Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

B2021M wrote: »
    Confidence in what information government ministers feed to the public via the media. Or else confidence in the advice government are receiving.

If a government has information they wish to inform the country on, they generally do that more direct than feeding the public via the media. Government ministers on the other hand have not been unknown to feed the media stories for their own reasons.
    The only way the public can judge if the advice a government acted on was correct is from the results.

S_D wrote: »
    This is kind of in line with the re opening of mass outdoor sporting gatherings for July then too I guess, as the UK are doing it now, and were around 2 months behind

If the data stacks up for them, and all things being equal, I would not see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

charlie14 wrote: »
    You sound as if you believe the only decision made regarding opening up in stages involved nothing more than a pin and a calendar.

No on the contrary.. our world class universities are bursting at the seams with world class mathematicians who crunched many numbers and produced without a doubt a model that rivaled anything else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol :D Even more stuff which was never said

Link to the comments where I explicitly and "constantly state" "follow the science"? I believe I made that statement just once in relationton to specific research

It may come as somewhat of a surprise but Science is not some intransmutable monolith that primitive savages bow down to. Its a
    constantly evolving body of knowledge which is
    rigorously challenged by other scientists on an ongoing basis. Hence advice on masks etc

Btw here exactly are the references to Nphet which would indicate any apologist opinion towards them. Do Nphet have a role in managing the pandemic? Yes they do. Is it likley they get absolutely everything right? I doubt it. Are they some secret cabal who are intent on locking us up forever? Despite what some like to believe - no they're not.

But nothing like making stuff up - for the craic like ...

Quick question paddy - do you hold confirmed anti science opinions on all subjects or just the pandemic?

No I follow the science on everything but not retrospectively to defend our governments/nphet complete ineptness

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    No on the contrary.. our world class universities are bursting at the seams with world class mathematicians who crunched many numbers and produced without a doubt a model that rivaled anything else in the world.

No idea what that is about. If it is in reference to modelling figures, do you know anywhere that got them right on anything in relation to this virus ?

If that is what you are referring to, I`m still at a lose as to what it has to do with vaccination levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Penfailed wrote: »
    No.

Interesting logic from you a few weeks back when you had many golf clubs going into liquidation around about now. Also the logic from a few weeks or months before that when you stated that this summer would be the same as last summer. Not a great track record.

What different about this summer? Travel fines and hotel prisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

off topic but looking at google maps the border is surrell

Basically a lot of bad country roads but walk a few yards and you're in a different country. Lots of farms/fields in both the Republic and the North

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No I follow the science on everything but not retrospectively
    to defend our governments/nphet complete ineptness

Atm we are well on the way towards achieving full vaccination for at least one dose by the middle of the summer.

And whether you're a fan of the government / Nphet "retrospectively" is largely irrelevant. To-date 2 important goals have been achieved - ie low infection rate / low death rate (especially. compared to our nearest neighbour and many other EU countries)

We are now in the process of rolling back restrictions because of where we are at with the current low rate of infection and the vaccination programme.

There's been plenty of missteps. I doubt anyone would disagree. It doesn't mean that science itself isn’t subject to change or considered fixed or that all decisions made during the pandemic were purely scientific.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    off topic but looking at google maps the border is surrell

Basically a lot of bad country roads but walk a few yards and you're in a different country. Lots of farms/fields in both the Republic and the North

There is a part of Monaghan that if you wish to enter you either cross through fields, or go through Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

charlie14 wrote: »
    You didn`t know that reopening, not just here, but practically everywhere was based on vaccines ?

No I did not know that. It might be forgiven though, considering the messaging and stats being bandied about were pretty much the same as the two reopenings sans vaccine. Vaccine figures and projected effects of vaccines took a backseat in discussions about easing of restrictions.

There was plenty of early evidence from other countries about how successful the vaccines we are administering here are.

It’s really baffling that you believe it was clear as day that all we were waiting on was data from 14 days after UK first phase. I mean - there’s not much wrong with that plan if that was their plan, even if I may think it still too cautious - but that’s imo only.

Perhaps there are reports from government sources or NPHET that say this was their main metric for reopening, I can’t find any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

All construction returns today, spoke to a few construction workers in the substantial Q at a local deli over the past few weeks whilst getting their Breakfast Rolls, they were all terribly excited about "officially" returning to sites on the 4th May :) profound BS construction ever really closed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dempo1 wrote: »
    All construction returns today, spoke to a few construction workers in the substantial Q at a local deli over the past few weeks whilst getting their Breakfast Rolls, they were all terribly excited about "officially" returning to sites on the 4th May :)profound BS construction ever really closed.

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Dempo1 wrote: »
    All construction returns today, spoke to a few construction workers in the substantial Q at a local deli over the past few weeks whilst getting their Breakfast Rolls, they were all terribly excited about "officially" returning to sites on the 4th May :) profound BS construction ever really closed.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Careful now.

:pac:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNewsN/status/1387501790346715136

I wonder if they realise that their cult like behaviour and utter cringe only serve to decrease vaccination uptake.

I wonder if they realise that their cult like behaviour and utter cringe only serve to decrease vaccination uptake.

Stop sharing it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

WTF did I just watch? :eek:

Cult like behaviour? Its a poor attempt at a humorous topical song in the style of SNL.

If you look for offence everywhere you are sure to find it, even when it doesn't exist

Cult like behaviour? Its a poor attempt at a humorous topical song in the style of SNL.

If you look for offence everywhere you are sure to find it, even when it doesn't exist

Jeez sorry mr commissar of humor - I shall dutifully find SNL amusing from now on.

I said it's CRINGE, not that its offensive. Plenty of these 'take your vax now' clips, tweets, videos, campaigns etc are about as amusing as stepping in dog turd and have the opposite effect especially with the younger cohorts.

As for the 'cult like' behaviour - just search youtube for 'wear a mask' song - its page after page of weirdos virtue signalling. Here's a particularly hilariously bad one for your SNL level humor:

Just wear a maaaaaaassssssskkkkk

I said it's CRINGE, not that its offensive.

You said a bit more than that didn't you?

A. I have no idea what it has got to do with this thread.

B. Didn't think that "song" could actually be made worse

C. Your claim that it will decrease vaccinate uptake is based on what?

I mean if the deciding factor on whether you take a vaccine or not is based on that shíté, that's probably the least of your worries.

You said a bit more than that didn't you?

A. I have no idea what it has got to do with this thread.

B. Didn't think that "song" could actually be made worse

C. Your claim that it will decrease vaccinate uptake is based on what?

I mean if the deciding factor on whether you take a vaccine or not is based on that shíté, that's probably the least of your worries.

You only need to read the comments on any of these videos, tweets, psa's to get a fairly good handle on the unintended outcomes of being cringeworthy when it comes to pushing restriction compliance and/or vaccinations.

As for you lack of understanding relating to younger generations forming opinions based on peer acceptance online - I can't really help you out there. You might ask yourself if people are just as turned off by your average pontifications, luckily that is only a very small number of people.

• Advertisement

Jeez sorry mr commissar of humor - I shall dutifully find SNL amusing from now on.

I said it's CRINGE, not that its offensive. Plenty of these 'take your vax now' clips, tweets, videos, campaigns etc are about as amusing as stepping in dog turd and have the opposite effect especially with the younger cohorts.

As for the 'cult like' behaviour - just search youtube for 'wear a mask' song - its page after page of weirdos virtue signalling. Here's a particularly hilariously bad one for your SNL level humor:

Just wear a maaaaaaassssssskkkkk

As I said, if you look to be offended, you will find it, irrespective of your opinions. Why would anyone want to search youtube for "wear a mask" song unless actively seeking out something to trigger their sensitivities?

The one you posted originally is from sh*te american comedian who seems to spend most of their time doing poor Ted Cruz impersonations

As I said, if you look to be offended, you will find it, irrespective of your opinions. Why would anyone want to search youtube for "wear a mask" song unless actively seeking out something to trigger their sensitivities?

The one you posted originally is from sh*te american comedian who seems to spend most of their time doing poor Ted Cruz impersonations

They pop up and get shared, because they are funny to mock and laugh at. This is called going viral - this is remedial stuff, its basic internet.

You only need to read the comments on any of these videos, tweets, psa's to get a fairly good handle on the unintended outcomes of being cringeworthy when it comes to pushing restriction compliance and/or vaccinations.

As for you lack of understanding relating to younger generations forming opinions based on peer acceptance online - I can't really help you out there. You might ask yourself if people are just as turned off by your average pontifications, luckily that is only a very small number of people.

So you are basing it on random Tweets.

That's all you needed to say.

So you are basing it on random Tweets.

That's all you needed to say.

So you have nothing to come back with.... again. That's all you needed to say.

They pop up and get shared, because they are funny to mock and laugh at. This is called going viral - this is remedial stuff, its basic internet.

1480 views and up since August?

And it only just popped up now?

1480 views and up since August?

And it only just popped up now?

Is it you in the video? Why has it triggered you so much?

So you have nothing to come back with.... again. That's all you needed to say.
    Is it you in the video? Why has it triggered you so much?

Well I did.

You are making hefty assumptions based off random Tweets.

Hard reliable or scientific is it?

Also you actively searching the internet looking to be outraged, then sharing that outrage in the hope to outrage other like minded individuals.

The arsé has come away from the barrel if that is all that is left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Big drop in mask wearing in shops, is it now non mandatory with the lifting of restrictions?

Well I did.

You are making hefty assumptions based off random Tweets.

Hard reliable or scientific is it?

Also you actively searching the internet looking to be outraged, then sharing that outrage in the hope to outrage other like minded individuals.

The arsé has come away from the barrel if that is all that is left.

None of thats true. Why do you make random things up and post them online?

• Advertisement

But I thought it was cult behaviour?

I think I get it now. It seems the preeminent views in this thread are based on the assumption that random sh*te memes posted on the internet represent actual opinions and views of all those who can see a value there having been any restrictions. Kind of like if I made the assumption that the opinions of this thread are based on the twittering's of the likes of Ivor Cummings and not by actually applying some critical thinking of their own

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement