Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

charlie14 wrote: »
    The two areas in question do not have rates of 209 per 100K. One has 675 per 100K. The other 594 per 100K.

Youre the one that said "209 per 100k"- I assume you mean Kildare??
    If you had a neighbour that through his could not give a fcuk attitude was endangering your ability to take part in activities open to everyone else, would you still be as happy to just smile about it and say "sure what harm is he doing really" ?

Absolutely- its not my neighbour that's keeping me in a lock down - its an utterly incompetent government afraid to make a decision to open things up with high-ish case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

tom1ie wrote: »
    Maybe I posted this in the wrong thread?
    I thought this thread was about restrictions being relaxed?

Covid-19 restrictions are easing. Here's what you can do from May 10

This article gives a good timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No comparison at all - would I stop yobs destroying a playground?

100% I would.

Would I care about my neighbours having a party during a pandemic which in all fairness isn't really as dangerous as we are made out to believe?

Not at all.

Same principle whether you wish to see it or not.

You have your opinion on how dangerous this pandemic is.
    I doubt if there are many among the family and friends of the 3,220,000 dead due to it who would agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

growleaves wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Thuggery and now the Stasi - guess it's clear what cloth you are cut from. You should be ashamed.

Pretty clear with yourself too. I did not bring up the Stasi, another poster did, but for some strange reason you do not have a problem with that poster doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

:confused: It`s in my post.

Sorry. What I meant was how many actual cases is that, rather than cases per 100000.

Youre the one that said "209 per 100k"- I assume you mean Kildare??

Absolutely- its not my neighbour that's keeping me in a lock down - its an utterly incompetent government afraid to make a decision to open things up with high-ish case numbers.

The 209 per 100K was in relation to your post about Kildare.

The 675 per 100K and the 594 per 100K is the incident rate for the two areas in question in Donegal. Thought that was clear as we were then discussing Donegal.

I see. So for you it is all about opening up just based on the case numbers.
    Great idea. That really has worked so well in the past ensuring we did not go yoyoing back into lockdown.
    What could possibly go wrong doing it on that basis again.

bloopy wrote: »
    Sorry. What I meant was how many actual cases is that, rather than cases per 100000.

What relevance would that have?
    Incident rates are based on the number per 100K of population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

What relevance would that have?
    Incident rates are based on the number per 100K of population.

Because depending on the size of the population, a relatively small number might seem rather large when looked at per 100000 people.
    Is the area a village, a town, a parish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Surprised there isn't information about the removal of mask wearing or social distancing.
    Wondering therefore if everything goes according to plan, could we be mask free by the autumn?
    On a side note I should be fully vaccinated by the end of June, could I therefore come to Ireland without the need for quarantine?

• Advertisement

The polo-neck lad could have saved a lot of money by just pulling one arm out of his t-shirt and then just jamming that armhole over his head instead when he goes shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The polo-neck lad could have saved a lot of money by just pulling one arm out of his t-shirt and then just jamming that armhole over his head instead when he goes shopping.

Turtle Neck.

mmm_alan_p_specials-071_web.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

If you are still in "lock down" that is a personal choice.

Not the gubbermints fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://unherd.com/2021/05/how-science-has-been-corrupted/

Exceedingly long but an absolute must read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Unherd" yeah not a "must read" anyway.

Some people have more important things to be doing since restrictions are relaxing.

Most of it is an article about his climate change denial before he gets onto masks.

This is the highlight.
    Perhaps the pandemic has merely accelerated, and given official warrant to, our long slide toward atomisation. By the nakedness of our faces we encounter one another as individuals, and in doing so we experience fleeting moments of grace and trust. To hide our faces behind masks is to withdraw this invitation. This has to be politically significant

:pac:

Where do you find this stuff? Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    Most of it is an article about his climate change denial before he gets onto masks.

This is the highlight.

Must be anti-beard aswell as anti-mask.

That author is correct. Someone dressed up like a train robber with half their face covered does not inspire trust.

Emotions and personality are conveyed in the eyes and mouth and other facial muscles.

That's why I say these lockdowns could only happen in a nihilist society. Only a nihilist would claim that not being able to see a person's whole face is a matter of indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Boggles wrote: »

hiding ones face removes trust or creates automatic distrust.
    It's not a hard concept to grasp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

paw patrol wrote: »

I get it. When I was being wheeled into theatre the Surgeons all had masks on. I just couldn't trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That author is correct. Someone dressed up like a train robber with half their face covered does not inspire trust.

Emotions and personality are conveyed in the eyes and mouth and other facial muscles.

That's why I say these lockdowns could only happen in a nihilist society. Only a nihilist would claim that not being able to see a person's whole face is a matter of indifference.

Japan would regularly use masks, they arent a nihilist society.

I don't believe they should be the law, but it should be left to the people themselves to decide.

I can see a very good reason for them on a packed bus in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are we likely to loose the masks in shops requirement once full indoor dining is allowed in restaurants? (maybe July), cannot eat wearing a mask afterall and both are indoors.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You mean a simply face covering or mask during a once in a generation pandemic where the virus is airborne and predominately exits and enters through the respiratory system?

Opposite surely.

Now a lad with turtle neck half pulled over his face may get people walking in the other direction all right.

Is wearing a simple face covering a "lock down".

No, no it isn't.

Anyway the author is claiming lizard people are making us wear masks to stifle emotion, or some scutter.

What has jumped out of me in the past 14 odd months is the amount of absolute bat shít lunatics employed at higher education institutes.

Surely a more robust interview process is required.

paw patrol wrote: »

Do you distrust all motor cyclists?

Welders?

Surgeons?

Skiers?

Japan would regularly use masks, they arent a nihilist society.

I'm not saying they are.

I'm saying that a person or society who denies that there is any significance to being able to fully see a person's face has a nihilist streak.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I get it. When I was being wheeled into theatre the Surgeons all had masks on. I just couldn't trust them.

To be fair I have never trusted a dentist.

Maybe "fúck the polar bears" has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It’s children I worry about the most. I remember being a young child when the bird flu thing was happening and it was all over the radio and news and I was absolutely terrified my chicken curry for dinner was going to kill me. I can only imagine what’s going on in the imaginations of young kids.

Unless you are going under the knife in an emergency e.g. car crash, you meet the surgeon who will operate on you first in the clinic and go through your medical history etc.

Surgeons only wear their masks during surgery (prior to covid).

No I don't trust a stranger standing in front of me in a welding mask or motorcycle helmet and it would be a pretty strange interaction if they refused to remove it and expected anything more from me than the most brief or basic courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Parachutes wrote: »
    It’s children I worry about the most. I remember being a young when the bird flu thing was happening and it was all over the radio and news and I was absolutely terrified my chicken curry for dinner was going to kill me. I can only imagine what’s going on in the imaginations of young kids.

100%

If kids have parents indoctrinating fear into them about something that’s less dangerous to kids than the flu, it’s going to take years of therapy to instil confidence for to live normal lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Supercell wrote: »
    Are we likely to loose the masks in shops requirement once full indoor dining is allowed in restaurants? (maybe July), cannot eat wearing a mask afterall and both are indoors.

You wear a little mask for your nose under your main mask for eating when you take your main mask off.

Don’t question it. It’s science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement