Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Those people have been ****ed over to protect a group of older citizens who are totally insulated from the effects of debt added due to lockdown.

What are or will be the effects of the debt added Fintan?

In your own words.

Also "older citizens" contribute to the coffers of the state, quite a large amount far more than you I would imagine.

They also paid for a lot of you up to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

niallo27 wrote: »
    Lads its over, we need to move on.

Niallo - have you told the virus yet?

Not to mention India of course but ...
    Meanwhile, the Indian experience holds a deeper lesson for the world—especially for wealthy countries that have hoarded vaccines and supplies. The constellation of forces that led to India’s crisis—pandemic fatigue, the premature relaxation of precautions, more transmissible variants, limited vaccine supplies, weak health-care infrastructure—is not unique; it’s the default in most of the world. Absent a paradigm shift in our approach, there’s no reason to believe that what’s happening in India today won’t happen somewhere else tomorrow.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/medical-dispatch/inside-indias-covid-19-surge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

charlie14 wrote: »
    So you want to ban them doing so on the same principle of biker helmets in establihments that are holding cash.
    Are you afraid they will jump out of cars and rob you in the street ?

Where was there any mention of banning anyone doing anything?? :confused::confused: Facial expressions are a massive communication tool. That is a fact.

The Cathy Newman school of questioning is ridiculous. So you're saying/want masks to be stitched onto our faces??

See anyone can make up ridiculous nonsense that has nothing to do with what we were talking about, but put "so you want", "so you're saying" in front of it. It's nonsense.

Income and excise tax haul point to 'quick rebound' from Covid-19 slump
    April exchequer returns show the Government collected €16.1bn overall tax revenues during the first four months of the year – up by more than €650m from a year ago
    Income tax receipts were again a star performer, with receipts up by €470m in the year to almost €8bn. Excise duties, which rose by €100m to almost €1.7bn over the same period, also helped the revenue haul
    With the economy gradually reopening, we can expect income tax receipts to remain resilient for the rest of the year. Indeed, income tax looks set to provide an unexpected surplus by year-end.
    The April exchequer figures were "spectacular" given the large sections of the economy that are still locked down, said Fergal O'Brien, director of policy and public affairs at business group Ibec. "They bode well for a quick rebound once all the restrictions are lifted," he said

I've been led to believe it's time to get off the island, because if the potato fails we are doomed?

Something not right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Fandymo wrote: »
    Facial expressions are a massive communication tool. That is a fact.

You should try have a conversation with someone just using facial twitches today, let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Boggles wrote: »

In your own words..

I’ve been wrong about debt, I got a great education on debt on this thread last night.

Apparently debt should be the goal, spending money you don’t have is the best option for the future.

Really can’t understand why we actually pay income tax in this country, surely we just abolish it and borrow the funds required.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

I’ve been wrong about debt, I got a great education on debt on this thread last night.

Apparently debt should be the goal, spending money you don’t have is the best option for the future.

Really can’t understand why we actually pay income tax in this country, surely we just abolish it and borrow the funds required.

Yay printing press goes BRRRRRRRRR.

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1389630970614198279

Nope for the present, you know during a once in a generation pandemic all that, the future based on links provided looks like it will be white hot.

But if you could address the question please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Inflation, Eurozone inflation.

When it picks back up the ECB will raise rates and the magic money tree dies.

Yes, you can stem the tide of debt forever with economic growth if you can borrow at less than 1% forever but if (when) the ECB are charging 3.5% then it's hard, what's even harder is convincing the markets that you can. That's when the billions spent on PUP and other reliefs won't seem like such a great idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Monetary_Theory

Its not the local chipper we are talking about

OwenM wrote: »

Yes, you can stem the tide of debt forever with economic growth if you can borrow at less than 1% forever but if (when) the ECB are charging 3.5% then it's hard, what's even harder is convincing the markets that you can. That's when the billions spent on PUP and other reliefs won't seem like such a great idea.

When will that be?

There seems to a cohort of people on here who thinks they could have navigated the pandemic without borrowing and achieved a surplus.

I'd love to know how?

Ignore it, it's just a flu brah economics I'm guessing.

When will that be?

There seems to a cohort of people on here who thinks they could have navigated the pandemic without borrowing and achieved a surplus.

I'd love to know how?

Not only did Ireland start off Covid with the highest level of debt in Europe they also added the most since

Lets not borrow to repair the leaky roof because, you know, we will have to pay it back. Instead let it get worse until the whole house is destroyed.

Procyclical monetary policy is a dead duck

When will that be?

Last time was 2008, before that was 2000. I can't tell you when, no more than you can say it won't happen.

Not only did Ireland start off Covid with the highest level of debt in Europe they also added the most since

Before Covid having one of the highest debt levels in Europe we also had one of the fastest growing economies, and by the looks of the data released yesterday will continue to do.

So again, third time.

Come on now Fintan, you have declared on here the health service will collapse in June, large swathes of public sector workers will be made unemployed and the debt will "cripple the nation".

Time to start explaining these doom mongering prophecies?

Lets not borrow to repair the leaky roof because, you know, we will have to pay it back.

That's hilarious, if only we were fixing roofs or building high speed rail lines with that money.

Last time was 2008, before that was 2000. I can't tell you when, no more than you can say it won't happen.

I didn't speculate either way, you did.

So it's not really in anyones interest to jack up the rates to 3-4%, is it?

That's hilarious, if only we were fixing roofs or building high speed rail lines with that money.

10 billion to be spent on capital projects this year.

If it makes people sleep better, pretend we borrowed that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

When will that be?

I'd love to know how?

We certainly could have navigated it without taking on tens of billions of additional debt. So many industries and jobs closed down for no good reason. Just to protect politicians from having to take any accountability.

Those tens of billions will have to be paid back and if you think interest rates will stay this low with the money printing presses running 24/7, then you need to do a bit of research in to basic economics.

Borrowing is going to get a whole lot more expensive. Runaway inflation is a deep-rooted fear in Europe and Germany in particular . The ECB will hike rates at the first sniff - my bet is in 12-18 months and then steadily after that.

Then we'll see the true cost of all the unnecessary debt as services are cut and taxes are raised to attempt to reign in borrowings.

I wonder where all the lockdown-cheerleaders will be when that happens?

We certainly could have navigated it without taking on tens of billions of additional debt.

So how much would you have borrowed?

That's hilarious, because somehow you seem to believe that an analogy is a literal statement because you chose to cut of the second half.

Lets not borrow to repair the leaky roof because, you know, we will have to pay it back. Instead let it get worse until the whole house is destroyed.

Procyclical monetary policy is a dead duck

We certainly were not borrowing for repairs

We were borrowing solely to keep the lights on because we shut countless businesses unnecessarily for months on end

The rest of Europe were reopening business this time last year that we are reopening next month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sobit1964 wrote: »

I thought you could only put assets on a balance sheet :pac::pac:

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Before Covid having one of the highest debt levels in Europe we also had one of the fastest growing economies, and by the looks of the data released yesterday will continue to do.

So again, third time.

Come on now Fintan, you have declared on here the health service will collapse in June, large swathes of public sector workers will be made unemployed and the debt will "cripple the nation".

Time to start explaining these doom mongering prophecies?

I never said the health service would collapse, quite the opposite, that was your justification for handing out fines on beaches

You continue to use GDP as a metric for Ireland’s economic performance

No point getting involved in a discussion with someone who persists with that metric

I didn't speculate either way, you did.

So it's not really in anyones interest to jack up the rates to 3-4%, is it?

So you agree it will happen at some stage, and yes it's not in anyones interest to jack rates up, but the Irish government and the central bank will have exactly f*ck all say in the matter when the time comes.

I never said the health service would collapse, quite the opposite, that was your justification for handing out fines on beaches

Ahh you did.
    The country is in ruins, it’s currently masked behind money that’s not ours being borrowed at a rate never seen before

When the exchequer can’t fund the health service and pay wages of public servants in a few months I imagine a few of ye will wonder how when our imaginary GDP is so strong.
    You continue to use GDP as a metric for Ireland’s economic performance

Haven't mentioned GDP. :confused:
    No point getting involved in a discussion with someone who persists with that metric

Now that we have established I didn't do that, will you now explain your doom day prophecies?

For a risk averse country like Ireland we sure have no problem frivolously spending money that we don’t have

Slow and cautious but no problem turning into the wolf of Wall Street when it comes to money

• Advertisement

So you agree it will happen at some stage, and yes it's not in anyones interest to jack rates up, but the Irish government and the central bank will have exactly f*ck all say in the matter when the time comes.

Nope. Can't see how you garnered that from anything I said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement