Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I get it. When I was being wheeled into theatre the Surgeons all had masks on. I just couldn't trust them.

yeah cos thats what I meant.:rolleyes:

I'll bet you met the surgeon beforehand maskless .
    which makes a mockery of your point.

Are you thick or just deliberately obtuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Boggles wrote: »
    Do you distrust all motor cyclists?

Welders?

Surgeons?

Skiers?

One distrusts motorcyclists who wear their helmets inside of bank branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://unherd.com/2021/05/how-science-has-been-corrupted/

Exceedingly long but an absolute must read.
    This bit
    The work of reconciling science and public opinion is carried out, not through education, but through a kind of distributed demagogy, or Scientism. We are learning that this is not a stable solution to the perennial problem of authority that every society must solve.

The phrase “follow the science” has a false ring to it. That is because science doesn’t lead anywhere. It can illuminate various courses of action, by quantifying the risks and specifying the tradeoffs. But it can’t make the necessary choices for us. By pretending otherwise, decision-makers can avoid taking responsibility for the choices they make on our behalf.

Increasingly, science is pressed into duty as authority. It is invoked to legitimise the transfer of sovereignty from democratic to technocratic bodies, and as a device for insulating such moves from the realm of political contest.

Over the past year, a fearful public has acquiesced to an extraordinary extension of expert jurisdiction over every domain of life. A pattern of “government by emergency” has become prominent, in which resistance to such incursions are characterised as “anti-science”.

growleaves wrote: »
    Unless you are going under the knife in an emergency e.g. car crash, you meet the surgeon who will operate on you first in the clinic and go through your medical history etc.

Surgeons only wear their masks during surgery (prior to covid).

No I don't trust a stranger standing in front of me in a welding mask or motorcycle helmet and it would be a pretty strange interaction if they refused to remove it and expected anything more from me than the most brief or basic courtesy.

Banks didn’t require masks at the start of the pandemic ( thought not sure what the situation is now) think it was to do with identification. Pre covid you’d hear in the news about masked men robbing a place etc. The bank thing might have been to do with this as if the face isn’t fully visible it could be anyone.Recall hearing some places also required people to take off motorcycle helmets too upon entry probably again to do with id.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    One distrusts motorcyclists who wear their helmets inside of bank branches.

Not what the OP said.

But they are fine for health and safety reasons correct? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Over the past year, a fearful public has acquiesced to an extraordinary extension of expert jurisdiction over every domain of life.

Yes, although it is impossible for business papers like the Wall Street Journal or the Financial Times to present Quantitative Easing as wholly non-controversial and they don't even try because they know that many of their readers have formal training and education in economics. They can only soft-sell it.

Not what the OP said.

But they are fine for health and safety reasons correct? ;)

Suggest you read again then. Stop playing silly buggers, your elegant troll mask is slipping, you might catch something.

Suggest you read again then. Stop playing silly buggers, your elegant troll mask is slipping, you might catch something.

Hmmmmm.

Very simple, people wear masks or shields or helmets all the time for health and safety reasons, no different for Covid.

If you believe the lizard people are forcing us to wear masks because it stifles emotion and controls us or whatever scutter is peddled by the anti mask, anti vax, anti highspeed internet access brigade you need to purge your social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmmmm.

Very simple, people wear masks or shields or helmets all the time for health and safety reasons, no different for Covid.

For specific reasons, usually for a limited time or as part of their role (eg: surgeons in surgery)

It's a very different thing to asking an entire population to wear masks indoors (or even outdoors) "just in case" they catch a virus known to be little to no risk to 99.7/9% of the population... but you know that and are deliberately trying to muddy the point.

Incidentally, motorcyclists are expected to remove their helmets when entering banks, offices etc. I'm sure you know why this is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

100%

If kids have parents indoctrinating fear into them about something that’s less dangerous to kids than the flu, it’s going to take years of therapy to instil confidence for to live normal lives

In fairness good parents will sit the kids down and explain the situation.
    My kids are young, understand the covid situation, are not afraid of it, not too much has changed for them. Still out playing, back in their sports etc

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm.

If you believe the lizard people are forcing us to wear masks because it stifles emotion and controls us or whatever scutter is peddled by the anti mask, anti vax, anti highspeed internet access brigade you need to purge your social media.

First sentence: congratulations im not sure why you keep posting these truisms that no one is arguing with.

Second sentence: Yeah none of that applies so you just wasted your time typing that. Are you perhaps paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Do you distrust all motor cyclists?

Welders?

Surgeons?

Skiers?

I’ve yet to see a welder wear their mask while shopping in my local supermarket.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    For specific reasons, usually for a limited time or as part of their role (eg: surgeons in surgery)

It's a very different thing to asking an entire population to wear masks indoors (or even outdoors) "just in case" they catch a virus known to be little to no risk to 99.7/9% of the population... but you know that and are deliberately trying to muddy the point.

Incidentally, motorcyclists are expected to remove their helmets when entering banks, offices etc. I'm sure you know why this is too.

Well no you are asked to wear a very simple face covering to help stop the spread of a virus that makes people sick and as we have seen can have adverse effects on society, our economy and our health service.

14 months in, I can't believe this still has to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

My kids are young, understand the covid situation, are not afraid of it, not too much has changed for them. Still out playing, back in their sports etc

Thats the problem these days.

I’ve yet to see a welder wear their mask while shopping in my local supermarket.

But you have seen them wear them welding?

You know as a health and safety measure?

This isn't vert hard understand TBF.

First sentence: congratulations im not sure why you keep posting these truisms that no one is arguing with.

Second sentence: Yeah none of that applies so you just wasted your time typing that. Are you perhaps paranoid?

Hmmmmmm.

Anyway it seems to apply to the author of the nonsense who claims wearing a mask is political. I'm guessing he is American.

But sure opinions and arséholes everyone has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

TomSweeney's threadban lifted after discussion via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well no you are asked to wear a very simple face covering to help stop the spread of a virus that makes people sick and as we have seen can have adverse effects on society, our economy and our health service.

Do you advocate that masks are worn now non stop?

bear1 wrote: »
    Do you advocate that masks are worn now non stop?

You mean like in the shower and going to bed?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I like how you define what "good" parents do.
    It's like all parents and all kids are the same with the same needs, wants and opinion on how to raise kids.
    I never sat my kids down for a talk as we refused to add to the overwhelming sense of hysteria that was knocking about.

not too much has changed? the whole year has been a massive upheaval for kids.
    to forget that and the fact it may have an impact is just revisionist history cos a few sports are open now with restricted trained - as in GAA non contact, in a pod which isn't GAA it's ball practice and fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What I can't believe is that there are some still pushing this idea that this virus is dangerous to the general population. It's not, it's dangerous to a very small subset (the majority of whom have finally been vaccinated), and to the incompetence of the HSE - that's it.

Masks are at best a placebo given how most people treat them. They weren't even mandated this time last year and yet numbers fell off a cliff despite shops and other essentials being open throughout.

They certainly aren't necessary now. By all means wear one if you feel safer or a better person or whatever, but the "mandatory" element needs to go ASAP as whatever (debatable) justification for it there was no longer exists.

Hmmmmmm.

Anyway it seems to apply to the author of the nonsense who claims wearing a mask is political. I'm guessing he is American.

But sure opinions and arséholes everyone has one.

You might be more specific - its not the first time you have attempted to throw labels, it usually follows you getting called out for your xxxxth derail over some nonsense point that no one made.

It was a good article worthy of discussion - your appeals to authority are rejected (as usual).

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What I can't believe is that there are some still pushing this idea that this virus is dangerous to the general population.

Again though, 14 months in.

The general population are hosts, if the virus rinses through the general politician at any sort of frequency we get adverse effects to society, our economy and our health service.

All this actually happened and continues to happen in places that have a higher level of vaccination than us.

We are not going to internet edgelord or deny our way through it.

It doesn't work.

You might be more specific - its not the first time you have attempted to throw labels, it usually follows you getting called out for your xxxxth derail over some nonsense point that no one made.

It was a good article worthy of discussion - your appeals to authority are rejected (as usual).

I quoted the relevant paragraph, read and discussed the article that is more about his climate change denial than Covid. TBF their wasn't much to be discussed.

I haven't actually seen you reference any part of it. But yeah "derail". :rolleyes:

Parachutes wrote: »
    You wear a little mask for your nose under your main mask for eating when you take your main mask off.

Don’t question it. It’s science.

No one said, ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m loving the people outside on the streets wearing masks.
    My kids and I play a game when driving through our village.

Simply called “nappy face”

They love it.

We each bet a number . The number is related to how many people we see wearing a mask either on the street or in other cars.

Whoever gets the closest by the time get to our front door gets €1.

Many days of fun while at the same time highlighting the absurdity and spotting followers of pseudoscience/zealotry . It’s a great educational tool.

I’ve got to say we will miss that aspect when this “deadly” virus is over.

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’m loving the people outside on the streets wearing masks.
    My kids and I play a game when driving through our village.

Simply called “nappy face”

They love it.

We each bet a number . The number is related to how many people we see wearing a mask either on the street or in other cars.

Whoever gets the closest by the time get to our front door gets €1.

Many days of fun while at the same time highlighting the absurdity and spotting followers of pseudoscience/zealotry . It’s a great educational tool.

I’ve got to say we will miss that aspect when this “deadly” virus is over.

Absurdity? You dropped nearly a grand on turtle neck jumpers to 'cheat the system'?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Your dropped nearly a grand on turtle necks to "cheat the system"?

:pac::pac::pac:

Yip. Couldn’t care less about a measly grand tbh.

Good for you.

Doesn't make it any less absurd though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Was only three pup payments to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement