Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

MOR316 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it bizarre that they had Eamon Ryan down the country, fixing bikes, whilst Micheal Martin and Leo Varadker done the press conference? :D

The guy's position is a ****ing waste of time. What does he actually do?

He may have been doing his bit to help out green supporters avail of inter county travel.
    Somebody has to fix the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's quite obvious there is something wrong with George.

He has been slipping down that road for years.

I'm surprised he hasn't been put on "leave".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Anyone know when 5 a side football will be back open?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

afro man wrote: »
    Whats the story with cross border travel restrictionsdont see it mentioned anywere.. planning a trip up north in mid june am i supposed to isolate when i come back down south ?

I'm north of the border every day for work (and am currently north of it for leisure). I don't have to isolate every day!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

MOR316 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it bizarre that they had Eamon Ryan down the country, fixing bikes, whilst Micheal Martin and Leo Varadker done the press conference? :D

The guy's position is a ****ing waste of time. What does he actually do?

Nothing bizzare at all, have you seen his previous performances? Absolutely dreadful, can't at all figure out what he was actually doing at them, no journalists asking him questions, his only input is following on from an obscure point being made by someone else. Just baffling and embarrassing. I say thank god he wasn't there.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm just amazed at the sudden hysterics about Donegal, where was the reaction when Offaly was far worse two weeks ago?

Philip Nolan was asked on the Katie Hannon show early why 500 cases was extremely worrying 2 weeks ago and suddenly its all fine now.

There's definitely a disturbing new approach to this afoot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I noticed it myself around my area. Less social distancing. I think the numbers will increase steadily over the coming days. Really hope we don't go back into lockdown... Especially not the 5km thing

DehliBelly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Unless we get to 1000s of cases a day I don't think we need to go backwards instead of forwards in terms of restrictions

Bth It's hard not to see NPHET/Government panic. Sure Leo said we have a 'brake system ready' if things go pear-shaped

My head won't be able for another big lockdown and Im not alone in that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm just amazed at the sudden hysterics about Donegal, where was the reaction when Offaly was far worse two weeks ago?

Philip Nolan was asked on the Katie Hannon show early why 500 cases was extremely worrying 2 weeks ago and suddenly its all fine now.

You're comparing apples and oranges here though. We've just been given a roadmap for opening things up and with that comes the risk of more cases. Offaly's numbers were high during level 5 restrictions. They set up a walk-in test centre for Tullamore. And as we know, last summer it was one of three counties that got hit with an inter-county ban.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    Every time I see George Lee reporting on this pandemic it reminds me of his return to RTE after his short leave of absence as a T.D. and him being given the post of agriculture and environment correspondent.
    Sean O Rourke interviewed him shortly afterwards and his opening line was, "Well George other than there being a vacancy, what are your qualifications for the job" ?
    Fergal Bowers is another that often has no comprehension of the information provided.

Fergal Bowers is just morose at the best of times, hard to comprehend his mumbling. George Lee does get a little excitable but in fairness he reports it as it is, he doesn't sugar coat bad news and does report positives when there are some to report.

We get Fergal Bowers Monday to Wednesday, George takes over wed to Saturday and bowers does an article for the website Saturday. Nice work if you can get it and on salary of near €100k per year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Unless we get to 1000s of cases a day I don't think we need to go backwards instead of forwards in terms of restrictions

Bth It's hard not to see NPHET/Government panic. Sure Leo said we have a 'brake system ready' if things go pear-shaped

Where are you getting these ideas about big lockdowns? Unless we are beset with new variants that can't be controlled, that's not going to happen. If you look at the science elsewhere in the world you'll see that the numbers drop once people get vaccinated. Now that the pharmaceutical companies have figured out how to make vaccines for Covid, you'd hope that they'll be able to tweak them for future vaccinations. There's money in covid vaccines so going forward, they'll get better at making these more quickly.

Honestly, I think hanging around these coronavirus forums on boards is doing some people (I'm not naming names) more harm than good. The negativity, fearmongering, toxicity and conspiracy theories that appear here are every bit as bad as the "hysteria" the media is accused of.

Tork wrote: »
    You're comparing apples and oranges here though. We've just been given a roadmap for opening things up and with that comes the risk of more cases. Offaly's numbers were high during level 5 restrictions. They set up a walk-in test centre for Tullamore. And as we know, last summer it was one of three counties that got hit with an inter-county ban.

Apples and oranges? There's been a testing centre there for at least 10 months, Offaly and particularly tullamore had the highest rates in the country for nearly two weeks, 4 school outbreaks and a large creche and barely a whisper, not apples and oranges, Facts I'm afraid.

My sense is lockdowns now completely off the agenda, I don't believe there is a Brake system, they've decided no more lockdowns, it's all about the money being spent, I get we need to move on but would have preferred more vacinnes completed and less new cases. Greatest worry is they don't have a plan B.

Donegal in the spotlight now, they previously blamed cross border activities, that excuse no longer applicable if as we are led to believe most in Northern Ireland have had at least one dose of Vacinne.

Fergal Bowers is just morose at the best of times, hard to comprehend his mumbling. George Lee does get a little excitable but in fairness he reports it as it is, he doesn't sugar coat bad news and does report positives when there are some to report.

We get Fergal Bowers Monday to Wednesday, George takes over wed to Saturday and bowers does an article for the website Saturday. Nice work if you can get it and on salary of near €100k per year

Bowers can be difficult to understand at times, but at least he has some background in the area. He was editor for both the Irish Medical News and irishhealth.com. Didn`t stop him making a bit of an eejit of himself recently on vaccination numbers and still attempting to defend it when he was shown to be wrong.
    Lee is an economist and totally misrepresented what was said to him in an interview with his later summary.
    Really not good enough from either of them.
    I have no idea what salary they are on now. It has been cut since I imagine, but in 2016 Lee he was on 179K.

I`m originally from Donegal, and in fairness I can see why they are pissed off over the numbers.
    The have been consistently high, and while there was a case to be made for the cause of that when both Derry and Strabane were among the highest rates of infection in Northern Ireland, that can no longer be said.

I wouldn`t see new case being that much of a factor in any review. It will be more to do with hospital numbers, I.C.U. numbers and vaccination levels imo.

I wouldn`t see new case being that much of a factor in any review. It will be more to do with hospital numbers, I.C.U. numbers and vaccination levels imo.

Yeah true and it's something that us general public have no control over

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's not off already.

Daddys just threatening to get out the wooden spoon if we dont behave. Cant be just giving us freedom and treating us like adults, have to make sure we know we are still bold boys and girls who can be grounded again at minutes notice

(though the reality is, at this point the threats seem emptier given we haven't a pot to piss in and the government desperately need the economy open)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Daddys just threatening to get out the wooden spoon if we dont behave. Cant be just giving us freedom and treating us like adults, have to make sure we know we are still bold boys and girls who can be grounded again at minutes notice

(though the reality is, at this point the threats seem emptier given we haven't a pot to piss in and the government desperately need the economy open)

If everyone acts like adults they're won't be a reason to get out the wooden spoon.

• Advertisement

Vaccination levels are dependent on companies delivering what they promise, so nothing we can do about that. Not acting the eejit would help with the rest though.

. Not acting the eejit would help with the rest though.

Yep when did us Irish ever not do that

Personal responsibility and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Brian O Driscoll and Ken Doherty in the UK at the moment commentating. Hardly essential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Excuse my ignorance but when is the next review of restrictions going to be? End of May or end of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

General public no control of people getting sick?

Excuse my ignorance but when is the next review of restrictions going to be? End of May or end of June?

May as far as I remember

shamco wrote: »
    Brian O Driscoll and Ken Doherty in the UK at the moment commentating. Hardly essential

People doing there job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

People doing there job

Down with that sort of thing!

General public no control of people getting sick?

Covid much like other contagious diseases we may not know were sick and in turn dont know were spreading it

In other words no ****s were given and we enjoyed life and hopefully that sort of mentality will return soon

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    I would presume because all of the above requir adults in indoor / difficult to social distance/ close contact spaces. And yes schooling has been made an exception to that. But afaics that's reasonable for the moment. Once indoor stuff starts opening during summer - reckon a lot of that will stsrt to resume.

Yes do hope so, things look on the up right now. Thread hasn’t been as quiet in a long time, sign of better days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement