Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been discussed but why is Donegal coming out of lockdown restrictions like the rest of us.

Surely if they were told that theirs was extended they may get their act together

Speaking as someone from Donegal (although not currently living there), I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum of money that this would have the complete opposite effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Speaking as someone from Donegal (although not currently living there), I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum of money that this would have the complete opposite effect.

Well I am also speaking as someone from Donegal but not currently living there and from speaking to family and friends they are seriously pissed off with what has been going on in that particular area for a long time, so I would not bet more than you can afford to loose if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

But its clear that people are concerned about Donegal, if you take your average tweaker that was screaming about India, they simply see news now and will scream Donegal, even thou poor saps will never ever have a reason to go there or visit, but they will make it their life mission to tell anyone that listens about the fears they have :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

charlie14 wrote: »
    Well I am also speaking as someone from Donegal but not currently living there and from speaking to family and friends they are seriously pissed off with what has been going on in that particular area for a long time, so I would not bet more than you can afford to loose if I was you.

The people who are pissed off clearly aren't the issue though - and FWIW my family and friends in the area would fall into the same category as yours. They might all be happy enough to comply with an extended lockdown, but the people who currently aren't paying any heed to the restrictions aren't suddenly going to start because the restrictions have been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The people who are pissed off clearly aren't the issue though - and FWIW my family and friends in the area would fall into the same category as yours. They might all be happy enough to comply with an extended lockdown, but the people who currently aren't paying any heed to the restrictions aren't suddenly going to start because the restrictions have been extended.

Well keeping the shops and pubs closed will stop them spreading it and whatever else they have in the mean time until they are all vaccinated.

Unless of course they are anti-vaxxers up there

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno. There seems to be several who think it's perfectly normal now to expect masks to be worn in certain settings or maybe during the winter months, "just in case". It's even more evident in the Masks thread.

THe psychological damage done by 12 months of constant scare-mongering in the media and NPHET is clear.

The basic principle of herd immunity is that it will provide immunity for those unable to do so for various medical reasons.
    If we get to a vaccination level of 80% the remaining 20% will comprise those refusing to take a vaccine and those unable to do so.
    If some feel safer wearing a mask when it is no longer compulsory to do so I have no problem with that, nor do I see why anybody should.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The basic principle of herd immunity is that it will provide immunity for those unable to do so for various medical reasons.
    If we get to a vaccination level of 80% the remaining 20% will comprise those refusing to take a vaccine and those unable to do so.
    If some feel safer wearing a mask when it is no longer compulsory to do so I have no problem with that, nor do I see why anybody should.

Agreed - so long as it's no longer mandatory I don't mind what people wear to be honest.

As I have said all along, personal responsibility and assessment of individual risk is what's needed here.

There is no way anyone I have talked to in Donegal would be happy with an extended lockdown because of a few eejits that have been doing this for way too long.
    If you`re from Donegal you will know how highly a good ass kicking is regarded when it comes to solving a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There is no way anyone I have talked to in Donegal would be happy with an extended lockdown because of a few eejits that have been doing this for way too long.
    If you`re from Donegal you will know how highly a good ass kicking is regarded when it comes to solving a problem.

Charlie I can assure you anyone fit to deal out a good ass kicking is not one bit concerned about Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We had an extended lockdown in Dublin due to a few eejits too . We all suffered because of them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Big drop in mask wearing in shops, is it now non mandatory with the lifting of restrictions?

Masks are mandatory until the 9th of June, although that will probably be extended.

It would be great to see more and more people not wearing masks, regardless of what the law is. A silly and bad law should be ignored.

Agreed - so long as it's no longer mandatory I don't mind what people wear to be honest.

As I have said all along, personal responsibility and assessment of individual risk is what's needed here.

If you are just going to leave it up to individuals to asses their individual risks and personal responsibility in dealing with this virus, that is just giving advice with no restrictions whatsoever.
    Anywhere that has been the case has not really worked out well.

Charlie I can assure you anyone fit to deal out a good ass kicking is not one bit concerned about Covid

I have seen quite a few smart asses make that mistake based on age Fintan to their detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I doubt there is anyone on this thread who cant wait until there is no requirement to wear masks anymore

There will be some who'll continue to wear them. I'll be burning mine as soon as it's lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you are just going to leave it up to individuals to asses their individual risks and personal responsibility in dealing with this virus, that is just giving advice with no restrictions whatsoever.
    Anywhere that has been the case has not really worked out well.

We're rapidly approaching a place though, from a vaccination/risk perspective as well as economic reasons, where people being asked to take personal responsibility will be the only real way forward.

We already have too many who are happy to let "someone else" decide things or even their opinions for them without State-mandating it unnecessarily.

We're rapidly approaching a place though, from a vaccination/risk perspective as well as economic reasons, where people being asked to take personal responsibility will be the only real way forward.

We already have too many who are happy to let "someone else" decide things or even their opinions for them without State-mandating it unnecessarily.

I imagine as vaccination numbers go up the social distancing rule will be relaxed, which will aid the economy. I do not see where the wearing or not wearing of masks will make much difference to it tbh.

Well, thats a bizarre comment

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Fandymo wrote: »
    There will be some who'll continue to wear them. I'll be burning mine as soon as it's lifted.

Probably more environmentally friendly vs the amount of them you see blowing around and left nastilly in shopping trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Probably more environmentally friendly vs the amount of them you see blowing around and left nastilly in shopping trolleys.

Some amount of masks left on walk ways, car parks, playgrounds etc. Nature has enough pollution to deal with FFS.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats funny and another ****ing ridiculous way of showing how much power we have given over to a useless nanny state - All my neighbours and ourselves would be Public enemies number 1 if they started that in Kildare - the amount of student parties going on around me is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

I know the €9 meal fiasco is not returning but has there been any clarification on time limits, seating only, no sport on tv etc or has all that gone out the window?

I'd imagine it will be seating only in pubs for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I know the €9 meal fiasco is not returning but has there been any clarification on time limits, seating only, no sport on tv etc or has all that gone out the window?

I'd imagine it will be seating only in pubs for a while.

I see The Well in moat gearing up for outdoor gigs and Palmerstown manor running festivals in late July so i would imagine the sport, no music etc is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Well keeping the shops and pubs closed will stop them spreading it and whatever else they have in the mean time until they are all vaccinated.

If the shops and pubs are currently closed, how does that explain the high numbers now?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Well, thats a bizarre comment

What’s bizzare about it?

How the **** can one go around handing out ass kickings in Donegal if they can’t stand within 2m of someone or make non essential journeys

Are they going to wash their hands and don a mask before handing out the beatings?

As I said, the only ones fit to hand out beating’s won’t be concerned about Covid

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats funny and another ****ing ridiculous way of showing how much power we have given over to a useless nanny state - All my neighbours and ourselves would be Public enemies number 1 if they started that in Kildare - the amount of student parties going on around me is nuts.

You don`t think that perhaps with a 14 day incident rate of 209 per 100,000 the highlighted may be partly due to that.

You don`t think that perhaps with a 14 day incident rate of 209 per 100,000 the highlighted may be partly due to that.

Great to have case numbers high and hospital admissions low

The vaccine works but lockdown doesn’t

What’s bizzare about it?

How the **** can one go around handing out ass kickings in Donegal if they can’t stand within 2m of someone or make non essential journeys

Are they going to wash their hands and don a mask before handing out the beatings?

As I said, the only ones fit to hand out beating’s won’t be concerned about Covid

They wouldn`t have far to travel Fintan, and the highlighted is not exactly an unheard of phenomenon.

Penfailed wrote: »
    If the shops and pubs are currently closed, how does that explain the high numbers now?

I didn't say it was the reason, but it will stop it spreading further.

• Advertisement

Great to have case numbers high and hospital admissions low

The vaccine works but lockdown doesn’t

Great to see indeed Fintan even if hospital admissions and I.C.U. numbers are up slightly.
    Great to move towards lifting lockdown with such numbers now that we have vaccines to hopefully keep those numbers low as more and more are vaccinated.

Do you believe we would be lifting restriction with the aid of vaccines due to numbers being that low had we not had lockdown ?
    Cannot see it myself tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement