Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Already left - I don't expect that this will go on forever, I think it would be a hard sell to even do a mini lockdown next Christmas. Whats going to suck really hard IMO are the costs resulting from the lockdown.

I'm not so sure. A precedent has been set with lockdowns and they've become normalised. I don't think it's realistic to expect that there won't be calls for a lockdown in Ireland next winter if hospitals are overwhelmed, as they are every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gortanna wrote: »

You're very fortunate to have the US option. I looked up about moving to the US a few days ago and it was overwhelming with everything that's required. I think that's a good idea to give it another few months in Ireland and then consider the US. Australia looks appealing for me.

Of course i’ll be waiting until at least the end of the year before i decide to see what happens here. I have family over there and before this virus took hold i was over and back few times a year. But if it transpires non essential travel will never resume i’ll have to move there. Thankfully in the position to do so.

The vaccines work so in reality things should be different later in the year, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

But America is different. It has an amazing constitution and freedom is part and parcel of what the country is (Land of the Free). It's also divided 50:50 (or maybe 60:40) between Democrats and Republicans, which means that there's balance and opposition there, unlike in Ireland where the political parties are identical and the fourth estate is moribund.

You're very fortunate to have the US option. I looked up about moving to the US a few days ago and it was overwhelming with everything that's required. I think that's a good idea to give it another few months in Ireland and then consider the US. Australia looks appealing for me.

Yeah . I’ve been seriously considering my options too. My paternal grandmother was born in New York and had an American passport till her death 8 years ago (although she’d lived in Ireland from age of 10 years old) . I wonder would this hold weight in my favour to attain a visa to USA.

I would definitely consider Texas or Florida as ideal from a restriction free and less government interference in their citizens lives. Very much unlike Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

prunudo wrote: »
    And what was the level of restrictions they reintroduced. Because last time I checked when Germany was supposedly under severe restrictions, they still had far more services open than we've had for the last 4 months.

They had indeed, and much higher numbers than we had which resulted in them introducing their "emergency brake" rule on 24th April.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yeah . I’ve been seriously considering my options too. My paternal grandmother was born in New York and had an American passport till her death 8 years ago (although she’d lived in Ireland from age of 10 years old) . I wonder would this hold weight in my favour to attain a visa to USA.

I would definitely consider Texas or Florida as ideal from a restriction free and less government interference in their citizens lives. Very much unlike Ireland.

It'd be worth looking into, I think.

Yes, Texas, Florida, South Dakota, maybe Alabama. Neil Oliver put it best when he described the US as a country made up of many different countries. So if you find the state you're in isn't the right fit, or is no longer for you, you can go to another one (I'm being a bit simplistic because it's not as easy as popping from state to state, but it is possible to do at least).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

I'm not so sure. A precedent has been set with lockdowns and they've become normalised. I don't think it's realistic to expect that there won't be calls for a lockdown in Ireland next winter if hospitals are overwhelmed, as they are every year.

I fully expect there to be calls for a lockdown - and I expect them to be roundly denounced as lunatic fringe voices. I also expect that the mask and idiotic spacing rules will likely hang on far longer in Ireland than they are needed for.

Disclaimer: I wore a mask back when it was recommended that you didn't, and I don't like crowds at the best of times.

I fully expect there to be calls for a lockdown - and I expect them to be roundly denounced as lunatic fringe voices. I also expect that the mask and idiotic spacing rules will likely hang on far longer in Ireland than they are needed for.

Disclaimer: I wore a mask back when it was recommended that you didn't, and I don't like crowds at the best of times.

I don't see them being roundly denounced, unfortunately. There's just no opposition, unfortunately, be it in the media or in politics. Lockdowns are extremely popular. I don't see NPHET being disbanded either.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

charlie14 wrote: »
    The level of vaccinations which reopening is based on. Same as everywhere else.
    Especially when the 14 day data was available from the U.K.in relation to their first phase of reopening.

Yes but why the sudden change by NPHET? Or the difference between what politicians were saying and what actually happened?

They probably think it was great to give us a pleasant surprise in the announcement when all it does is cast doubt on everthing they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Already left - I don't expect that this will go on forever, I think it would be a hard sell to even do a mini lockdown next Christmas. Whats going to suck really hard IMO are the costs resulting from the lockdown.

We will still have an exhaust valve of emigration to any other country outside of Ireland who didn’t insist on a cavalier & kamikaze style approach to concerns around its economy. (Basically anywhere)

Those left will of course be living in the 3rd most indebted nation in the globe with no improvements in infrastructure to show for it and the associated austerity measures required for the country to continue to service its eye watering debt

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A u turn on June's reopening is a sad reality and how damaging will that be for everyone

Big Preparations are going into some pubs for the June 7th outdoor reopening

• Advertisement

We will still have an exhaust valve of emigration to any other country outside of Ireland who didn’t insist on a cavalier & kamikaze style approach to concerns around its economy. (Basically anywhere)

Those left will of course be living in the 3rd most indebted nation in the globe with no improvements in infrastructure to show for it and the associated austerity measures required for the country to continue to service its eye watering debt

Still bound to the neo-liberal economic shibboleths I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I don't see them being roundly denounced, unfortunately. There's just no opposition, unfortunately, be it in the media or in politics. Lockdowns are extremely popular. I don't see NPHET being disbanded either.
    I've been reading back through the thread and was happy enough to let you indulge in these weird dystopian fantasies until now. However, what you've said there is just complete bull****. Popular with who exactly?
    As for your previous posts where you seem convinced that we are in for lockdowns indefinitely - basing this assertion on some UK government document and the fact that countries are ordering more vaccines for next year. Have you ever heard the phrase "fail to prepare, prepare to fail". Of course all governments are looking at strategies going forward, and are going to have contingency plans in place in the very unlikely scenario that they are needed. It would be irresponsible of them otherwise. I think you're reading too much into some plans which will never come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A u turn on June's reopening is a sad reality and how damaging will that be for everyone

Big Preparations are going into some pubs for the June 7th outdoor reopening

Any source or link that they are doing a u-turn on the June reopening? Why would they announce a plan for June and a couple of days later change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any source or link that they are doing a u-turn on the June reopening? Why would they announce a plan for June and a couple of days later change it?

That magic line of

'The following will considered for June subject to maintaing progress of the virus'

I'm not saying it will happen but the danger is there

I've been reading back through the thread and was happy enough to let you indulge in these weird dystopian fantasies until now. However, what you've said there is just complete bull****. Popular with who exactly?
    As for your previous posts where you seem convinced that we are in for lockdowns indefinitely - basing this assertion on some UK government document and the fact that countries are ordering more vaccines for next year. Have you ever heard the phrase "fail to prepare, prepare to fail". Of course all governments are looking at strategies going forward, and are going to have contingency plans in place in the very unlikely scenario that they are needed. It would be irresponsible of them otherwise. I think you're reading too much into some plans which will never come to pass.

Results of surveys suggest that lockdowns, or the government response, if your prefer, which is continuous lockdown, are popular.

Do you think there will be flu lockdowns from now on? Is it realistic to believe that hospitals will be allowed to be overrun when the lockdown option is there?

Covid marshals are being recruited in the UK. They will be tasked with ensuring compliance with measures. They are going to be given a contract and put to work. It would be different if the government had a plan to recruit covid marshals if necessary. But they're actually being recruited and will be put to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

dalyboy wrote: »
    Why would they be manky?

There was a new invention called a washing machine. It actually cleans the clothes including jumpers. It’s amazing.

I've heard of this new invention - it also works on reusable masks. So my point still stands: you were talking about how manky masks were, would that not also apply to your jumpers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That magic line of

'The following will considered for June subject to maintaing progress of the virus'

So nothing has changed since the announcement... Great to know.

Honestly some people pick out the super negative worst case scenario in everything

Results of surveys suggest that lockdowns, or the government response, if your prefer, which is continuous lockdown, are popular.
    Do you have a link to these? I haven't seen these surverys but there is a big difference from people being satisified with the governments reponse (which includes multiple actions) and lockdowns being "extremely popular" with the public - a conclusion which you seem to be inferring from these surveys.
    Do you think there will be flu lockdowns from now on? Is it realistic to believe that hospitals will be allowed to be overrun when the lockdown option is there?
    No I don't. There has never been before, and just because we have had lockdowns in a time of national crisis during a global pandemic does not normalise them. Even the WHO are stating that lockdowns are a last-resort measure for a pandemic.
    Covid marshals are being recruited in the UK. They will be tasked with ensuring compliance with measures. They are going to be given a contract and put to work. It would be different if the government had a plan to recruit covid marshals if necessary. But they're actually being recruited and will be put to work.
    Is there a link to this story, as I have only seen the plan for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

That magic line of

So no source or link,just you as usual spouting nonsense, of course if cases spiral out of control they will slow down the lifting of restrictions,that is hardly hard to comprehend.And if that did happen you would prob be happy because you could come on here to whinge and complain

B2021M wrote: »
    Yes but why the sudden change by NPHET? Or the difference between what politicians were saying and what actually happened?

They probably think it was great to give us a pleasant surprise in the announcement when all it does is cast doubt on everthing they say.

What were these sudden changes or the difference between what politicians were saying ?
    The politicians and NPHET have always stressed, and still are, how important it is to keep numbers low. Politically the message was that vaccines were the way out of this yoyoing in and out of lockdown.

I cannot see where anyone would get the idea from that NPHET suddenly decide out of the blue to give us a pleasant surprise.
    NPHET primarily follow the data when it comes to recommendations. I cannot see how some are finding that so difficult to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i bet he does one liners picked up on articles not worth the pixel they are typed on, yet enough to spin into conspiracy theories for some. come Monday lockdown is finished as far as restrictions go people will be able to spin to NI or travel round country so where getting there, as said were still on tiptoeing approach but as more get vaccinated should see us getting fully open come summer.

That magic line of

The only two reasons I can see for the June 7th. date being delayed is a significant rise in cases, or a significant drop in vaccines being delivered as promised.
    The second we have little control of. The first is up to ourselves.

Do you have a link to these? I haven't seen these surverys but there is a big difference from people being satisified with the governments reponse (which includes multiple actions) and lockdowns being "extremely popular" with the public - a conclusion which you seem to be inferring from these surveys.

No I don't. There has never been before, and just because we have had lockdowns in a time of national crisis during a global pandemic does not normalise them. Even the WHO are stating that lockdowns are a last-resort measure for a pandemic.

Covid marshals: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-marshals-could-place-until-24003205

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hertfordshire-county-council-councils-government-england-hertfordshire-b932048.html

As I say, I agree that planning is important, but the marshals are going to be put to work. That's different from something like 'plan for the recruitment of marshals if necessary'. That's why I don't buy the statement by Jim McManus that's linked to in the article. They are recruiting them to put them to work.

I can't link to all the surveys, but the results of YouGov surveys have consistently shown strong support for lockdowns, and even harsher lockdowns.

I think they will be used from now on. I can't see the government allowing hospitals to be overrun every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No, but they do for another year or two. They've become normalised.

...but you think they'll be here every winter from now on. No one else suggests this is going to happen.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So depressing, just really dawning on me that this is forever ...

It's not though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Covid marshals: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-marshals-could-place-until-24003205

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hertfordshire-county-council-councils-government-england-hertfordshire-b932048.html

As I say, I agree that planning is important, but the marshals are going to be put to work. That's different from something like 'plan for the recruitment of marshals if necessary'. That's why I don't buy the statement by Jim McManus that's linked to in the article. They are recruiting them to put them to work.

I can't link to all the surveys, but the results of YouGov surveys have consistently shown strong support for lockdowns, and even harsher lockdowns.

I think they will be used from now on. I can't see the government allowing hospitals to be overrun every year.

Do you even read your own links?

From the first
    But Mr McManus said hiring Covid marshals was "not indicative of any increases in restrictions from July 2021 onwards".

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you even read your own links?

From the first

I did. I said I don't buy his statement. They are being recruited and will be put to work. That's different from making plans to recruit them if necessary.

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...but you think they'll be here every winter from now on. No one else suggests this is going to happen.

In certain countries. Why would the Irish Government allow hospitals to be overrun every year when they can use lockdown?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I did. I said I don't buy his statement. They are being recruited and will be put to work. That's different from making plans to recruit them if necessary.

Ah right

Good love emigrating

• Advertisement

Christ, if that's the evidence for further lockdowns, I can rest assured. Prudent planning dressed up as speculation by two papers who are no strangers to sensationalism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement