Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd say Tony Houlihan might be considering taking additional time away, this Donegal Story has certainly grown legs and primarily because of those silly "dogs in the street comments"

Michael Martin when questioned about this absurd hotline took offence at the use of the discription of a "Tout Line", I think he might avoid a visit to Donegal for a while, it's population rightly offended. An outrageous decision and now NPHET and Government denying they recommended it. Who's telling porkies here??

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do you realise Covid is not the only health issue in Ireland?

We can’t close the hospitals when the last person is vaccinated despite your myopic concerns

I absolutely realise.

What I don't understand is the relevance in the context of a discussion about the relaxation of restrictions.

The same could be said of borrowings that have already accrued.

It's done. Like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I don’t see the point of a so called ‘vaccine bonus’ for meeting people indoors. At the start of this we were told we had to lockdown to protect the elderly and vulnerable in society, now they have the freedom to meet indoors while the rest of us are still restricted? How the hell do they figure that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When can you travel outside your own county?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When can you travel outside your own county?

May 10th

This article is a good guide to the relaxation of restrictions:

Covid-19 restrictions are easing. Here's what you can do from May 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

timmyntc wrote: »
    And? If anything that just validates my point that we could not afford to borrow so much given our existing debt stock - nevermind borrow the most in Europe relative to our size. Also by end of 2021 projections are that we will have added ~20% to our debt prior to 2019.

Irish debt to GDP was in decline from 2013 onwards, now its taken a big jump up and is projected to keep going that way for a year or 2.

Because the economy grew.

The "And" is obvious. We had record levels of debt pre Covid and the economy was booming.

Relative to size it has increased marginally, our debt repayments this year will be less than half of 2013.

Keep growing the economy even just above interest rates and debt takes care of itself.

Parachutes wrote: »
    I don’t see the point of a so called ‘vaccine bonus’ for meeting people indoors. At the start of this we were told we had to lockdown to protect the elderly and vulnerable in society, now they have the freedom to meet indoors while the rest of us are still restricted? How the hell do they figure that one?

They were told to cocoon at the start. So lets call it even.

Boggles wrote: »
    They were told to cocoon at the start. So lets call it even.

It still doesn’t make any sense. I thought this was a game of protecting people from a disease, not a game of who’s suffered more from restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Too many Irish people have been overwhelmed by hysteria to see anything wrong with that....it's that simple.

WE know asymptomatic people don't spread the virus in any meaningful way.
    We know that the virus doesn't transmit out doors in any meaningful way.
    We also know that you can't pick it up from objects or surfaces like we were led to believe at the start.

You wanna see the different conditions being imposed on people back playing sport....it is absolutely nuts...no bibs allowed, no contact apart from a pod system, no handling the ball...to name but a few...

The sooner we set up a Covid police force to ensure compliance the better....young boys wearing bibs on a football field is dangerous...we need neighbours contacting authorities about these far right youngsters before we end up back in level 5 lock down again!!!!

I've never seen the likes of this madness in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It still doesn’t make any sense. I thought this was a game of protecting people from a disease, not a game of who’s suffered more from restrictions.

Have you heard of vaccines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You are wasting your time there...they think its "science".

Too many Irish people have been overwhelmed by hysteria to see anything wrong with that....it's that simple.

We also know that you can't pick it up from objects or surfaces like we were led to believe at the start.

You wanna see the different conditions being imposed on people back playing sport....it is absolutely nuts...no bibs allowed, no contact apart from a pod system, no handling the ball...to name but a few...

The sooner we set up a Covid police force to ensure compliance the better....young boys wearing bibs on a football field is dangerous...we need neighbours contacting authorities about these far right youngsters before we end up back in level 5 lock down again!!!!

In years to come, when this farce is a long and distant memory. This period in time will be remembered the same way witch trials are. A collective mass hysteria and madness.

Some sports have had this a long time.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Have you heard of vaccines?

I have. Have you heard of the human immune system? or the fact that this illness has a 99.7% survival rate for normal people? Or the fact the vast, vast majority of those under 30 don’t get any serious symptoms even?

Round and round the roundabout we go.

I have. Have you heard of the human immune system? or the fact that this illness has a 99.7% survival rate for normal people? Or the fact the vast, vast majority of those under 30 don’t get any serious symptoms even?

Round and round the roundabout we go.

Ah sometimes you get a new classic like polos are better/easier than masks and comparisons to the witch trials.

It was never a game, and you are still making the mistake that this is about you.

It isn't, you don't actually matter - neither do I. It's managed at a population level.

Personally I think you'd need to be a special sort of contrarian to be upset over vaccinated people meeting family first.

Your chance will come to take a vaccine, shouldn't be too long more.

Ah sometimes you get a new classic like polos are better/easier than masks and comparisons to the witch trials.

A bit like the year and a half of the two weeks to flatten the curve.

It was never a game, and you are still making the mistake that this is about you.

It isn't, you don't actually matter - neither do I. It's managed at a population level.

Personally I think you'd need to be a special sort of contrarian to be upset over vaccinated people meeting family first.

Your chance will come to take a vaccine, shouldn't be too long more.

Not at all. The rest of us should be able to as well though.

Are you vaccinated yet?

Are you vaccinated yet?

No, and probably won’t be offered one for quite a while as I’m in the lowest risk group.

• Advertisement

Sure what's stopping you? It's not like vaccinated people are being allowed into night clubs, they are allowed meet a limited amount of vaccinated and un-vaccinated people in their homes.

Fill your boots if you want to follow the same guidance, I won't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Are you vaccinated yet?

Doubt it.

Probably going to do his bit for humanity by being among the 20% unvaccinated he believes are needed for herd immunity to work as it prevents the virus mutating.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

Probably going to do his bit for humanity by being among the 20% unvaccinated he believes are needed for herd immunity to work as it prevents the virus mutating.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lads its over, we need to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Not really. I was well aware of the numbers. Just wondered how long it would take you to reveal your attempted conjuring trick with statistics.
    I honestly didn`t believe you would go down the Donald Trump road of testing less would reduce the number, but gotta admit that part I got wrong.

You are attempting to generate panic and fear over 93 cases by using the per 100000 method to create an impression of chaos in Donegal. RTE and the government have attempted to do the same over the last few days and have gotten called out on it.

What is wrong with you people?

Do you even want this to end or are you reveling in the doom?
    And where the f*** does Trump come into this.
    Where did I even mention testing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Face masks during a pandemic are for your protection and the protection of others.
    Motorcyclists wear helmets for their own protection while riding their bikes. They do not ride their bikes into banks, post offices etc.

Many, many people have stated that they’ll wear a mask in their car, on the street, if they’re going place to place as it is less hassle than putting it on and off. Same difference, no?

bloopy wrote: »
    You are attempting to generate panic and fear over 93 cases by using the per 100000 method to create an impression of chaos in Donegal. RTE and the government have attempted to do the same over the last few days and have gotten called out on it.

What is wrong with you people?

Do you even want this to end or are you reveling in the doom?
    And where the f*** does Trump come into this.
    Where did I even mention testing less.

I wasn`t attempting to generate anything other than highlight the actions of morons in two areas are putting everyone else in Donegal at risk of not exiting lockdown at the same time as everyone else. Being from Donegal with family and friends there something I am as entitled to do, if not moreso, than some here who have commented and haven`t a clue as to what has been going on in those areas for some time.

The criteria for reporting incident levels is by electoral area and the number expressed is per 100K. Attempting statistical gymnastics similar to Trump on his, if there was less testing to muddy the waters, is as silly as his attempt to do the same

Fandymo wrote: »
    Many, many people have stated that they’ll wear a mask in their car, on the street, if they’re going place to place as it is less hassle than putting it on and off. Same difference, no?

So you want to ban them doing so on the same principle of biker helmets in establihments that are holding cash.
    Are you afraid they will jump out of cars and rob you in the street ?

But of course you don't have any bias....you have been consistently defending the undefendable despite also recognizing that the restrictions should have been relaxed sooner....because you understand why they did it...but you won't articulate why you understand why they did it...because you can't bring yourself to admit that the Government got it wrong....very wrong.

The new variants that kept us in level 5 for three extra months was a gross misjudgment...no one can defend those actions unless you've been completely overwhelmed by the cascade of hysteria.

There will be more hysteria come the winter season, as sure as night follows day!

I don’t know how many times it must be said, but the reason the restrictions stayed as they were for so long was not new variants. This thread is where variants are mentioned more than anywhere. It’s the actual situation on the ground that drove the restrictions. You can argue the appropriateness or otherwise of the duration and severity, however “da variants” as the reason is largely invented here as something else to get angry about.

And you will notice, in attributing bias, I did not ascribe it to any group. Some however is based on reality, other on pure fantasy and / or hysteria, and that includes the likes of the parent I saw loading their children into the car after hurling training and sanitising their kids legs

• Advertisement

And as the RTE article you referenced states, all revenue is up, we are reopening, 100,000s going back to work.

Record amounts of cash all over the country with zero interest rates, pent up demand to spend - that's only going one way.

Like I said Q3 and Q4 will be hot, very hot.

The doom mongering does not in anyway reflect reality.

The “GAA building advisory group”, compiled this evening by 3 fathers of children at under 8 hurling working in construction have reached the conclusion that “things have never been busier” and “there is more work on now than in the boom”. I think 3 is a statistically valid sample size to conclude its boom time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement