and make me laugh ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056526338/1/#post76668346

That said if your only reply is to have a go at someone's spelling - I think you've lost the argument tbf.

Hehe, how's that event crowd size relative to population size working out for you?
    This might help.

https://youtu.be/e4XFUc6175k

By the way, anyone that thinks they've "won" an argument on the internet isn't doing it right.

I just told you the reason why.

Also, European leagues were gradually allowing more fans into games while we were still wetting the bed even thinking about allowing outdoor dining. The champions league final had ~20k. Premier league games had increased number of fans by the season end, same for Spain, Germany, etc, etc.

Not what I asked you.
    Did UEFA turn down both Ireland and Bilbao based on finances from gate receipts or do you not know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://www.bbc.com/sport/57473711

The tournament, starting on 28 June, will begin with 50% ground capacity.

That will then rise throughout the tournament before the two finals on the 15,000-capacity Centre Court.

Wembley will also be able to host matches at 50% capacity - around 45,000 - for the knockout stages of Euro 2020.

Again, things that were never said. How can you consistently not understand the points people are making?

So effectively there is no simultaneous lifting of restrictions in line with reopening European wide.
    We are just the worstest in Europe because we would not change our regulations to suit the demands of UEFA.
    Yeah that makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

Hehe, how's that event crowd size relative to population size working out for you?
    This might help. ...

By the way, anyone that thinks they've "won" an argument on the internet isn't doing it right.

I think your previous comment covers that tbf.

I'll leave you at it

I think your previous comment covers that tbf.

I'll leave you at it

:)

Just wanted to add a little 'perspective' on your previous comments.

• Advertisement

Not what I asked you.
    Did UEFA turn down both Ireland and Bilbao based on finances from gate receipts or do you not know ?

We. Wouldn't. Allow. Fans. Into. Games.

The gate receipts are miniscule compared to the money generated by the tv rights.

So effectively there is no simultaneous lifting of restrictions in line with reopening European wide.
    We are just the worstest in Europe because we would not change our regulations to suit the demands of UEFA.
    Yeah that makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

Honestly, what are you on about?

We. Wouldn't. Allow. Fans. Into. Games.

The gate receipts are miniscule compared to the money generated by the tv rights.

We Would Not Allow The Numbers Demanded By UEFA Because Of Our Regulations.

So you really do not know if UEFA`s decision to turn down what was offered by both Ireland and Bilbao was due to gate receipts or not.

Personally I thought the reasons they stated for doing so were arrogant and wishy washy.

We Would Not Allow The Numbers Demanded By UEFA Because Of Our Regulations.

So you really do not know if UEFA`s decision to turn down what was offered by both Ireland and Bilbao was due to gate receipts or not.

Personally I thought the reasons they stated for doing so were arrogant and wishy washy.

The government wouldn't commit to ANY number of fans into a match and this was the reason UEFA pulled Dublin.

:)

Just wanted to add a little 'perspective' on your previous comments.

Yes indeed the 'perspective' hereabouts ;)

• Advertisement

The government wouldn't commit to ANY number of fans into a match and this was the reason UEFA pulled Dublin.

Really surprised at that seeing as Alexsander Ceferin Uefa President said it would be able to " guarantee a safe and festive environment" and they switched venues "to allow fans to attend the games after a year not being able to watch live football in stadiums"

Very arrogant statement from a football organisation and a worthless "guarantee" in that they believed their knowledge of a pandemic somehow trumped that of a country or a city health authority on safety and numbers allowed

Uefa had neither the expertise or the right to make those calls and expect their terms to be accepted imho.

Yes indeed the 'perspective' hereabouts ;)

LOL.

Yeah, UEFA caused that poor chap to have a heart attack. Christ almighty and you've the neck to criticize others for spouting nonsense.

Nothing to do with it. It was the strong arming of the Danish players into the Hobson’s choice of restarting the match Saturday night or early Sunday just to protect the precious schedules. UEFA could then come out and claim “the players choose to restart”.

And yet somehow it’s us who are embarrassing not UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Around and around we go, where it stops noboby knows.

I've never been a fan of ignore lists, as I think it's not a good idea to block out opposing views, but my god, I'm starting to think it would make catching up on previous pages far easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Wimbledon finals will have full capacity crowds - good to hear.

Concerning about the July 19 extension, as we all know that will be August 19 when 7-19 comes closer, then September, October .... November ah winter, full lockdown.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Wimbledon finals will have full capacity crowds - good to hear.

Concerning about the July 19 extension, as we all know that will be August 19 when 7-19 comes closer, then September, October .... November ah winter, full lockdown.

Restrictions thread - the echo chamber hyping the hysteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Haven't been on these threads that much the last week so maybe it's been covered already, but what exactly are the point of the trial events they are running at the moment? Specifically the concert in Iveagh Gardens last week has me baffled.

There were no tests before or after the concert, people were socially distant in pods of up to 4 i think, no alcohol was being served and people were asked to wear masks. What exactly do they plan on finding out from this? There have probably been more people in the Iveagh Gardens every other night of the week than there was for the concert.
    It's a test of what will be needed to manage such events in the short term and tests are not part of that nor are they likely to be. As they go on you'll see higher numbers and more indoor versions. An immediate pilot test with 40K inside Croke Park or a half full 3 Arena is not a good learning exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Exactly, I can never understand why youd block someone unless they're abusive. All it does is stifle debate.

Also, we wont have a winter lockdown, there'll be no further lockdowns, the vaccination programme is progressing along very strongly despite the obvious difficulties caused by the cyber attack. The difficulty at the moment (particularly experienced by the UK due to their system of vaccine admin) is the mop up of those awaiting second dose or even their first dose. We a significant amount of our pop has 2 doses so should protect us fair well and every day we will be doing more. People returning to stadiums, students returning to college theatres, pubs and restaurants to have indoor dining shortly......the only way is up!!

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a test of what will be needed to manage such events in the short term and tests are not part of that nor are they likely to be. As they go on you'll see higher numbers and more indoor versions. An immediate pilot test with 40K inside Croke Park or a half full 3 Arena is not a good learning exercise.

For a pilot test to be of any use it needs to have some grounding in reality. Unless what we saw at that gig is how they envisage gigs/events going ahead it was completely pointless. 10k in CP would be easily managed and would only use an eight of capacity. They would have learned a lot more doing something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We are being embarrassed every single time a Euro 2020 game is on.
    No one? Keep thinking that pal. You've a month of this to deal with.
    ecoli3136 wrote: »
    An unpleasant, patronising and out of touch response.

You and your fellow travellers are at least consistent.

Jaysus lads if we want to watch the entire Euros red faced that's up to ye.

I'd call 917 passes and 85% possession zero goals slightly embarrassing, but I'm sure the Spaniards will shrug it off, probably too busy laughing at Ireland to care actually.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with it. It was the strong arming of the Danish players into the Hobson’s choice of restarting the match Saturday night or early Sunday just to protect the precious schedules. UEFA could then come out and claim “the players choose to restart”.

The Danish team could have pulled out of the tournament if they wanted. Absolutely nothing stopping them from doing that and IMO is probably what they should have done. A lot of the players involved will need some time to recover from what they went through.

The Danish team could have pulled out of the tournament if they wanted. Absolutely nothing stopping them from doing that and IMO is probably what they should have done. A lot of the players involved will need some time to recover from what they went through.

Or UEFA could have declared the game a draw, everyone would have thought it fair, get the crisis management team into the players and staff and take it from there.

Being bounced into making that decision while their star player was just being taken to ICU is the UEFA way.

Similar in a way to how they tried to bounce countries into decisions on crowds before they were ready.

Boggles wrote: »
    Or UEFA could have declared the game a draw, everyone would have thought it fair, get the crisis management team into the players and staff and take it from there.

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that approach either.

Being bounced into making that decision while their star player was just being taken to ICU is the UEFA way.

Similar in a way to how they tried to bounce countries into decisions on crowds before they were ready.

I don't think they covered themselves in glory after the incident with the game being allowed to restart. However, it was UEFA guidelines that made sure their were doctors, medics, ambulance services at the pitch side ready to assist. They do a lot wrong IMO but also a lot right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I really really hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

The most important element of it is that we have not stepped up to the plate and fulfilled our obligations when nearly every other city has.

I doubt anyone in Europe has given Dublin not hosting much thought.

It barely seems to feature as a discussion point here as yesterday media focussed on "terrified" locals not wanting Electric Picnic to go ahead :rolleyes:

What money any host city is going to make doesn't matter.

It is about doing what we are capable of and shouldering our share of responsibilities.

Generally we have a younger, healthier and wealthier population then the rest of Europe with a comparatively well performing vaccination programme.

This was known in Mar/Apr this year when we pulled out.

Football tournaments are a great symbol of international cooperation and we have missed probably our only chance to be a part of that.

A shame really.

The most important element of it is that we have not stepped up to the plate and fulfilled our obligations when nearly every other city has.

I doubt anyone in Europe has given Dublin not hosting much thought.

It barely seems to feature as a discussion point here as yesterday media focussed on "terrified" locals not wanting Electric Picnic to go ahead :rolleyes:

What money any host city is going to make doesn't matter.

It is about doing what we are capable of and shouldering our share of responsibilities.

Generally we have a younger, healthier and wealthier population then the rest of Europe with a comparatively well performing vaccination programme.

This was known in Mar/Apr this year when we pulled out.

Football tournaments are a great symbol of international cooperation and we have missed probably our only chance to be a part of that.

A shame really.

UEFA pulled out.

Boggles wrote: »
    UEFA pulled out.
    UEFA pulled out because the muppets in the government couldnt guarantee that we could hold matches with 25% capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm actually very impressed by our Government's refusal to bow to UEFA pressure.

UEFA do not give a single fvck about public safety. They would have the games in packed stadia at the height of the pandemic if they could. Corrupt oligarch scumbags, only worried about money. Fvck UEFA.

In 1985 they insisted that a European cup final go ahead after 39 people were killed in rioting in the stadium. The game kicked off while there were still dead bodies being taken from the stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement