Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    None of thats true. Why do you make random things up and post them online?

I get it.

You don't like vaccines or masks and are actively scouring youtube to find anything that under pins that opinion.

Just be honest. If it anything else, it just saves time.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

But I thought it was cult behaviour?

I think I get it now. It seems the preeminent views in this thread are based on the assumption that random sh*te memes posted on the internet represent actual opinions and views of all those who can see a value there having been any restrictions. Kind of like if I made the assumption that the opinions of this thread are based on the twittering's of the likes of Ivor Cummings and not by actually applying some critical thinking of their own

Not just black or white. For one of the more intelligent posters, I must assume that you are willfully being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Boggles wrote: »
    I get it.

You don't like vaccines or masks and are actively scouring youtube to find anything that under pins that opinion.

Again none of that's true - you really need to get a hold of yourself and this odd compulsion with making things up.

Anyway you two have thoroughly tone and humor policed this discussion to death. I'm not that interested in talking in ever dumber loops about two amusingly cringe videos, which do more harm than good, and are produced by a special set of weirdos - if you cant see that, well I recommend a trip to specsavers, you might have been staring at your screen too much.

Again none of that's true

Like I said.
    dumber loops

Indeed, see the point above.

As you were, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Since things opened in the North on Friday - I have went to swimming pool for a a few sessions of lane swimming (which imo should never have closed, the chlorine means swimming is safe, and arrive ready for the swim, which a quick change after, but no shower...swimming pools should never have been treated the same as gyms, but both should have been opened!)

I also went out for dinner & drinks on sunday - felt strange getting dressed up, but it was a lovely night and the place we went already had outdoor dining long before covid, and has a permanent roof structure with heaters etc.

The number of posts i have seen on facebook on Monday, sorry folks, closed due to bad weather..shows exactly the problem with outdoor dining in Ireland!

It is lovely to see a bit of normality return!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I get it.

Do you think we should vaccinate 100% of people? Because that’s not how vaccines work, about 20% need to be unvaccinated for herd immunity to work. People who are not in high risk groups should not be penalised for refusing a vaccine if they do not want to take it. Like the flu jab for instance, it has to be a personal choice. We should not discriminate against people for personal choices relating to their own body.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Do you think we should vaccinate 100% of people? Because that’s not how vaccines work, about 20% need to be unvaccinated for herd immunity to work. People who are not in high risk groups should not be penalised for refusing a vaccine if they do not want to take it. Like the flu jab for instance, it has to be a personal choice. We should not discriminate against people for personal choices relating to their own body.

Huh?

Anyway.

I don't care if you or the OP take a vaccine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

trixi001 wrote: »
    Since things opened in the North on Friday - I have went to swimming pool for a a few sessions of lane swimming (which imo should never have closed, the chlorine means swimming is safe, and arrive ready for the swim, which a quick change after, but no shower...swimming pools should never have been treated the same as gyms, but both should have been opened!)
    My sister probably picked up COVID from a trip to the swimming pool last year, at least that was the best guess of the contact tracers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Lumen wrote: »
    My sister probably picked up COVID from a trip to the swimming pool last year, at least that was the best guess of the contact tracers.

Let’s hope the contact tracers never become detectives.

Huh?

Anyway.

I don't care if you or the OP take a vaccine or not.

Secondary herd immunity. This is common knowledge with the flu jab for example. You need a secondary viral load in that 20% so the virus doesn’t evolve and mutate, that’s how you get ‘d variants’

• Advertisement

Because that’s not how vaccines work, about 20% dont need to be unvaccinated for herd immunity to work..

FYP

Secondary herd immunity. This is common knowledge with the flu jab for example. You need a secondary viral load in that 20% so the virus doesn’t evolve and mutate, that’s how you get ‘d variants

Huh?

Secondary herd immunity. This is common knowledge with the flu jab for example. You need a secondary viral load in that 20% so the virus doesn’t evolve and mutate, that’s how you get ‘d variants’

Huh?

Huh?

What’s hard to understand about it. Not 100% of people get vaccinated for influenza for example, as the virus could mutate thus rendering the vaccine ineffective.

What’s hard to understand about it. Not 100% of people get vaccinated for influenza for example, as the virus could mutate thus rendering the vaccine ineffective.

That is not the reason, at all. The higher the reservoir of susceptible individuals the higher the risk of mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Are you attempting to wind people up or do you really believe this ****e ?

If you believe it then why has smallpox not mutated?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Why would anyone want to search youtube for "wear a mask" song unless actively seeking out something to trigger their sensitivities?

This displays an ignorance of how youtube works.
    Youtube users will have videos suggested to them, based partly off previous viewing experience, location, age, popularity of the video, etc.
    Videos from "official" sources like government funded campaigns or state sponsored news channels will be given priority for autoplay, so many people will find themselves watching propaganda without intending or wanting to.

just search youtube for 'wear a mask' song
    This displays an ignorance of how youtube works.

You need to read the thread before labeling ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Big drop in mask wearing in shops, is it now non mandatory with the lifting of restrictions?

I know the law has to be renewed periodically but not sure when the next date is.

Was doing the shopping on Saturday myself and didn't notice any difference though, but I've long held the view (from watching how little people care about the hygiene of the mask they use) that most are only complying because of the threat of penalties and that once that threat is removed, so too will masks disappear rapidly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Was doing the shopping on Saturday myself and didn't notice any difference though

Same here, no noticeable difference at all.

• Advertisement

No I did not know that. It might be forgiven though, considering the messaging and stats being bandied about were pretty much the same as the two reopenings sans vaccine. Vaccine figures and projected effects of vaccines took a backseat in discussions about easing of restrictions.

There was plenty of early evidence from other countries about how successful the vaccines we are administering here are.

It’s really baffling that you believe it was clear as day that all we were waiting on was data from 14 days after UK first phase. I mean - there’s not much wrong with that plan if that was their plan, even if I may think it still too cautious - but that’s imo only.

Perhaps there are reports from government sources or NPHET that say this was their main metric for reopening, I can’t find any.

If you didn`t know practically every country is basing reopening on the effectiveness of vaccines, then you have spent too much time complaining about restrictions and not enough looking at what the only possible solution too them was.
    The government stated that the aim was to get to a situation where we would open up and not have to keep going back in and out of lockdowns. Did you not at some stage twig that the only possible way to hopefully achieve that was through vaccinations ?

There was plenty of evidence from other countries on how effective vaccines are, but none as to the lower level of percentage vaccinated required to allow the first stages of reopening that would bring down the numbers in hospitals and I.C.U. A few countries lowered restrictions with vaccination levels in the 20% range and quickly found they got it wrong.

The U.K. based their first level of reopening on a level of first dose vaccination. After 14 days if they had it correct or not, then either way it would have shown in the data. From that data I do not see any great reason to question that they got the level right.

Do you not imagine that every other country was following the U.K. 14 days statistics, so why to you find it so difficult to believe that NPHET, with the U.K. being our next door neighbours, were not doing the same ?
    Or do you somehow believe that it is just sheer coincidence that by 7th. June when we open up to the same level as the U.K. did for their first phase, we will be at the same level of first dose vaccinations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I know the law has to be renewed periodically but not sure when the next date is.

Was doing the shopping on Saturday myself and didn't notice any difference though, but I've long held the view (from watching how little people care about the hygiene of the mask they use) that most are only complying because of the threat of penalties and that once that threat is removed, so too will masks disappear rapidly.

It would be interesting to know the personal reasons people wear masks at this point-

1. It keeps me and others safe.

2. It's the law

3. Because of peer pressure.

I'd say the majority would have answered number one back in January but the other two groups have grown a lot since. Whatever the case I'd bet there are a very small minority wearing them correctly at this point.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It would be interesting to know the personal reasons people wear masks at this point-

1. It keeps me and others safe.

2. It's the law

3. Because of peer pressure.

I'd say the majority would have answered number one back in January but the other two groups have grown a lot since. Whatever the case I'd bet there are a very small minority wearing them correctly at this point.

I wear it because i'm forced to. If it was lifted today i'd never wear a mask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure if this has been discussed but why is Donegal coming out of lockdown restrictions like the rest of us.

Surely if they were told that theirs was extended they may get their act together

Fandymo wrote: »
    I wear it because i'm forced to. If it was lifted today i'd never wear a mask again.

I’d say there are a lot feel that way. I would use one in certain situations- medical settings, plane etc.
    Saw a group of kids out with their teacher sitting by the sea in good weather last week- all wearing masks. I questioned the rationale with my sister who is a teacher and she said if she had a class out she’d have to enforce mask wearing in a similar way as she’d likely get reported if they weren’t.
    It seems we are restricted by what the rules are rather than what is safe or what makes sense.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been discussed but why is Donegal coming out of lockdown restrictions like the rest of us.

Surely if they were told that theirs was extended they may get their act together

The snitch line is open, problem solved!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-in-covid-hit-donegal-set-up-hotline-to-let-public-report-illegal-parties-and-gatherings-40385426.html

Fandymo wrote: »

I doubt there is anyone on this thread who cant wait until there is no requirement to wear masks anymore

"Rat line" as Andrea on NT called it earlier, although she agreed with the idea.

That's exactly what we need - a dedicated phone number to anonymously report your neighbours for daring to live their lives than hiding away from "de virus", especially in the context of falling hospital and ICU numbers.

The local Garda/GRA rep didn't seem too enthused about it either - citing the point that AGS haven't been vaccinated in the main as the reason - but also noted that many people are already resentful about their role in all this as it is.

Sounds to me like someone thought they better be seen to be DOING SOMETHING more than anything else.

I doubt there is anyone on this thread who cant wait until there is no requirement to wear masks anymore

I dunno. There seems to be several who think it's perfectly normal now to expect masks to be worn in certain settings or maybe during the winter months, "just in case". It's even more evident in the Masks thread.

THe psychological damage done by 12 months of constant scare-mongering in the media and NPHET is clear.

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »

It`s not clear yet if they will or not.
    They would probably need to get their act together though because if their lockdown is extended it would be the easiest county in the country to monitor.
    One checkpoint at Ballyshannon would be all it would take. Nowhere to go after that other than Northern Ireland.
    It would be a bit rough on the rest of county as it is mainly just the Milford and Letterkenny area that is the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement