Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation.

At first, we were sold the lie that vaccination was highly effective and therefore freedoms would be restored.

The former part was true: vaccinations are still highly effective.

But freedoms are not being restored. And NPHET are standing in the way.

I wonder why.

It clearly has nothing to do with egomaniacal power-hungry civil servants.

I dunno. Like the letter is nonsense but NPHET are supposed to be an advisory committee at the end of the day.

I feel like the government are just frozen and crippled with fear of being held accountable for one of these doomsday scenarios

The whole point of governance is to balance risk with the impact on the economy and it just seems like they're completely paralysed with fear after what happened in January

EVEN though we have what, 40% fully vaxxed now and 65% with one dose?

Circa 300k vaccinated per week as well, picking up even more steam with the new NIAC advice.

It's just bizarre. And sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Are the staff at much of a risk if all the customers are vaccinated?

Well if they're not why keep the restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Stheno wrote: »
    This is like the infamous 9500 cases a day they predicted in March for July

Pretty much all the lockdowns everywhere were based off models that have been proven time and again to be completely inaccurate. They can pretty much feed it the info to get whatever result they want so that whatever they are suggesting is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well gents It’s been nice to pop back into this thread and forum but that’s me gone again because that letter from NPHET makes it clear that a July 5th reopening is gone for a burton so no point in worrying about something I can’t control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It’s like choosing the most extreme outlier in a 1000 ensemble Probabilistic model and basing decisions in real life on it

It’s pretty much equiv of issuing a red weather warning every day in perpetuity, just in case

Weak weak weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If the last 15 months have taught us anything, it’s that the level of risk must always be zero for everything.

Well the government are the ones considering it, it was just some random on Twitter giving out.

Necro wrote: »

Circa 300k vaccinated per week as well, picking up even more steam with the new NIAC advice.

True, their advice should never be ignored. But governance is, as you say, about more than just potential hospitalizations from one illness.

What's worse is that evidence from the UK does not translate into a wave of hospitalizations and deaths. Instead, it's more of a shallow ripple. More than the health service can cope with, in fact.

Why can't we at least copy the UK? Why can't we hold off on night clubs etc. until a later date?

Why does NPHET assume that Irish people are always at a higher risk of death than residents of the UK?

RoryMac wrote: »
    Well if they're not why keep the restrictions?

Which restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Government have hitched their wagon to NPHET. “Following the advice” will be the mantra of every senior politician who will appear in front of the future tribunal which will be established in the coming years to examine how the country was bankrupted.

NPHET have been gerrymandered to give one single viewpoint. It is stuffed with single-issue, over-cautious, medical bureaucrats. There are no representatives of business, tourism, education, mental health or sociologists. The Government do not want a range of options being spat out of NPHET because then they would have to make a choice which they could be held accountable for. Round and round we go. We are now the most indebted nation in Europe and it’s growing every single day.

We are basically funding one of the most expensive arse-covering exercises in history.

I think you might find that the clue is in the name

National Public Health Emergency Team

Nphets remit from day one has been to advise on public health in relation to Covid. It is then up to the government to take into consideration of any business, tourism, education, mental health or social issues.

Interestingly Ireland had significant amount of debt long before Covid. And no country in Europe has avoided incurring significant additional debt over the last 18 months, Ireland included.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I dunno. Like the letter is nonsense but NPHET are supposed to be an advisory committee at the end of the day.

I feel like the government are just frozen and crippled with fear of being held accountable for one of these doomsday scenarios

The whole point of governance is to balance risk with the impact on the economy and it just seems like they're completely paralysed with fear after what happened in January

This. 100% this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

This is cruel and borderline sadistic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That letter... wow. Just wow. I know they're modelling for worse case scenarios but that's like something George A. Romero would come up with

It's absolutely nuts.

Or George A. Lee

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

eskimohunt wrote: »
    True, their advice should never be ignored. But governance is, as you say, about more than just potential hospitalizations from one illness.

What's worse is that evidence from the UK does not translate into a wave of hospitalizations and deaths. Instead, it's more of a shallow ripple. More than the health service can cope with, in fact.

Yeah exactly. We've been told for months that it's the hospitalizations and ICU numbers that matter and that is clearly and evidently the case based on the downward trend

But now we're firing the baby out with the bathwater at the first little hiccup on the road. I might actually throw something at my TV if Martin tells us 'the end is in sight' again tomorrow or whenever he makes his announcement.

Mice in a cage, with Tony Holohan breathing down our necks.

It's a nightmare scene only Stanley Kubrick could have summoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Yeah exactly. We've been told for months that it's the hospitalizations and ICU numbers that matter and that is clearly and evidently the case based on the downward trend

But now we're firing the baby out with the bathwater at the first little hiccup on the road. I might actually throw something at my TV if Martin tells us 'the end is in sight' again tomorrow or whenever he makes his announcement.

What are the chances he'll use the "it's like a new virus" bullshít again..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

They will always go with NPHET after their solo disaster in january-no balls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I don’t blame NPHET, they are just being overly cautious. It’s less risk for them to show worst case. Their remit is health.

I blame the government, they are supposed to govern with the bigger picture in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

funnydoggy wrote: »

Delta doubleplusungood

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

“ It threatens to push the reopening of Irish society into September, with reviews of the landscape in the interim.”

People on here suggested this last night and were shouted down for scaremongering

I am not sure how people can think that the reopening being delayed due to fear of delta is somehow magically going to be allowed to happen on 2/3 weeks when the delta numbers actually kick in !

If the leader of the country blindly follows NPHET advice now we CBA forget about indoors until next year
    I can’t believe I’m actually saying that as I argued against my brother a few weeks ago when he said just that . Based on a conversation with a local publican

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

What an absolute joke. I hope everyone in Ireland is ready for the insane tax increases incoming to pay for this ridiculously slow approach

• Advertisement

funnydoggy wrote: »

Actually, Martin coined the phrase, "it's a new beast", when referring to the Kent ("Alpha") variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I don't know...part of me thinks that maybe the government are thinking that letter is THAT crazy that it will push them the other way. If they they follow NPHET advice they will not open indoor dining for the summer that's obvious now. So I'm not convinced this is over just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I know, the cabinet committee on covid picked an awful time to meet with this France game.

Struggling to just watch the match... cruel & sadistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Are any of the lads who told us this wasn’t going to happen around tonight? They’re gone very quiet.

growleaves wrote: »
    Delta doubleplusungood

Newspeak is a bit cringe, I can turn my TV off and ride who I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Are we actually going to end up with a situation where you can leave the country on the 19th but can't sit in a restaurant for a meal. That would be truly incredible.

Or is travel off the cards now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

This has actually hit me hard for some reason. My head is wrecked. Anger, sadness, frustration. Feeling so sorry for those working in tourism, hospitality etc. I'd love to say there's brighter days ahead but as a country we seem paralysed. Before you know it the summer will be over. Life can be brutally short folks, and these guys are playing games with ours while they sit in their ivory towers on big salaries.

Are any of the lads who told us this wasn’t going to happen around tonight? They’re gone very quiet.

I don't think that was me but I did have a sort of blind optimism based on the previous successful re-openings in the past few months with no real spike in case numbers or more importantly, hospital numbers. In fact they're still continuing to fall.

That letter from NPHET though, has someone there been watching Contagion again in the past week or something?

Still, it's on the government. They can accept the NPHET advice in part and still push on tbh, that's literally what they are there to do (though it seems very often a difficult thing for them to grasp)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

This has actually hit me hard for some reason. My head is wrecked. Anger, sadness, frustration. Feeling so sorry for those working in tourism, hospitality etc. I'd love to say there's brighter days ahead but as a country we seem paralysed. Before you know it the summer will be over. Life can be brutally short folks, and these guys are playing games with ours while they sit in their ivory towers on big salaries.

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Are we actually going to end up with a situation where you can leave the country on the 19th but can't sit in a restaurant for a meal. That would be truly incredible.

Or is travel off the cards now too?

Seen nothing on travel...

Assume NPHET want that wiped too...Which means going against EU policies...Which will be very interesting to see them justify

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement