Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

1. Perhaps you could address the points in my post. Anecdotal evidence not good enough.

2. You made an issue of ‘5 times the national average’, without qualification of circulation levels of virus in population.

1. I have already told you I have friends working in health care, and not only relatives friends as well, in the particular area. What do you want me to do. Go there and count cases and mark them individually on a map for you ?

2. Incident rates are shown on the basis of electoral areas nationwide. That is the standard and accepted qualification on the level of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Its amazing the way a positive outlook, with the small caveat that nothing is certain yet, is spun on this thread to "we are locking down next winter".

Its like lives have now become defined by complaining about lockdown

Not all lives have become divined by complaining about lockdown.

Some are complaining(myself included), other’s are enjoying it and are relatively unaffected.

Both sides are entitled to their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Why the need to caveat for things he doesn't know?

It's not a small caveat

It's possible that the efficacy of the vaccines will not wear off after a certain point of time. We don't know what might happen in terms of variants that may never be vaccine-resistant. We don't know what will happen when the winter comes until winter comes

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you insist on an myopic approach to health and wellbeing then yes, Covid will be behind us

We will still have to face the consequences of delayed cancer screening and treatment and delayed diagnosis and treatment of many other health issues, postponed mental health treatment and diagnosis of autism etc

Likely much more dangerous than covid could ever be

You mean vaccinate and open up?

I've yet to hear a better approach.

Personally I prefer to get on with it, if people want to sit online complaining about their self imposed "lockdowns" that's their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Its amazing the way a positive outlook, with the small caveat that nothing is certain yet, is spun on this thread to "we are locking down next winter".

Its like lives have now become defined by complaining about lockdown

We should be back to normal right now....the seasonal surge ended last Jan...the threat of new variants (to be treated like a new virus) was completely over exaggerated and still is which is extremely damaging to our economy....just because we are all encouraged to ignore the massive costs of this doesn't mean there aren't any.

You'd imagine a year or more into this we'd have an accepted view on what restrictions were effective and what restrictions aren't...

You might feel that complaining about the loss of the majority of our civil liberties is something anyone enjoys but it has real life economic, social and health implications for all of us.

There are about 150 people in hospital beds out of a stock of 11,000...the vaccination program is three months in...we aare heading in to our summer...you might be happy to maintain the pretense that we are on some kind of a knife edge but don't expect all of us to buy into it!!

• Advertisement

Fandymo wrote: »
    Why aren't motorcyclists etc allowed wear helmets into banks, post offices, building societies and most other businesses with cash on the premises??

Because they don't drive into these premises?

Would be my guess.

We should be back to normal right now....the seasonal surge ended last Jan...

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean vaccinate and open up?

I've yet to hear a better approach.

Personally I prefer to get on with it, if people want to sit online complaining about their self imposed "lockdowns" that's business.

I do love this new approach...

Suddenly it's the people who've been warning about variants and far off lands and cases and spreads for over 12 months now, and attacking anyone who said a more balanced/proportional and "actually living with this" approach was needed, that are now the ones itching to get back on with it and decrying those same others.

Not buying it.

Not all lives have become divined by complaining about lockdown.

Some are complaining(myself included), other’s are enjoying it and are relatively unaffected.

Both sides are entitled to their opinion

Oh yeah, really enjoying restrictions. Its great craic altogether.

You know, it is possible not to like something but still understand the why

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Suddenly it's the people who've been warning about variants and far off lands

Like China the origin of Covid?

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why the need to caveat for things he doesn't know?

It's not a small caveat

It's possible that the efficacy of the vaccines will not wear off after a certain point of time. We don't know what might happen in terms of variants that may never be vaccine-resistant. We don't know what will happen when the winter comes until winter comes

Much better to say "everything is awesome" and make promises you dont know for sure will play through

LOL.

Did you not know the winter virus season in Ireland is completely different to the rest of Europe because.......

Did you not know the winter virus season in Ireland is completely different to the rest of Europe because.......

Careful now, you'll be told you can't compare Ireland with Europe because of their tropical climate and different human anatomy.

You can only compare Ireland with countries that are easing restrictions faster than us.

You know, it is possible not to like something but still understand the why

Do you think that the threat of variants over the last three months, that have kept us in level 5 was exaggerated or a mistake?

It's different every year?

Do you think that the threat of variants over the last three months, that have kept us in level 5 was exaggerated or a mistake?

News for you. It wasn't variants, it was the slow down in the fall off in cases while only a small portion of the vulnerable were vaccinated that kept restrictions tight.

And I have stated here before that the types of easing of restrictions we are seeing in May could have happened earlier. Does not mean that the why's are not understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No indoor gatherings any time soon it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gael23 wrote: »

That's what I took away from reading it

Pathetic that other places have plans to get indoor events back up and running while we're to scared to do it here

I said here in late March we would be in Beer Gardens by July at the latest, and we will be there in June.

We will be in pubs by July, without a doubt. Possibly earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I said here in late March we would be in Beer Gardens by July at the latest, and we will be there in June.

Hoep your right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When will we be at concerts and back at GAA matches?

News for you. It wasn't variants, it was the slow down in the fall off in cases while only a small portion of the vulnerable were vaccinated that kept restrictions tight.

And I have stated here before that the types of easing of restrictions we are seeing in May could have happened earlier. Does not mean that the why's are not understandable

Your first sentence doesn't make a jot of sense....our great leader told us the new variants (was it the UK one or the Brazialian one or was there a Kilkenny one, it's hard to keep track) were to be treated like a new virus back in February as justification for continuing the Level 5 lock down....fears that were not justified in any way, as most of here stated back in Feb/March...apart from yourself and a few others that is.

If you believe that the restrictions should happen earlier then you know the actions of the Government has been a mistake, a very costly one.

We know that outdoor transmission is rare.
    We know that asymptomatic people do not transmit in any meaningful way.

What is there to understand....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

PTH2009 wrote: »

Pathetic that other places have plans to get indoor events back up and running while we're to scared to do it here

Yep, Micheal and co won't make a move until someone/somewhere else does first - unless it's comes to overreactive unnecessary restrictions.. then we're top of the class! :rolleyes:

Reading Leo's comments above, I think that he's preparing for a change of Government if indeed things pan out as he says. Anti-Martin elements in FF are already biding their time till the worst is over (as it is - but again in hyper-cautious land we need to wait a few more months), and I think there'll be a heave in the autumn myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

charlie14 wrote: »
    1. I have already told you I have friends working in health care, and not only relatives friends as well, in the particular area. What do you want me to do. Go there and count cases and mark them individually on a map for you ?

2. Incident rates are shown on the basis of electoral areas nationwide. That is the standard and accepted qualification on the level of the virus.

Can’t fathom why you believe your relatives and friends are privy to data not otherwise available. If it is otherwise available maybe post here to back up your point.

Your second point is arguing against something agreed in my last post, not sure why you are determined to use it as an argument against something never posited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

What article did you two read? Because clearly it was different to the one I read....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looking promising......
    Tánaiste hopes majority of restrictions will be gone by August

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said he hopes August will be the month when things are relatively normal again in Ireland.

He said he hoped that by then, the vast majority of restrictions would be gone.

Mr Varadkar said he was hopeful that there would be indoor dining and people would be allowed indoors in pubs in July.

But he said not everything may be the same and there would be questions about mass gatherings and indoor events and international travel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same principle whether you wish to see it or not.

Its not
    You have your opinion on how dangerous this pandemic is.
    I doubt if there are many among the family and friends of the 3,220,000 dead due to it who would agree with you.

How many of them died "FROM" covid and not "WITH" covid.

The 209 per 100K was in relation to your post about Kildare.

The 675 per 100K and the 594 per 100K is the incident rate for the two areas in question in Donegal. Thought that was clear as we were then discussing Donegal.

I see. So for you it is all about opening up just based on the case numbers.
    Great idea. That really has worked so well in the past ensuring we did not go yoyoing back into lockdown.
    What could possibly go wrong doing it on that basis again.

Case numbers are irrelevant and in my opinion always have been.So we should open up and ignore the case numbers.
    Ive posted before about case numbers and unless you test your entire population case numbers dont matter.
    If you are still in "lock down" that is a personal choice.

Not the gubbermints fault.

Ah you know what I mean - Its still a lockdown as far as international travel,eating in restaurants, having a pint in a pub is and its the government that is blocking those aspects of society.

Personally I havent been really abiding by many of these restrictions since last year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Y

Reading Leo's comments above, I think that he's preparing for a change of Government if indeed things pan out as he says.

I wish they`d get on with and get rid of the muppets (Donnelly and Martin) that are running things now.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ah you know what I mean - Its still a lockdown as far as international travel,eating in restaurants, having a pint in a pub is and its the government that is blocking those aspects of society.

Personally I havent been really abiding by many of these restrictions since last year.

I imagine you have.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Looking promising......

No no, that article actually said we are locking down all winter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement